L Q Ma
Affiliation: University of Florida
- Liu X, Feng H, Fu J, Sun D, Cao Y, Chen Y, et al. Phytate promoted arsenic uptake and growth in arsenic-hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata by upregulating phosphorus transporters. Environ Pollut. 2018;241:240-246 pubmed publisher..vittata. Our results showed that, though with lower As release from soil compared to P, phytate induced more As uptake and better growth in P. vittata by upregulating P transporters. ..
- Li H, Li M, Zhao D, Zhu Y, Li J, Juhasz A, et al. Food influence on lead relative bioavailability in contaminated soils: Mechanisms and health implications. J Hazard Mater. 2018;358:427-433 pubmed publisher..For accurate assessment of health risks of contaminated soils, dietary influence on soil Pb-RBA should be considered. ..
- Xiang P, He R, Liu R, Li K, Gao P, Cui X, et al. Cellular responses of normal (HL-7702) and cancerous (HepG2) hepatic cells to dust extract exposure. Chemosphere. 2018;193:1189-1197 pubmed publisher..To obtain accurate data, normal hepatocytes should be employed as they better match with the in vivo tissue than cancerous cell lines. ..
- Li J, Li K, Cave M, Li H, Ma L. Lead bioaccessibility in 12 contaminated soils from China: Correlation to lead relative bioavailability and lead in different fractions. J Hazard Mater. 2015;295:55-62 pubmed publisher..Our study suggested that UBM-GP assay has potential to determine Pb bioaccessibility in contaminated soils in China. ..
- He R, Li Y, Xiang P, Li C, Zhou C, Zhang S, et al. Organophosphorus flame retardants and phthalate esters in indoor dust from different microenvironments: Bioaccessibility and risk assessment. Chemosphere. 2016;150:528-535 pubmed publisher..However, the DEHP intake dose did not exceed the RfD after incorporating bioaccessibility into risk assessment. Our data indicated the importance of considering contaminant bioaccessibility during risk assessment of indoor dust. ..
- Han Y, Fu J, Chen Y, Rathinasabapathi B, Ma L. Arsenic uptake, arsenite efflux and plant growth in hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata: Role of arsenic-resistant bacteria. Chemosphere. 2016;144:1937-42 pubmed publisher..Our data showed that, under As-stress, PV reduced As toxicity by efficient AsIII efflux into media and AsIII translocation to the fronds, and bacteria benefited PV growth probably via enhanced As and P uptake. ..
- Tisarum R, Ren J, Dong X, Chen H, Lessl J, Ma L. A new method for antimony speciation in plant biomass and nutrient media using anion exchange cartridge. Talanta. 2015;144:1171-5 pubmed publisher..The cartridge procedure is an effective alternative for Sb speciation, offering low cost, reproducible results, and simple Sb analysis using GFAAS. ..
- Cui X, Li S, Zhang S, Fan Y, Ma L. Toxic metals in children's toys and jewelry: coupling bioaccessibility with risk assessment. Environ Pollut. 2015;200:77-84 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest the importance of using bioaccessibility to evaluate health hazard of metals in children's toys and jewelry, and besides Pb and Cd, As, Ni, Cr, and Sb in children's products also deserve attention. ..
- Li J, Li K, Cui X, Basta N, Li L, Li H, et al. In vitro bioaccessibility and in vivo relative bioavailability in 12 contaminated soils: Method comparison and method development. Sci Total Environ. 2015;532:812-20 pubmed publisher..More research is needed to verify their suitability to predict As-RBA in soils for refining health risk assessment. ..
- Zhao D, Li H, Xu J, Luo J, Ma L. Arsenic extraction and speciation in plants: Method comparison and development. Sci Total Environ. 2015;523:138-45 pubmed publisher..Based on satisfactory extraction efficiency with little change in As species during extraction from three plants containing different As levels, the optimized method has the potential to be used for As speciation in other plants. ..
- Ghosh P, Rathinasabapathi B, Ma L. Phosphorus solubilization and plant growth enhancement by arsenic-resistant bacteria. Chemosphere. 2015;134:1-6 pubmed publisher..P solubilization by ARB from P. vittata may be useful in enhancing plant growth and nutrition in other crop plants. ..
- Moreira L, da Silva E, Fontes M, Liu X, Ma L. Speciation, bioaccessibility and potential risk of chromium in Amazon forest soils. Environ Pollut. 2018;239:384-391 pubmed publisher..The data indicated that it is important to consider both Cr speciation and bioaccessibility when evaluating risk from Cr in Amazon soils. ..
