Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Southern California
- Longo V, Fontana L. Calorie restriction and cancer prevention: metabolic and molecular mechanisms. Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2010;31:89-98 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss the link between nutritional interventions and cancer prevention with focus on the mechanisms that might be responsible for these effects in simple systems and mammals with a view to developing chemoprevention agents. ..
- Nashiro K, Guevara Aguirre J, BRASKIE M, Hafzalla G, Velasco R, Balasubramanian P, et al. Brain Structure and Function Associated with Younger Adults in Growth Hormone Receptor-Deficient Humans. J Neurosci. 2017;37:1696-1707 pubmed publisher..This study contributes to our understanding of the connection between growth genes and brain aging in humans and provides data indicating that GHR inhibition has the potential to protect against age-dependent cognitive decline. ..
- Buono R, Longo V. Starvation, Stress Resistance, and Cancer. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2018;: pubmed publisher..Here we discuss the cellular and animal experiments demonstrating the differential effects of fasting on normal and cancer cells and the mechanisms responsible for these effects. ..
- Raffaghello L, Longo V. Metabolic Alterations at the Crossroad of Aging and Oncogenesis. Int Rev Cell Mol Biol. 2017;332:1-42 pubmed publisher....
- Longo V, Fabrizio P. Chronological aging in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Subcell Biochem. 2012;57:101-21 pubmed publisher....
- Longo V, Shadel G, Kaeberlein M, Kennedy B. Replicative and chronological aging in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Cell Metab. 2012;16:18-31 pubmed publisher..cerevisiae will continue to serve as a leading model organism for studying pathways relevant to human aging and disease. ..
- Longo V, Mattson M. Fasting: molecular mechanisms and clinical applications. Cell Metab. 2014;19:181-92 pubmed publisher..Thus, fasting has the potential to delay aging and help prevent and treat diseases while minimizing the side effects caused by chronic dietary interventions. ..
- Cheng C, Villani V, Buono R, Wei M, Kumar S, Yilmaz O, et al. Fasting-Mimicking Diet Promotes Ngn3-Driven Î²-Cell Regeneration to Reverse Diabetes. Cell. 2017;168:775-788.e12 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that a FMD promotes the reprogramming ofÂ pancreatic cells to restore insulin generation in islets from T1D patients and reverse both T1D and T2D phenotypes in mouse models. PAPERCLIP. ..
- Mirzaei H, Suarez J, Longo V. Protein and amino acid restriction, aging and disease: from yeast to humans. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2014;25:558-66 pubmed publisher..Thus, interventions aimed at lowering the intake of proteins or specific AAs can be beneficial and have the potential to be widely adopted and effective in optimizing healthspan. ..
- Longo V, Cortellino S. Enhancing Stem Cell Transplantation with "Nutri-technology". Cell Stem Cell. 2016;19:681-682 pubmed publisher..In a recent issue of Science, Taya and colleagues provide evidence for an alternative to the toxic chemoirradiative procedure by showing that a valine-restricted diet is sufficient to empty the bone marrow niche. ..
- Brandhorst S, Choi I, Wei M, Cheng C, Sedrakyan S, Navarrete G, et al. A Periodic Diet that Mimics Fasting Promotes Multi-System Regeneration, Enhanced Cognitive Performance, and Healthspan. Cell Metab. 2015;22:86-99 pubmed publisher..In a pilot clinical trial, three FMD cycles decreased risk factors/biomarkers for aging, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer without major adverse effects, providing support for the use of FMDs to promote healthspan. ..
- Balasubramanian P, Longo V. Growth factors, aging and age-related diseases. Growth Horm IGF Res. 2016;28:66-8 pubmed publisher..These studies point to a conserved link between proteins and amino acids, GHR-IGF-1/insulin, Tor-S6k signaling, aging, and diseases. ..
- Mirzaei H, Di Biase S, Longo V. Dietary Interventions, Cardiovascular Aging, and Disease: Animal Models and Human Studies. Circ Res. 2016;118:1612-25 pubmed publisher..We also discuss more recent dietary interventions in rodents, monkeys, and humans, which affect atherosclerosis and cardiovascular diseases with focus on those that also delay aging. ..
- Brandhorst S, Longo V. Fasting and Caloric Restriction in Cancer Prevention and Treatment. Recent Results Cancer Res. 2016;207:241-66 pubmed publisher..Here, we review preclinical and preliminary clinical studies on dietary restriction and fasting and their role in inducing cellular protection and chemotherapy resistance. ..
