Elizabeth A Manci
Affiliation: University of South Alabama
- Causes of death in sickle cell disease: an autopsy studyElizabeth A Manci
Centralized Pathology Unit for Sickle Cell Disease, Department of Pathology, University of South Alabama, Mobile, USA
Br J Haematol 123:359-65. 2003..3%). This study shows that the first 24 h after presentation for medical care is an especially perilous time for patients with sickle cell disease and an acute event. Close monitoring and prompt aggressive treatment are warranted...
- Perivascular fibrosis in the bone marrow in sickle cell diseaseElizabeth A Manci
Department of Pathology, University of South Alabama, Mobile 36604, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 128:634-9. 2004..The pattern of these signals is reminiscent of the underlying vascular architecture, but histopathology of this tissue has not been adequately studied...
- Cardiofaciocutaneous syndrome (CFC) with congenital peripheral neuropathy and nonorganic malnutrition: an autopsy studyElizabeth A Manci
Pediatric Pathology, University of South Alabama Children s and Women s Hospital, Mobile, 36604, USA
Am J Med Genet A 137:1-8. 2005..Additional studies of other cases of CFC are needed...
- Pathology of Berkeley sickle cell mice: similarities and differences with human sickle cell diseaseElizabeth A Manci
Department of Pathology, Centralized Pathology Unit for Sickle Cell Disease, University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL 36604, USA
Blood 107:1651-8. 2006..While our study reinforces the fundamental strength of this model, the notable differences warrant careful consideration when drawing parallels to human sickle cell disease...
- Chimerism and cure: hematologic and pathologic correction of murine sickle cell diseaseLeslie S Kean
Division of Hem/Onc/BMT, Department of Pediatrics, Emory University School of Medicine, 2040 Ridgewood Dr NE, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Blood 102:4582-93. 2003..As the critical hematopoietic organs were not corrected without full RBC replacement, 100% peripheral blood RBC chimerism becomes the most important benchmark for cure after nonmyeloablative BMT...
- Hemolysis in sickle cell mice causes pulmonary hypertension due to global impairment in nitric oxide bioavailabilityLewis L Hsu
Marian Anderson Sickle Cell Center at St Christopher s Hospital for Children, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19134, USA
Blood 109:3088-98. 2007..Although the time course is shorter than typical pulmonary hypertension in human sickle cell disease, these results demonstrate that hemolytic anemia is sufficient to produce endothelial dysfunction and global dysregulation of NO...
- Morphological and functional platelet abnormalities in Berkeley sickle cell miceArun S Shet
The Laboratory of Blood and Vascular Biology, Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065, USA
Blood Cells Mol Dis 41:109-18. 2008..Thus, additional studies are needed to assess whether large platelets contribute either to pulmonary hypertension or the large vessel arterial occlusion that produces stroke in some children with sickle cell disease...