Affiliation: University of California
- Pathways to sexual risk reduction: Gender differences and strategies for interventionDouglas Longshore
Drug Abuse Research Center, University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA
AIDS Behav 10:93-104. 2006..Intervention for men should focus on increasing safer sex commitment and AIDS knowledge. Intervention for women should promote safer sex commitment by raising self-efficacy for sexual risk reduction...
- Drug problem recognition among African American drug-using arresteesD Longshore
University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Addict Behav 23:275-9. 1998..We cite implications of these findings for help seeking and engagement in treatment among African American drug user...
- Treatment motivation in drug users: a theory-based analysisDouglas Longshore
Integrated Substance Abuse Programs, Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90025, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 81:179-88. 2006..These findings suggest that readiness and resistance should both be assessed among clients entering treatment, especially when the referral is coercive. Intake and counseling protocols should address readiness and resistance separately...
- Levo-alpha-acetylmethadol (LAAM) versus methadone: treatment retention and opiate useDouglas Longshore
UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs, Neuropsychiatric Institute and Hospital, Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90025, USA
Addiction 100:1131-9. 2005..To compare the effects of levo-alpha-acetylmethadol (LAAM) and methadone maintenance (MM) on treatment retention and abstinence from opiate use...
- National Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign and school-based drug prevention: Evidence for a synergistic effect in ALERT PlusDouglas Longshore
Health Program and Drug Policy Research Center, RAND, USA
Addict Behav 31:496-508. 2006..The National Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign may have led to reductions in marijuana use among youth who simultaneously received school-based drug prevention...
- Psychosocial antecedents of injection risk reduction: a multivariate analysisDouglas Longshore
The Drug Abuse Research Center, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 16:353-66. 2004..Greater self-efficacy, less baseline risk behavior, less perceived susceptibility to AIDS, and greater fear of AIDS predicted intention to reduce risk. Leverage points for change are discussed...
- The acquisition and maintenance of safer sexual behaviors among injection drug usersS F Posner
Medical Effectiveness Research Center for Diverse Populations, University of California, San Francisco 94118, USA
Subst Use Misuse 31:1995-2015. 1996..This finding highlights the need for continual, sustained interventions to help maintain safer sex and drug-using behaviors in high-risk groups...
- Psychiatric comorbidity of methamphetamine dependence in a forensic sampleA D Kalechstein
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 12:480-4. 2000..These findings suggest that methamphetamine-dependent individuals are at greater risk to experience particular psychiatric symptoms. Further study to determine the etiology of these symptoms is warranted...
- Psychiatric disorders and drug use among human immunodeficiency virus-infected adults in the United StatesE G Bing
Center for AIDS Research, Charles R Drew University of Medicine and Science, 1651 E 120th St, Los Angeles, CA 90059, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 58:721-8. 2001..It is also not known which clinical and sociodemographic factors are associated with these disorders...
- Factors associated with readiness to change drug use among needle-exchange usersR N Bluthenthal
Drug Policy Research Center, Criminal Justice Program, and Health Program, RAND, Santa Monica, CA 90407 2138, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 62:225-30. 2001..Given the high proportion of NEP clients ready to change drug use, improving linkages between NEPs and substance abuse treatment appears warranted...
- Drug policies and harms: a conceptual frameworkD Longshore
Drug Policy Research Center, RAND, Santa Monica, Calif 90405, USA
Eur Addict Res 4:172-82. 1998..We also propose a cumulative case-study method of querying the dataset to test hypotheses regarding relationships between policies and harms...
- TREATMENT MOTIVATION IN DRUG USERSM Anglin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- The 2005 Addiction Health Services Research ConferenceChristine Grella; Fiscal Year: 2005....