Affiliation: University of California
- Giant mesenteric cystic lymphangioma presenting with abdominal pain and masquerading as a gynecologic malignancyJohn Maa
Department of Surgery, University of California
Rare Tumors 1:e48. 2009..We describe an atypical case of an abdominal cystic lymphangioma, which did not manifest until adulthood, with atypical symptoms of a rapidly expanding and symptomatic mass...
- Exporting excellence for Whipple resection to refine the Leapfrog InitiativeJohn Maa
Department of Surgery, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94103, USA
J Surg Res 138:189-97. 2007..We hypothesized that defining exportable elements of the Whipple resection could allow a low volume hospital (LVH) to improve upon its processes of care to safely attempt these procedures...
- Technique for placement of lumboperitoneal catheters using a combined laparoscopic procedure with the Seldinger micropuncture techniqueJohn Maa
Department of Surgery, University of California at San Francisco, CA 94143 0790, USA
J Am Coll Surg 207:e5-7. 2008
- The surgical hospitalist: a new solution for emergency surgical care?John Maa
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Bull Am Coll Surg 92:8-17. 2007
- The surgical hospitalist: a new model for emergency surgical careJohn Maa
Department of Surgery, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
J Am Coll Surg 205:704-11. 2007..In July 2005, we restructured the general surgery service at our medical center into a hospitalist model to improve patient access to surgical care...
- Emerging trends in the outsourcing of medical and surgical careJennifer B Boyd
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, 94143 0790, USA
Arch Surg 146:107-12. 2011..Ultimately, the balance between cost savings, quality, and patient satisfaction will be the key determinant in the future of medical outsourcing...
- Treatment of recurrent, multiloculated, obstructive hydrocephalus with suprahepatic peritoneal catheter placementNathan C Rowland
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0112, USA
J Clin Neurosci 20:1038-9. 2013..We present a patient with refractory hydrocephalus in which a multishunt system with drainage into the suprahepatic space was ultimately successful in decompressing the patient's trapped ventricular spaces...
- Laparoscopic shunt revision avoids many complications of open shunt revision and has outcomes similar to first-time shunt placementHeather Logghe
Department of Surgery, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Am Surg 81:305-8. 2015..Abdominal complications and total complications did not differ between groups. Laparoscopic shunt revision avoided many of the known complications of open shunt revision and had outcomes similar to initial laparoscopic shunt placement. ..
- Perforated appendicitis after colonoscopyPaul Johnston
Department of Surgery, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94103 0790, USA
JSLS 12:335-7. 2008..None of the previous reports have described findings of perforation of the appendix within 24 hours of colonoscopy...
- Integrating surgical skills education into the anatomy laboratoryHarras Zaid
School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0790, USA
J Surg Res 158:36-42. 2010..Early exposure to surgical skills training and surgical mentors enhance students' retention and confidence in those skills, and may promote their interest in surgery...
- Open incisional hernia repair at an academic tertiary care medical centerKhashayar Mohebali
Division of General Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0104, USA
Arch Surg 144:848-52. 2009..To describe the postoperative complication rates of a large consecutive series of patients who underwent open incisional ventral hernia repair...
- A professional development course for the clinical clerkships: developing a student-centered curriculumLaura E Hill-Sakurai
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:964-8. 2008..Although professional development is addressed throughout the medical school curriculum, it is particularly salient to third-year students as they become integral members of health care teams...
- Medullary thyroid carcinoma manifesting as an ovarian mass: case report and review of literatureJessica E Gosnell
Department of General Surgery, San Mateo Medical Center, San Francisco, California, USA
Endocr Pract 14:351-7. 2008..To report the uncommon case of a woman with abdominal pain and a complex adnexal mass, who was subsequently found to have medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC) metastatic to the ovary...
- Enhancing the mission of academic surgery by promoting scientific writing skillsPamela A Derish
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0104, USA
J Surg Res 140:177-83. 2007....