Susan M Majka
Affiliation: University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
- Evidence for cell fusion is absent in vascular lesions associated with pulmonary arterial hypertensionS M Majka
Cardiovascular Pulmonary Research, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 295:L1028-39. 2008..We found no evidence of increased ploidy to suggest cell fusion. Taken together, these data suggest that abnormal lesion formation in PAH occurs in the absence of cell fusion...
- Identification of novel resident pulmonary stem cells: form and function of the lung side populationSusan M Majka
Department of Medicine, Cardiovascular Pulmonary Research Section, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 East 9th Avenue, SOM 3811, mail stop B 133, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Stem Cells 23:1073-81. 2005..The identification of this target population will potentially allow earlier treatment and, long term, a functional restoration of injured pulmonary tissue and lung health...
- Pleiotropic role of VEGF-A in regulating fetal pulmonary mesenchymal cell turnoverS Majka
Department of Medicine, Cardiovascular Pulmonary Research Section, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 E 9th Ave, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 290:L1183-92. 2006....
- De novo generation of white adipocytes from the myeloid lineage via mesenchymal intermediates is age, adipose depot, and gender specificSusan M Majka
Charles C Gates Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Biology Program, Department of Pediatrics, Cardiovascular Pulmonary Research Laboratory, University of Colorado, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:14781-6. 2010..BMP-derived adipocytes may, therefore, account in part for adipose depot heterogeneity and detrimental changes in adipose metabolism and inflammation with aging and adiposity...
- Reduction of reactive oxygen species prevents hypoxia-induced CREB depletion in pulmonary artery smooth muscle cellsDwight J Klemm
Cardiovascular Pulmonary Research Laboratory, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 58:181-91. 2011..The data indicate that CREB levels in the arterial wall are regulated in part by oxidants produced in response to hypoxia and that CREB plays a crucial role in regulating SMC phenotype and PA remodeling...
- Analysis and isolation of adipocytes by flow cytometrySusan M Majka
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Methods Enzymol 537:281-96. 2014..These procedures are applicable to simple analysis of adipocytes and their subcellular constituents by flow cytometry as well as isolation of adipocytes by flow sorting. ..
- Attenuated Pik3r1 expression prevents insulin resistance and adipose tissue macrophage accumulation in diet-induced obese miceCarrie E McCurdy
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, Colorado, USA
Diabetes 61:2495-505. 2012....
- Osteoblasts derived from induced pluripotent stem cells form calcified structures in scaffolds both in vitro and in vivoGanna Bilousova
Charles C Gates Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Biology Program, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Stem Cells 29:206-16. 2011....
- Concise review: adipocyte origins: weighing the possibilitiesSusan M Majka
Gates Center for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Stem Cells 29:1034-40. 2011..This review will examine each of these process and their relevance to normal adipose tissue formation and contribution to obesity-related diseases...
- Rosiglitazone promotes development of a novel adipocyte population from bone marrow-derived circulating progenitor cellsJoseph T Crossno
Research Section, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, CO, USA
J Clin Invest 116:3220-8. 2006..We conclude that TZDs and high-fat feeding promote the trafficking of BM-derived circulating progenitor cells to adipose tissue and their differentiation into ML adipocytes...
- Mice deficient in galectin-1 exhibit attenuated physiological responses to chronic hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertensionD Case
Cardiovascular Pulmonary Research Laboratory, Division of Cardiology and Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Science Center, 4200 E 9th Avenue, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 292:L154-64. 2007..These results suggest that Gal-1 influences the contractile response to hypoxia and subsequent remodeling during hypoxia-induced PH, which influences disease progression...
- Depletion of cAMP-response element-binding protein/ATF1 inhibits adipogenic conversion of 3T3-L1 cells ectopically expressing CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein (C/EBP) alpha, C/EBP beta, or PPAR gamma 2Keith E Fox
Research Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80220, USA
J Biol Chem 281:40341-53. 2006..The data also indicate that CREB not only functions during the initiation of adipogenic conversion but also at later stages...
- Adult lung side population cells have mesenchymal stem cell potentialJ Martin
Division of Cardiology, Cardiovascular Pulmonary Laboratory, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Cytotherapy 10:140-51. 2008..METHODS We carried these observations forward by analyzing the MSC potential of single-cell clones, as well as their chromosomal stability and telomerase activity...
- Neonatal lung side population cells demonstrate endothelial potential and are altered in response to hyperoxia-induced lung simplificationD Irwin
Department of Medicine, Cardiovascular Pulmonary Research Section, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 293:L941-51. 2007..The hyperoxia-induced changes in lung SP cells may limit their ability to effectively contribute to tissue morphogenesis during room air recovery...
- Altered phenotype and reduced function of muscle-derived hematopoietic stem cellsShannon L McKinney-Freeman
Center for Cell and Gene Therapy, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Tex 77030, USA
Exp Hematol 31:806-14. 2003..Here we sought to clarify contradictions in the literature regarding the phenotype of ms-HSC and precisely define the hematopoietic origin of these cells...
- Distinct progenitor populations in skeletal muscle are bone marrow derived and exhibit different cell fates during vascular regenerationSusan M Majka
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Nutrition Research Center, Center for Cell and Gene Therapy, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Clin Invest 111:71-9. 2003..Thus, distinct populations of vascular progenitors are resident within skeletal muscle, are derived from bone marrow, and exhibit different cell fates during injury-induced vascular regeneration...
- Stem cells: a minireviewKathyjo A Jackson
Center for Cell and Gene Therapy and Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Cell Biochem Suppl 38:1-6. 2002..Caution is urged when interpreting these types of experiments because although they are stimulating, limitations of the technologies may provide misleading results...