- Chen H, Gao B, Yang L, Ma L. Montmorillonite enhanced ciprofloxacin transport in saturated porous media with sorbed ciprofloxacin showing antibiotic activity. J Contam Hydrol. 2015;173:1-7 pubmed publisher..Our results suggested that montmorillonite with high CIP sorption ability can act as a carrier to enhance CIP's mobility in aquifer. ..
- de Oliveira L, Das S, da Silva E, Gao P, Gress J, Liu Y, et al. Metal concentrations in traditional and herbal teas and their potential risks to human health. Sci Total Environ. 2018;633:649-657 pubmed publisher..0mgkg-1. Our data showed that it is important to consider metal intake from tea consumptions, especially for Cr and Al in heavy tea drinkers. ..
- Ghosh P, Rathinasabapathi B, Teplitski M, Ma L. Bacterial ability in AsIII oxidation and AsV reduction: Relation to arsenic tolerance, P uptake, and siderophore production. Chemosphere. 2015;138:995-1000 pubmed publisher..Arsenic-resistant bacteria increased their arsenic tolerance by retaining less arsenic in cells via efficient AsIII oxidation and AsV reduction, which were impacted by P uptake and siderophore production. ..
- Gress J, de Oliveira L, da Silva E, Lessl J, Wilson P, Townsend T, et al. Cleaning-induced arsenic mobilization and chromium oxidation from CCA-wood deck: Potential risk to children. Environ Int. 2015;82:35-40 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that As and CrVI in 25-year old CCA-wood still show exposure risks for children and potential for soil contamination. ..
- Tisarum R, Chen Y, Dong X, Lessl J, Ma L. Uptake of antimonite and antimonate by arsenic hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata: Effects of chemical analogs and transporter inhibitor. Environ Pollut. 2015;206:49-55 pubmed publisher..Our results indicated that: 1) PV gametophytes could serve as an efficient model to study Sb uptake, and 2) unique SbIII uptake by PV may be related to its trait of As hyperaccumulation. ..
- Liu X, Yang G, Guan D, Ghosh P, Ma L. Catecholate-siderophore produced by As-resistant bacterium effectively dissolved FeAsO4 and promoted Pteris vittata growth. Environ Pollut. 2015;206:376-81 pubmed publisher..This study showed that siderophore-producing arsenic-resistant rhizobacteria may have potential in enhancing phytoremediation of arsenic-contaminated soils. ..
- Xu J, Han Y, Chen Y, Zhu L, Ma L. Arsenic transformation and plant growth promotion characteristics of As-resistant endophytic bacteria from As-hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata. Chemosphere. 2016;144:1233-40 pubmed publisher..Bacterial As resistance was positively correlated to their ability in AsV reduction but not AsIII oxidation. The roles of those endophytes in promoting plant growth and As resistance in P. vittata warrant further investigation. ..
- Sun H, Xiang P, Tang M, Sun L, Ma L. Arsenic impacted the development, thyroid hormone and gene transcription of thyroid hormone receptors in bighead carp larvae (Hypophthalmichthys nobilis). J Hazard Mater. 2016;303:76-82 pubmed publisher..As concentrations <150Î¼g L(-1) adversely influenced the development of bighead carp larvae and disturbed their thyroid hormone homeostasis. ..
- Li H, Li J, Zhu Y, Juhasz A, Ma L. Comparison of arsenic bioaccessibility in housedust and contaminated soils based on four in vitro assays. Sci Total Environ. 2015;532:803-11 pubmed publisher..The greater As bioaccessibility in housedust than soil suggests the potential of greater health risk from As exposure to housedust than soil. ..
- Chen Y, Fu J, Han Y, Rathinasabapathi B, Ma L. High As exposure induced substantial arsenite efflux in As-hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata. Chemosphere. 2016;144:2189-94 pubmed publisher..vittata. This study showed that P. vittata may use high AsIII efflux to cope with As toxicity under high As exposure, which may be necessary to sustain growth while accumulating As. ..
- Wang Z, Hou L, Liu Y, Wang Y, Ma L. Metal contamination in a riparian wetland: Distribution, fractionation and plant uptake. Chemosphere. 2018;200:587-593 pubmed publisher..The data suggested that both total and bioavailable metals should be considered for risk assessment of metal pollution in a wetland. ..
