Affiliation: University of Florida
- Intestinal microbial ecology and environmental factors affecting necrotizing enterocolitisRoberto Murgas Torrazza
Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e83304. 2013..Antibiotic usage correlated with these differences and combined with type of feeding likely plays a critical role in the development of NEC. ..
- Bacteriophage Administration Reduces the Concentration of Listeria monocytogenes in the Gastrointestinal Tract and Its Translocation to Spleen and Liver in Experimentally Infected MiceVolker Mai
Department of Microbiology and Cell Science, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Int J Microbiol 2010:624234. 2010..Our data support the potential feasibility of using bacteriophages to control proliferation of L. monocytogenes in mice without affecting commensal microbiota composition...
- Distortions in development of intestinal microbiota associated with late onset sepsis in preterm infantsVolker Mai
Department of Epidemiology, College of Public Health and Health Professions and College of Medicine and Emerging Pathogens Institute, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
PLoS ONE 8:e52876. 2013..Bifidobacteria counts were lower in cases at all time points. Our results support the hypothesis that a distortion in normal microbiota composition, and not an enrichment of potential pathogens, is associated with LOS in preterm infants...
- Fecal microbiota in premature infants prior to necrotizing enterocolitisVolker Mai
Department of Microbiology and Cell Sciences and Emerging Pathogens Institute, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e20647. 2011..Our observations suggest that abnormal patterns of microbiota and potentially a novel pathogen contribute to the etiology of NEC...
- Associations between dietary habits and body mass index with gut microbiota composition and fecal water genotoxicity: an observational study in African American and Caucasian American volunteersVolker Mai
Microbiology and Cell Science, Emerging Pathogens Institute, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
Nutr J 8:49. 2009..Diet might change the composition and the activities of the intestinal microbiota, in turn affecting fecal genotoxicity/mutagenicity that is thought to be associated with carcinogenesis...
- A large-scale benchmark study of existing algorithms for taxonomy-independent microbial community analysisYijun Sun
Interdisciplinary Center for Biotechnology Research, University of Florida, PO Box 103622, Gainesville, FL 32610 3622, USA
Brief Bioinform 13:107-21. 2012....
- Pilot study using proteomics to identify predictive biomarkers of necrotizing enterocolitis from buccal swabs in very low birth weight infantsRoberto Murgas Torrazza
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla, USA
Neonatology 104:234-42. 2013..Necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) is a major cause of death and morbidity in very low birth weight infants...
- Intestinal dysbiosis and depletion of butyrogenic bacteria in Clostridium difficile infection and nosocomial diarrheaVijay C Antharam
College of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
J Clin Microbiol 51:2884-92. 2013..difficile infection. Mechanistic studies focusing on the functional roles of these organisms in diarrheal diseases and resistance against C. difficile colonization are warranted. ..
- M-pick, a modularity-based method for OTU picking of 16S rRNA sequencesXiaoyu Wang
Department of Epidemiology, College of Public Health and Health Professions and College of Medicine, Emerging Pathogens Institute, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 14:43. 2013..Furthermore, existing binning methods usually require a priori decisions regarding binning parameters such as a distance level for defining an OTU...
- Advanced computational algorithms for microbial community analysis using massive 16S rRNA sequence dataYijun Sun
Interdisciplinary Center for Biotechnology Research, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610 3622, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 38:e205. 2010..Our approach provides rigorous statistical tools for sequence-based studies aimed at elucidating associations between known or unknown organisms and a variety of physiological or environmental conditions...
- Biomarkers for infants at risk for necrotizing enterocolitis: clues to prevention?Christopher Young
Department of Pediatrics, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Pediatr Res 65:91R-97R. 2009..The application of newly developed "omic" approaches may provide biomarkers for early diagnosis and targeted prevention of this disease...
- Culture-independent identification of gut bacteria correlated with the onset of diabetes in a rat modelLuiz F W Roesch
Department of Microbiology and Cell Science, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611 0700, USA
ISME J 3:536-48. 2009..Quantitative PCR verified the higher abundance of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium in the BB-DR samples. Whether these changes are caused by diabetes or are involved in the development of the disease is unknown...
- Recent advances and remaining gaps in our knowledge of associations between gut microbiota and human healthVolker Mai
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
World J Gastroenterol 15:81-5. 2009..Translating findings from these studies into effective interventions that can improve health, possibly personalized based on an individuals existing microbiota, will be the task for the next decade(s)...
- Effects of almond and pistachio consumption on gut microbiota composition in a randomised cross-over human feeding studyMaria Ukhanova
Department of Epidemiology and Emerging Pathogens Institute, University of Florida, 2055 Mowry Road, Gainesville, FL32610 0009, USA
Br J Nutr 111:2146-52. 2014..Increasing the consumption of almonds or pistachios appears to be an effective means of modifying gut microbiota composition...
- Fecal lactic acid bacteria increased in adolescents randomized to whole-grain but not refined-grain foods, whereas inflammatory cytokine production decreased equally with both interventionsBobbi Langkamp-Henken
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
J Nutr 142:2025-32. 2012..Overall, incorporating either WG or RG foods increased serum antioxidant concentrations and decreased inflammatory cytokine production; however, WG study foods had more of an effect on aspects of gastrointestinal health...
- A roadmap for understanding and preventing necrotizing enterocolitisJosef Neu
1600 Southwest Archer Road, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 10:450-7. 2008..Newly developed proteomic and metabolomic approaches also offer exciting new potential for early diagnosis and prevention of this disease in infants at highest risk...