- Longo V, Panda S. Fasting, Circadian Rhythms, and Time-Restricted Feeding in Healthy Lifespan. Cell Metab. 2016;23:1048-1059 pubmed publisher....
- Dorff T, Groshen S, Garcia A, Shah M, Tsao Wei D, Pham H, et al. Safety and feasibility of fasting in combination with platinum-based chemotherapy. BMC Cancer. 2016;16:360 pubmed publisher..An onging randomized trial is studying the effect of 72 h of fasting. NCT00936364 , registered propectively on July 9, 2009. ..
- Choi I, Piccio L, Childress P, Bollman B, Ghosh A, Brandhorst S, et al. A Diet Mimicking Fasting Promotes Regeneration and Reduces Autoimmunity and Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms. Cell Rep. 2016;15:2136-2146 pubmed publisher..We also report preliminary data suggesting that an FMD or a chronic ketogenic diet are safe, feasible, and potentially effective in the treatment of relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS) patients (NCT01538355). ..
- Longo V. Linking sirtuins, IGF-I signaling, and starvation. Exp Gerontol. 2009;44:70-4 pubmed publisher..Here, I review the studies linking SirT1, IGF-I signaling and starvation in various model organisms with a focus on the post-mitotic cells, which indicate that sirtuins can play both protective and pro-aging roles. ..
- Shim H, Wei M, Brandhorst S, Longo V. Starvation promotes REV1 SUMOylation and p53-dependent sensitization of melanoma and breast cancer cells. Cancer Res. 2015;75:1056-67 pubmed publisher..Thus, fasting in part through its effect on REV1 is a promising nontoxic strategy to increase p53-dependent cell death and to enhance the efficacy of cancer therapies. ..
- Longo V. Mutations in signal transduction proteins increase stress resistance and longevity in yeast, nematodes, fruit flies, and mammalian neuronal cells. Neurobiol Aging. 1999;20:479-86 pubmed..Taken together, the published studies suggest that survival may be regulated by similar fundamental mechanisms in many eukaryotes and that simple model systems will contribute to our understanding of the aging process in mammals. ..
- Cheng C, Adams G, Perin L, Wei M, Zhou X, Lam B, et al. Prolonged fasting reduces IGF-1/PKA to promote hematopoietic-stem-cell-based regeneration and reverse immunosuppression. Cell Stem Cell. 2014;14:810-23 pubmed publisher..These findings link the reduced levels of IGF-1 caused by fasting to PKA signaling and establish their crucial role in regulating hematopoietic stem cell protection, self-renewal, and regeneration. ..
- Choi I, Lee C, Longo V. Nutrition and fasting mimicking diets in the prevention and treatment of autoimmune diseases and immunosenescence. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2017;455:4-12 pubmed publisher....
- Wei M, Brandhorst S, Shelehchi M, Mirzaei H, Cheng C, Budniak J, et al. Fasting-mimicking diet and markers/risk factors for aging, diabetes, cancer, and cardiovascular disease. Sci Transl Med. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..Larger studies in patients with diagnosed diseases or selected on the basis of risk factors are warranted to confirm the effect of the FMD on disease prevention and treatment. ..
- Brandhorst S, Harputlugil E, Mitchell J, Longo V. Protective effects of short-term dietary restriction in surgical stress and chemotherapy. Ageing Res Rev. 2017;39:68-77 pubmed publisher..In this perspective review, we will discuss the latest findings on the potential role of short-term dietary restriction in cancer treatment and improvement of surgical outcome. ..
- Levine M, Suarez J, Brandhorst S, Balasubramanian P, Cheng C, Madia F, et al. Low protein intake is associated with a major reduction in IGF-1, cancer, and overall mortality in the 65 and younger but not older population. Cell Metab. 2014;19:407-17 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that low protein intake during middle age followed by moderate to high protein consumption in old adults may optimize healthspan and longevity. ..
- Longo V, Kennedy B. Sirtuins in aging and age-related disease. Cell. 2006;126:257-68 pubmed..Here we examine the roles of Sirtuins in diverse eukaryotic species, with special emphasis on their links to aging and age-related diseases including cancer, diabetes, and neurodegenerative disorders. ..