- Mancuso P. Obesity and respiratory infections: does excess adiposity weigh down host defense?. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2013;26:412-9 pubmed publisher..Additional clinical and animal studies are needed to clarify the relationship between increased adiposity and susceptibility to community-acquired and nosocomial pneumonia. ..
- Dolan J, Weinberg J, O Brien E, Abashian A, Procario M, Aronoff D, et al. Increased lethality and defective pulmonary clearance of Streptococcus pneumoniae in microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1-knockout mice. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2016;310:L1111-20 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that specific inhibition of PGE2 synthesis by targeting mPGES-1 may weaken host defense against bacterial infections. ..
- Mancuso P, Gottschalk A, Phare S, Peters Golden M, Lukacs N, Huffnagle G. Leptin-deficient mice exhibit impaired host defense in Gram-negative pneumonia. J Immunol. 2002;168:4018-24 pubmed..This study demonstrates for the first time that leptin-deficient mice display impaired host defense in bacterial pneumonia that may be due to a defect in alveolar macrophage phagocytosis and leukotriene synthesis. ..
- Mancuso P, Lewis C, Serezani C, Goel D, Peters Golden M. Intrapulmonary administration of leukotriene B4 enhances pulmonary host defense against pneumococcal pneumonia. Infect Immun. 2010;78:2264-71 pubmed publisher..The results of the current study in an animal model serve as a proof of concept for the potential utility of treatment with aerosolized LTB(4) as an immunostimulatory strategy in patients with bacterial pneumonia...
- Mancuso P, Peters Golden M, Goel D, Goldberg J, Brock T, Greenwald Yarnell M, et al. Disruption of leptin receptor-STAT3 signaling enhances leukotriene production and pulmonary host defense against pneumococcal pneumonia. J Immunol. 2011;186:1081-90 pubmed publisher..These data provide novel insights into the intracellular signaling events by which leptin contributes to host defense against bacterial pneumonia. ..