- de Oliveira L, Lessl J, Gress J, Tisarum R, Guilherme L, Ma L. Chromate and phosphate inhibited each other's uptake and translocation in arsenic hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata L. Environ Pollut. 2015;197:240-6 pubmed publisher..The finding helps to understand the interactions of P and Cr during their uptake in PV. ..
- Li S, Li J, Li H, Naidu R, Ma L. Arsenic bioaccessibility in contaminated soils: Coupling in vitro assays with sequential and HNO3 extraction. J Hazard Mater. 2015;295:145-52 pubmed publisher..The fact that different methods targeted different As fractions in soils suggested the importance of validation by animal test. Our data suggested that HNO3 may have potential to determine bioaccessible As in soils. ..
- Liang S, Guan D, Li J, Zhou C, Luo J, Ma L. Effect of aging on bioaccessibility of arsenic and lead in soils. Chemosphere. 2016;151:94-100 pubmed publisher..For future work, minerals containing As and/or Pb instead of their soluble salts can be added to uncontaminated soils to better simulate the natural aging processes. ..
- Li S, Liu X, Sun H, Li M, Zhao D, Luo J, et al. Effect of phosphate amendment on relative bioavailability and bioaccessibility of lead and arsenic in contaminated soils. J Hazard Mater. 2017;339:256-263 pubmed publisher..For As, its bioaccessibility increased in PA-amended soils, inconsistent with in vivo data. Our results shed light on the importance of method selection to assess risk in Pb- and As-contaminated soils amended with phosphate. ..
- Li S, Li H, Luo J, Li H, Qian X, Liu M, et al. Influence of pollution control on lead inhalation bioaccessibility in PM2.5: A case study of 2014 Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing. Environ Int. 2016;94:69-75 pubmed publisher..This study showed it is important to consider Pb bioaccessibility during pollution control as source control not only reduced Pb contamination in PM2.5 but also influenced Pb bioaccessibility. ..
- Xiang P, Liu R, Sun H, Yang Y, Cui X, Ma L. Effects of novel brominated flame retardant TBPH and its metabolite TBMEHP on human vascular endothelial cells: Implication for human health risks. Environ Res. 2017;156:834-842 pubmed publisher..Our study implies that the metabolites of TBPH, possibly other novel brominated flame retardants, may be of potential concern for human cardiovascular disease. ..
- Li S, Sun H, Li H, Luo J, Ma L. Assessment of cadmium bioaccessibility to predict its bioavailability in contaminated soils. Environ Int. 2016;94:600-606 pubmed publisher..18-12.3μgkg(-1) using bioavailable Cd. Our data suggest it is important to consider Cd-RBA to assess risk associated with contaminated soils and the PBET may have potential to predict Cd-RBA in contaminated soils. ..
- Sun H, Xiang P, Luo J, Hong H, Lin H, Li H, et al. Mechanisms of arsenic disruption on gonadal, adrenal and thyroid endocrine systems in humans: A review. Environ Int. 2016;95:61-8 pubmed publisher..Some studies showed AsV toxicity on endocrine systems, but mechanistic investigation is lacking. Research is needed to look into their toxicity mechanisms to help cure the illnesses caused by As-induced endocrine system disorders. ..
- Li K, Gao P, Xiang P, Zhang X, Cui X, Ma L. Molecular mechanisms of PFOA-induced toxicity in animals and humans: Implications for health risks. Environ Int. 2017;99:43-54 pubmed publisher..Both in vivo and in vitro studies are needed to better understand the PFOA-induced toxicity mechanisms as well as the associated health risk in humans. ..
- Xiang P, He R, Han Y, Sun H, Cui X, Ma L. Mechanisms of housedust-induced toxicity in primary human corneal epithelial cells: Oxidative stress, proinflammatory response and mitochondrial dysfunction. Environ Int. 2016;89-90:30-7 pubmed publisher..2 to 82%. Our results suggested that dust-induced oxidative stress probably played a vital role in the cytotoxicity in PHCE cells, which may have contributed to dust-induced impairment of human cornea. ..
- de Oliveira L, Gress J, De J, Rathinasabapathi B, Marchi G, Chen Y, et al. Sulfate and chromate increased each other's uptake and translocation in As-hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata. Chemosphere. 2016;147:36-43 pubmed publisher..vittata suggest that CrVI was not competing with sulfate uptake in P. vittata. However, the mechanisms of how sulfate and CrVI enhance each other's accumulation in P. vittata need further investigation. ..
