Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Miami
- Lokeshwar V, Lopez L, Munoz D, Chi A, Shirodkar S, Lokeshwar S, et al. Antitumor activity of hyaluronic acid synthesis inhibitor 4-methylumbelliferone in prostate cancer cells. Cancer Res. 2010;70:2613-23 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the anticancer effects of 4-MU, an orally bioavailable and relatively nontoxic agent, are primarily mediated by inhibition of HA signaling. ..
- Lokeshwar V, Selzer M, Unwala D, Estrella V, Gomez M, Golshani R, et al. Uronate peaks and urinary hyaluronic acid levels correlate with interstitial cystitis severity. J Urol. 2006;176:1001-7 pubmed..In this study we examined the urinary glycosaminoglycan profile and correlated the profile and urinary hyaluronic acid (a glycosaminoglycan) levels with symptom severity...
- Lokeshwar V, Estrella V, Lopez L, Kramer M, Gomez P, Soloway M, et al. HYAL1-v1, an alternatively spliced variant of HYAL1 hyaluronidase: a negative regulator of bladder cancer. Cancer Res. 2006;66:11219-27 pubmed..Therefore, HYAL-v1 expression may negatively regulate bladder tumor growth, infiltration, and angiogenesis. ..
- Lokeshwar V, Selzer M. Differences in hyaluronic acid-mediated functions and signaling in arterial, microvessel, and vein-derived human endothelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:27641-9 pubmed..These results demonstrate that RHAMM is the functional HA receptor in primary human ECs. Heterogeneity exists among primary human ECs of different vascular origins, with respect to functional HA receptor expression and function. ..
- Lokeshwar V, Schroeder G, Carey R, Soloway M, Iida N. Regulation of hyaluronidase activity by alternative mRNA splicing. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:33654-63 pubmed..These results demonstrate that alternative mRNA splicing controls cellular expression of enzymatically active hyaluronidase and may explain the elevated hyaluronidase levels in bladder/prostate cancer. ..
- Lokeshwar V, Cerwinka W, Isoyama T, Lokeshwar B. HYAL1 hyaluronidase in prostate cancer: a tumor promoter and suppressor. Cancer Res. 2005;65:7782-9 pubmed..This study shows that, depending on the concentration, HYAL1 functions as a tumor promoter and as a suppressor and provides a basis for anti-hyaluronidase and high-hyaluronidase treatments for cancer. ..
- Lokeshwar V, Gomez P, Kramer M, Knapp J, McCornack M, Lopez L, et al. Epigenetic regulation of HYAL-1 hyaluronidase expression. identification of HYAL-1 promoter. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:29215-27 pubmed publisher..Thus, HYAL-1 expression is epigenetically regulated by the binding of different transcription factors to the methylated and unmethylated HYAL-1 promoter. ..