Genomes and Genes
J J Loor
Affiliation: University of Illinois
- Bionaz M, Loor J. Gene networks driving bovine milk fat synthesis during the lactation cycle. BMC Genomics. 2008;9:366 pubmed publisher..g., SCD). Longitudinal mRNA expression allowed development of transcriptional regulation networks and an updated model of milk fat synthesis regulation. ..
- Batistel F, Alharthi A, Wang L, Parys C, Pan Y, Cardoso F, et al. Placentome Nutrient Transporters and Mammalian Target of Rapamycin Signaling Proteins Are Altered by the Methionine Supply during Late Gestation in Dairy Cows and Are Associated with Newborn Birth Weight. J Nutr. 2017;147:1640-1647 pubmed publisher....
- Shi H, Wu M, Zhu J, Zhang C, Yao D, Luo J, et al. Fatty acid elongase 6 plays a role in the synthesis of long-chain fatty acids in goat mammary epithelial cells. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:4987-4995 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, these are the first results highlighting an important role of ELOVL6 in long-chain fatty elongation and TAG synthesis in ruminant mammary cells. ..
- Chen Z, Shi H, Sun S, Luo J, Zhang W, Hou Y, et al. MiR-183 regulates milk fat metabolism via MST1 in goat mammary epithelial cells. Gene. 2018;646:12-19 pubmed publisher..Immunofluorescence assays revealed that miR-183 targets MST1 in the cytoplasm. In summary, data indicate that miR-183 inhibits the metabolism of milk fat by targeting the MST1 gene in the cytoplasm in goat mammary epithelial cells. ..
- Dong X, Zhou Z, Saremi B, Helmbrecht A, Wang Z, Loor J. Varying the ratio of Lys:Met while maintaining the ratios of Thr:Phe, Lys:Thr, Lys:His, and Lys:Val alters mammary cellular metabolites, mammalian target of rapamycin signaling, and gene transcription. J Dairy Sci. 2018;101:1708-1718 pubmed publisher....
- Arroyo J, Hosseini A, Zhou Z, Alharthi A, Trevisi E, Osorio J, et al. Reticulo-rumen mass, epithelium gene expression, and systemic biomarkers of metabolism and inflammation in Holstein dairy cows fed a high-energy diet. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:9352-9360 pubmed publisher..The relevance of these findings to the nutritional management of pregnant dry cows merits further research. ..
- Zhang M, Li C, Li F, Li H, Liu X, Loor J, et al. Estrogen Promotes Hepatic Synthesis of Long-Chain Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids by Regulating ELOVL5 at Post-Transcriptional Level in Laying Hens. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..This study provides a novel model for the use of estrogen in the poultry industry as an inducer of ELOVL5 expression to enhance hepatic n-3 and n-6 LCPUFA synthesis at the post-transcriptional level. ..
- Chen Z, Qiu H, Ma L, Luo J, Sun S, Kang K, et al. miR-30e-5p and miR-15a Synergistically Regulate Fatty Acid Metabolism in Goat Mammary Epithelial Cells via LRP6 and YAP1. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed..The data expanded our knowledge on the function of miRNAs in milk fat metabolism and synthesis in ruminant mammary cells. ..
- Jacometo C, Zhou Z, Luchini D, Corrêa M, Loor J. Maternal supplementation with rumen-protected methionine increases prepartal plasma methionine concentration and alters hepatic mRNA abundance of 1-carbon, methionine, and transsulfuration pathways in neonatal Holstein calves. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:3209-3219 pubmed publisher..Whether the effects in MET calves were directly related to increased Met supply in utero remains to be determined. ..
- Osorio J, Trevisi E, Ji P, Drackley J, Luchini D, Bertoni G, et al. Biomarkers of inflammation, metabolism, and oxidative stress in blood, liver, and milk reveal a better immunometabolic status in peripartal cows supplemented with Smartamine M or MetaSmart. J Dairy Sci. 2014;97:7437-50 pubmed publisher..Overall, biomarker analyses in blood and tissue indicate that the beneficial effect of feeding SM and MS on postpartal cow performance is due in part to a better immunometabolic status. ..
- Akbar H, Bionaz M, Carlson D, Rodriguez Zas S, Everts R, Lewin H, et al. Feed restriction, but not l-carnitine infusion, alters the liver transcriptome by inhibiting sterol synthesis and mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation and increasing gluconeogenesis in mid-lactation dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2013;96:2201-2213 pubmed publisher..The data also indicated an increase of flux toward gluconeogenesis. We interpreted those results as a likely response of the liver to spare energy and provide glucose for the lactating mammary gland during feed deprivation. ..
- Seo J, Osorio J, Schmitt E, Corrêa M, Bertoni G, Trevisi E, et al. Hepatic purinergic signaling gene network expression and its relationship with inflammation and oxidative stress biomarkers in blood from peripartal dairy cattle. J Dairy Sci. 2014;97:861-73 pubmed publisher..The correlation analysis provided evidence of a link between purinergic signaling genes and biomarkers of inflammation and oxidative stress. ..
- Vailati Riboni M, Zhou Z, Jacometo C, Minuti A, Trevisi E, Luchini D, et al. Supplementation with rumen-protected methionine or choline during the transition period influences whole-blood immune response in periparturient dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:3958-3968 pubmed publisher..These results provide insights on potential differences in the immunomodulatory action of methionine and choline in dairy cows. As such, the effects observed could have implications for ration formulation and dietary strategies. ..