- Li H, Dong X, da Silva E, de Oliveira L, Chen Y, Ma L. Mechanisms of metal sorption by biochars: Biochar characteristics and modifications. Chemosphere. 2017;178:466-478 pubmed publisher..Future research needs for field application of biochar include competitive sorption mechanisms of co-existing metals, biochar reuse, and cost reduction of biochar production. ..
- Liu X, Feng H, Fu J, Chen Y, Liu Y, Ma L. Arsenic-induced nutrient uptake in As-hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata and their potential role to enhance plant growth. Chemosphere. 2018;198:425-431 pubmed publisher..Different plant growth responses to As among hyperaccumulators PV and PM and non-hyperaccumulator PE may help to better understand why hyperaccumulators grow better under As-stress. ..
- He R, Li Y, Xiang P, Li C, Cui X, Ma L. Impact of particle size on distribution and human exposure of flame retardants in indoor dust. Environ Res. 2018;162:166-172 pubmed publisher..For future risk assessment, size selection for dust sampling should be standardized and bioaccessibility of FRs should not be overlooked. ..
- Liu X, Fu J, Da Silva E, Shi X, Cao Y, Rathinasabapathi B, et al. Microbial siderophores and root exudates enhanced goethite dissolution and Fe/As uptake by As-hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata. Environ Pollut. 2017;223:230-237 pubmed publisher..Since microbial siderophores and root exudates often coexist in soil rhizosphere, their synergy in enhancing dissolution of insoluble As-Fe minerals may play an important role in efficient phytoremediation of As-contaminated soils. ..
- Li S, Sun H, Wang G, Cui X, Juhasz A, Li H, et al. Lead relative bioavailability in soils based on different endpoints of a mouse model. J Hazard Mater. 2017;326:94-100 pubmed publisher..4% vs. 34.5%). To ensure robustness of in vivo data, the steady state dosing approach with Pb accumulation in combined tissues is recommended. ..
- Han Y, Liu X, Rathinasabapathi B, Li H, Chen Y, Ma L. Mechanisms of efficient As solubilization in soils and As accumulation by As-hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata. Environ Pollut. 2017;227:569-577 pubmed publisher..vittata and effective As uptake, translocation and detoxification in P. vittata. We also provided future research perspectives to further improve As phytoremediation by P. vittata. ..
- Xiang P, Liu R, Sun H, Han Y, He R, Cui X, et al. Molecular mechanisms of dust-induced toxicity in human corneal epithelial cells: Water and organic extract of office and house dust. Environ Int. 2016;92-93:348-56 pubmed publisher..The results based on primary HCE cells demonstrated the importance of reducing contaminants in indoor dust to reduce their adverse impacts on human eyes. ..
- Cui X, Xiang P, He R, Juhasz A, Ma L. Advances in in vitro methods to evaluate oral bioaccessibility of PAHs and PBDEs in environmental matrices. Chemosphere. 2016;150:378-389 pubmed publisher..The discussions should shed light for future research to accurately assess human exposure to POPs via oral ingestion pathway. ..
- Han Y, Fu J, Xiang P, Cao Y, Rathinasabapathi B, Chen Y, et al. Arsenic and phosphate rock impacted the abundance and diversity of bacterial arsenic oxidase and reductase genes in rhizosphere of As-hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata. J Hazard Mater. 2017;321:146-153 pubmed publisher..This work identified new opportunities to screen for As-oxidizing and/or -reducing bacteria to aid phytoremediation of As-contaminated soils. ..
- Fu J, Liu X, Han Y, Mei H, Cao Y, de Oliveira L, et al. Arsenic-hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata efficiently solubilized phosphate rock to sustain plant growth and As uptake. J Hazard Mater. 2017;330:68-75 pubmed publisher..Our data indicated that phytic acid played an important role in efficient use of insoluble PR by P. vittata, shedding light on using insoluble PR to enhance phytoremediation of As-contaminated soils. ..
- Gress J, da Silva E, de Oliveira L, Zhao D, Anderson G, Heard D, et al. Potential arsenic exposures in 25 species of zoo animals living in CCA-wood enclosures. Sci Total Environ. 2016;551-552:614-21 pubmed publisher..Our data suggested that elevated As in soils and dislodgeable As from CCA-wood could be important sources of As exposure for zoo animals. ..
