Curtis E Margo
Affiliation: University of South Florida
- Diet pills and the cataract outbreak of 1935: reflections on the evolution of consumer protection legislationCurtis E Margo
Department of Ophthalmology, Morsani College of Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, USA Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, Morsani College of Medicine, University of South Florida, FL, USA Electronic address
Surv Ophthalmol 59:568-73. 2014..We review the DNP cataract outbreak and examine it in context of the challenges facing regulatory reform at that time. ..
- Blindness and the age of enlightenment: Diderot's letter on the blindCurtis E Margo
Department of Ophthalmology, University of South Florida, Morsani College of Medicine, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
JAMA Ophthalmol 131:98-102. 2013..The essay did little to resolve any philosophical controversy, but it marked a turning point in Western attitudes toward visual disability...
- Clinically unsuspected retinal hemangioblastoma in a blind eye as the initial manifestation of von Hippel-Lindau diseaseTimothy Saunders
Department of Ophthalmology, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, United States
Pathol Res Pract 208:186-8. 2012..Awareness of the context in which retinal hemangioblastoma can be found may be the most important factor in recognizing this lesion microscopically...
- The visual impairment and inscrutable disease of Samuel JohnsonCurtis E Margo
Department of Pathology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, Florida, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 57:66-76. 2012....
- Langerhans cell histiocytosisCurtis E Margo
Department of Ophthalmology and Pathology, University of South Florida, College of Medicine, Tampa, Florida, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 53:332-58. 2008..This article summarizes recent developments in understanding the biology of Langerhans cell histiocytosis, reviews its ophthalmic manifestations, prognosis, and the controversy surrounding treatment of isolated orbital disease...
- The curious blindness of Charles F. LummisCurtis E Margo
Department of Ophthalmology, University of South Florida, 12901 Bruce B Downs Blvd, MDC Box 21, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 129:655-60. 2011..The cause of Lummis's stroke and blindness has been the subject of speculation for nearly a century and involves one of the most sensitive and perplexing diagnoses in medicine...
- Emergency department eye care in Florida: a study of principal payer sources 2005 through 2009Matthew T Witmer
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 130:25-32. 2012..To describe trends in health insurance coverage for emergency department (ED) eye care in Florida from January 1, 2005, through December 31, 2009...
- The blind photographer. Observations on the bewildering nature of feigned vision lossCurtis E Margo
Departments of Ophthalmology CEM, Leh, MD and Pathology and Cell Biology CEM, Morsani College of Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida
J Neuroophthalmol 33:367-9. 2013..We describe the historical figure of John Howard Griffin (1920-1980) who likely perpetuated feigned vision loss for a decade. His writings provide a unique perspective on motivation (or inspiration) behind factitious disease...
- Posterior vitreous detachment. How to approach sudden-onset floaters and flashing lightsCurtis E Margo
Department of Ophthalmology, Watson Clinic, Lakeland, Florida, USA
Postgrad Med 117:37-42. 2005..Patients without retinal pathologic findings on initial examination need to be given careful instructions on what to expect and do should symptoms of retinal tear or detachment occur...
- Analysis of ophthalmology workforce and delivery of emergency department eye care in FloridaMatthew T Witmer
Departments of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 127:1522-7. 2009..To measure annual population-based volume of emergency department (ED) eye care and concurrent ophthalmology on-call coverage...
- Quality care and practice variation: the roles of practice guidelines and public profilesCurtis E Margo
Department of Ophthalmology, Watson Clinic, LLP, Lakeland, Florida 33805, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 49:359-71. 2004..This review examines the "variation phenomenon" in medicine and the roles that practice guidelines and physician profiling have in improving health care, in general, and for adult cataract, in particular...
- Uveitis: the collaborative diagnostic evaluationLynn E Harman
University of South Florida, Morsani College of Medicine, Tampa, FL, USA
Am Fam Physician 90:711-6. 2014..Primary ocular lymphoma should be considered in persons older than 50 years with persistent intermediate or posterior uveitis that does not respond to anti-inflammatory therapy. ..
- Rudolf Virchow's medical school dissertation on rheumatism and the cornea: overlooked tribute to the cornea in biomedical researchCurtis E Margo
Departments of Ophthalmology, and Pathology and Cell Biology, Morsani College of Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL
Cornea 34:235-8. 2015..To critique Rudolf Virchow's medical school dissertation on rheumatism and the cornea and to determine whether it might have anticipated his remarkable career in medicine...
- Ocular manifestations of monoclonal copper-binding immunoglobulinSejal Shah
Department of Ophthalmology, University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine, Tampa, Florida, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 59:115-23. 2014..Despite prolonged exposure to elevated serum copper, no other tissues in the body are adversely affected by this redox metal. We describe the clinical and pathological findings in a 46-year-old woman with this disorder...
- Ocular pseudoexfoliation and cardiovascular disease: a national cross-section comparison studyDustin D French
Department of Ophthalmology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and VA Center of Excellence Chicago, IL, USA
N Am J Med Sci 4:468-73. 2012..The microfibrillar material that gives rise to the condition is visible clinically in the anterior segment of the eye, and is also found in other tissues, including blood vessels, skin, gallbladder, kidneys, lungs, and heart...
- Intraocular medulloepitheliomaTimothy Saunders
Department of Ophthalmology, University of South Florida, Tampa, 33612, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 136:212-6. 2012..The histologic differential diagnosis of medulloepithelioma is broad, ranging from retinoblastoma and sarcoma to ciliary epithelial adenoma and adenocarcinoma...
- The reliability of clinical methods in ophthalmologyCurtis E Margo
The Department of Ophthalmology, Watson Clinic, Lakeland, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 47:375-86. 2002..This review will examine the conceptual relationship of reliability, accuracy, and validity. The role of observer reliability in ophthalmic test measurements and interpretations will be addressed in the context of three case reports...
- Iris melanomaEvita Henderson
Department of Pathology, Veterans Administration Hospital, Tampa, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 132:268-72. 2008..There is evidence that the proliferation of melanocytes of the anterior iris surface (iris plaque) and diffuse stromal invasion may be risk factors for local recurrence and metastasis, respectively...
- Tilted optic disksMatthew T Witmer
Department of Ophthalmology, University of South Florida, College of Medicine, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 55:403-28. 2010..Familiarity with the spectrum of ophthalmoscopic appearance and the clinical manifestations of tilted disks may be the most critical factors in avoiding misdiagnosis...
- Episcleral pseudomelanoma: late complication of scleral tunnel incisionCurtis E Margo
Department of Ophthalmology, Watson Clinic, LLP, Lakeland, Florida 33805, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 135:387-9. 2003..To describe two patients who developed scleral thinning as a late complication of scleral tunnel incision for cataract extraction...
- Hospitalization for nontraumatic disorders of the eye and ocular adnexa: analysis of the Florida agency for health care administration data setZuber D Mulla
Discipline of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, El Paso Regional Campus, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 122:262-6. 2004..To study the demographic features and patterns of hospital admission in Florida for nontraumatic disorders of the eye and ocular adnexa...
- Use of standard hematoxylin-eosin to stain gouty tophus specimensCurtis E Margo
Arch Ophthalmol 122:665. 2004