- Osorio J, Batistel F, Garrett E, Elhanafy M, Tariq M, Socha M, et al. Corium molecular biomarkers reveal a beneficial effect on hoof transcriptomics in peripartal dairy cows supplemented with zinc, manganese, and copper from amino acid complexes and cobalt from cobalt glucoheptonate. J Dairy Sci. 2016;99:9974-9982 pubmed publisher..The hoof biopsy procedure used in the present study should be further perfected and implemented in future lameness research to expand our understanding of hoof biology in dairy cows. ..
- Yao D, Luo J, He Q, Wu M, Shi H, Wang H, et al. Thyroid hormone responsive (THRSP) promotes the synthesis of medium-chain fatty acids in goat mammary epithelial cells. J Dairy Sci. 2016;99:3124-3133 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results highlight an important role of THRSP in regulating lipogenesis in goat mammary epithelial cells. ..
- Abdelmegeid M, Vailati Riboni M, Alharthi A, Batistel F, Loor J. Supplemental methionine, choline, or taurine alter in vitro gene network expression of polymorphonuclear leukocytes from neonatal Holstein calves. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:3155-3165 pubmed publisher..These data underscore an important role of these compounds in pre-weaning calf nutritional management. ..
- Zhou Z, Trevisi E, Luchini D, Loor J. Differences in liver functionality indexes in peripartal dairy cows fed rumen-protected methionine or choline are associated with performance, oxidative stress status, and plasma amino acid profiles. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:6720-6732 pubmed publisher..Further studies on the applicability of these biomarkers to monitor transition success appears warranted. ..
- Zhu J, Luo J, Xu H, Wang H, Loor J. Short communication: Altered expression of specificity protein 1 impairs milk fat synthesis in goat mammary epithelial cells. J Dairy Sci. 2016;99:4893-4898 pubmed publisher..5%, respectively, after adenoviral overexpression of SP1 or its silencing via siRNA. Overall, the results underscored a potentially important role of SP1 in maintaining milk-fat droplet synthesis in goat mammary epithelial cells. ..
- Batistel F, Arroyo J, Bellingeri A, Wang L, Saremi B, Parys C, et al. Ethyl-cellulose rumen-protected methionine enhances performance during the periparturient period and early lactation in Holstein dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:7455-7467 pubmed publisher..8:1 in metabolizable protein improved dairy cow performance from parturition through 60 DIM. The greater milk production was, at least in part, driven by the greater voluntary DMI and better liver function. ..
- Xu T, Cardoso F, Pineda A, Trevisi E, Shen X, Rosa F, et al. Grain challenge affects systemic and hepatic molecular biomarkers of inflammation, stress, and metabolic responses to a greater extent in Holstein than Jersey cows. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:9153-9162 pubmed publisher..It remains to be determined if these acute responses to a grain challenge can elicit long-term liver dysfunction, which could negatively affect welfare of the cow. ..
- Shi H, Zhang C, Xu Z, Xu X, Lv Z, Luo J, et al. Nuclear receptor subfamily 1 group H member 2 (LXRB) is the predominant liver X receptor subtype regulating transcription of 2 major lipogenic genes in goat primary mammary epithelial cells. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:6743-6752 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results highlight an important role for LXRB in the transcriptional regulation of SREBP1c and FASN in goat mammary epithelial cells. Activation of this nuclear receptor controls lipogenesis via different mechanisms. ..
- Batistel F, Arroyo J, Garces C, Trevisi E, Parys C, Ballou M, et al. Ethyl-cellulose rumen-protected methionine alleviates inflammation and oxidative stress and improves neutrophil function during the periparturient period and early lactation in Holstein dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2018;101:480-490 pubmed publisher..8:1 in the metabolizable protein during the periparturient period and early lactation is an effective approach to help mitigate oxidative stress and inflammation as well as enhance liver and neutrophil function in dairy cows. ..
- McCann J, Elolimy A, Loor J. Rumen Microbiome, Probiotics, and Fermentation Additives. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract. 2017;33:539-553 pubmed publisher..These efforts align with a growing number of products designed to improve ruminal fermentation to benefit the overall efficiency of ruminant livestock production and health. ..
- Li S, Loor J, Liu H, Liu L, Hosseini A, Zhao W, et al. Optimal ratios of essential amino acids stimulate ?-casein synthesis via activation of the mammalian target of rapamycin signaling pathway in MAC-T cells and bovine mammary tissue explants. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:6676-6688 pubmed publisher....
- Zhou Z, Garrow T, Dong X, Luchini D, Loor J. Hepatic Activity and Transcription of Betaine-Homocysteine Methyltransferase, Methionine Synthase, and Cystathionine Synthase in Periparturient Dairy Cows Are Altered to Different Extents by Supply of Methionine and Choline. J Nutr. 2017;147:11-19 pubmed publisher..Failure to generate a comparable amount of endogenous Met from choline could be one reason that choline-fed cows fail to achieve comparable performance and health benefits during the periparturient period. ..
- Shi H, Zhang C, Zhao W, Luo J, Loor J. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor delta facilitates lipid secretion and catabolism of fatty acids in dairy goat mammary epithelial cells. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:797-806 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results highlight an important role for PPARD in the homeostasis of ruminant mammary cells by facilitating fatty acid activation and lipid droplet formation and secretion. ..