- de Oliveira L, Suchismita D, Gress J, Rathinasabapathi B, Chen Y, Ma L. Arsenic uptake by lettuce from As-contaminated soil remediated with Pteris vittata and organic amendment. Chemosphere. 2017;176:249-254 pubmed publisher..Our data showed that application of organic amendments with P. vittata reduced As hazards in CCA-contaminated soils. ..
- Zhang R, Li C, Li Y, Cui X, Ma L. Determination of 2,6-di-tert-butyl-hydroxytoluene and its transformation products in indoor dust and sediment by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry coupled with precolumn derivatization. Sci Total Environ. 2018;619-620:552-558 pubmed publisher..Different metabolite profiles for BHT indicated various transformation pathways, making it necessary to study their transformation mechanism and environmental behaviors in the future studies. ..
- da Silva E, de Oliveira L, Wilkie A, Liu Y, Ma L. Arsenic removal from As-hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata biomass: Coupling extraction with precipitation. Chemosphere. 2018;193:288-294 pubmed publisher..Adding MgCl2 at As:Mg ratio of 1:400 with pH 9.5 was effective to precipitate soluble As, resulting in 98% removal. Effective removal of As from PV biomass prior to disposal helps make phytoremediation more feasible. ..
- Das S, de Oliveira L, Da Silva E, Liu Y, Ma L. Fluoride concentrations in traditional and herbal teas: Health risk assessment. Environ Pollut. 2017;231:779-784 pubmed publisher..Therefore, together with F from food and water sources, daily F consumptions from teas might increase its health risks to humans. So, caution should be excised when drinking teas containing high F. ..
- Han Y, Jia M, Liu X, Zhu Y, Cao Y, Chen D, et al. Bacteria from the rhizosphere and tissues of As-hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata and their role in arsenic transformation. Chemosphere. 2017;186:599-606 pubmed publisher..Since As transformation was not observed in solutions after filtrating or boiling, we concluded that both rhizobacteria and endobacteria were involved in As transformation in the rhizosphere and tissues of P. vittata. ..
- Sun H, Li S, Li C, Wang W, Li H, Ma L. Thyrotoxicity of arsenate and arsenite on juvenile mice at organism, subcellular, and gene levels under low exposure. Chemosphere. 2017;186:580-587 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrated that exposing to low levels of AsIII or AsV disrupted T4 homeostasis, influenced the related gene transcription and damaged the thyroid glands in juvenile mice. ..
- da Silva E, Li S, de Oliveira L, Gress J, Dong X, Wilkie A, et al. Metal leachability from coal combustion residuals under different pHs and liquid/solid ratios. J Hazard Mater. 2018;341:66-74 pubmed publisher..Metal concentrations in fly ash decreased in most cases with increasing LS ratio. Therefore, due to potential leaching of some metals, evaluation is needed before beneficial use of CCRs. ..
- Liu X, Fu J, Tang N, da Silva E, Cao Y, Turner B, et al. Phytate induced arsenic uptake and plant growth in arsenic-hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata. Environ Pollut. 2017;226:212-218 pubmed publisher..As such, the increased As and P and the unsuppressed Fe uptake in PV probably promoted PV growth. Thus, supplying phytate to As-contaminated soils may promote As uptake and growth in PV and its phytoremediation ability. ..
- Das S, de Oliveira L, Da Silva E, Ma L. Arsenate and fluoride enhanced each other's uptake in As-sensitive plant Pteris ensiformis. Chemosphere. 2017;180:448-454 pubmed publisher..The results may facilitate better understanding of the mechanisms underlying the co-uptake of As and F in plants. However, the mechanisms of how they enhance each other's uptake in P. ensiformis need further investigation. ..
- Sun H, Li H, Xiang P, Zhang X, Ma L. Short-term exposure of arsenite disrupted thyroid endocrine system and altered gene transcription in the HPT axis in zebrafish. Environ Pollut. 2015;205:145-52 pubmed publisher..3-1.4 times and modulated gene transcription in HPT axis. Our study showed AsIII caused oxidative damage, affected thyroid endocrine system and altered gene transcription in HPT axis in zebrafish. ..
- Xiang P, Liu R, Li C, Gao P, Cui X, Ma L. Effects of organophosphorus flame retardant TDCPP on normal human corneal epithelial cells: Implications for human health. Environ Pollut. 2017;230:22-30 pubmed publisher..Our findings showed TDCPP exposure induced toxicity to human cornea. Due to TDCPP's presence at high levels in indoor dust, further study is warranted to evaluate its health risk on human corneas. ..