Affiliation: University of California
- Is Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Associated with Premature Senescence? A Review of the LiteratureJames B Lohr
VA Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health, San Diego, CA Department of Psychiatry and the Sam and Rose Stein Institute for Research on Aging, University of California, San Diego, CA Electronic address
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 23:709-25. 2015..We conducted a comprehensive review of published empirical studies relevant to early aging in PTSD...
- Modafinil improves antipsychotic-induced parkinsonism but not excessive daytime sleepiness, psychiatric symptoms or cognition in schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyJames B Lohr
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego UCSD, La Jolla, CA, USA Psychiatry Service, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA, USA VA Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health, San Diego, CA, USA Electronic address
Schizophr Res 150:289-96. 2013....
- The Peritraumatic Behavior Questionnaire: development and initial validation of a new measure for combat-related peritraumatic reactionsAgorastos Agorastos
Veterans Affairs Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health, VA San Diego, CA, USA
BMC Psychiatry 13:9. 2013..This study describes the development of the PBQ and reports on the psychometric properties of its self-rated version (PBQ-SR)...
- Quantitative assessment of motor abnormalities in untreated patients with major depressive disorderJames B Lohr
Psychiatry Service, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA, USA
J Affect Disord 146:84-90. 2013..The finding of impaired movement time and velocity scaling in the presence of normal reaction time suggests a neuromotor or parkinsonian pathophysiology for slowness in depression...
- Treatment predictors of extrapyramidal side effects in patients with tardive dyskinesia: results from Veterans Affairs Cooperative Study 394James B Lohr
Psychiatry Service, San Diego Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, California 92161, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 22:196-200. 2002..These findings indicate that clinician-modifiable factors related to medication usage can influence the outcome of TD and EPS in patients with persistent TD...
- Oxidative mechanisms and tardive dyskinesiaJames B Lohr
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, San Diego, California, USA
CNS Drugs 17:47-62. 2003..These approaches may include the use of antioxidants as a preventive measure for tardive dyskinesia or the use of other antioxidants or neuroprotective drugs, such as melatonin, for established tardive dyskinesia...
- Positive symptoms of psychosis correlate with expression of ubiquitin proteasome genes in peripheral bloodChad A Bousman
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, California, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 153:1336-41. 2010..Our findings suggest that dysregulation of the UPS, specifically ubiquitin conjugation and deubiquitination, may point to a possible underlying biological mechanism for severity of positive but not negative symptoms...
- Handwriting movement analyses for monitoring drug-induced motor side effects in schizophrenia patients treated with risperidoneMichael P Caligiuri
Department of Psychiatry 0603, University of California, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Hum Mov Sci 28:633-42. 2009..In contrast, we found no association between observer-based EPS severity ratings and medication dose. These findings support the importance of handwriting-based measures to monitor EPS in medicated schizophrenia patients...
- Voxel-based morphometry of patients with schizophrenia or bipolar I disorder: a matched control studyGregory G Brown
VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA, USA
Psychiatry Res 194:149-56. 2011..The hippocampal and amygdala findings confirm predictions derived from recent meta-analyses. These structural abnormalities may be important factors in the differential manifestations of these two functional psychotic disorders...
- Handwriting movement kinematics for quantifying extrapyramidal side effects in patients treated with atypical antipsychoticsMichael P Caligiuri
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Psychiatry Res 177:77-83. 2010..These findings support the ecological validity of handwriting movement analysis as an objective behavioral biomarker for quantifying the effects of antipsychotic medication and dose on the motor system...
- Abnormalities in motor physiology in bipolar disorderJames B Lohr
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 18:342-9. 2006..This study demonstrates that motor abnormalities suggestive of basal ganglia dysfunction occur in many patients with bipolar disorder...
- A functional magnetic resonance imaging study of cortical asymmetry in bipolar disorderMichael P Caligiuri
Department of Psychiatry, University of California at San Diego, and VISN 22 Mental Illness Research, Education, and Clinical Center, VA San Diego Healthcare System, USA
Bipolar Disord 6:183-96. 2004..A secondary goal of the study was to examine effects of psychotropic medications on blood volume changes in the motor cortices...
- Quantitative measurement of handwriting in the assessment of drug-induced parkinsonismMichael P Caligiuri
University of California, Department of Psychiatry, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 29093, USA
Hum Mov Sci 25:510-22. 2006..This study demonstrates that kinematic analyses of pen movements during handwriting may be useful in detecting and monitoring subtle changes in motor control related to the adverse effects of psychotropic medications...
- Striatopallidal regulation of affect in bipolar disorderMichael P Caligiuri
Department of Psychiatry, University of California at San Diego, USA
J Affect Disord 91:235-42. 2006..The aim of this study was to increase our understanding of the functional role of the basal ganglia and thalamus in relation to change in affect in patients with bipolar disorder...
- An fMRI study of affective state and medication on cortical and subcortical brain regions during motor performance in bipolar disorderMichael P Caligiuri
Movement Disorders Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry 0603, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Psychiatry Res 123:171-82. 2003....
- Lateralized cognitive dysfunction and psychotic symptoms in schizophreniaMichael P Caligiuri
University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA
Schizophr Res 80:151-61. 2005....
- Functional brain asymmetries during visuomotor trackingGregory G Brown
Psychology Service 116B, VA San Diego Healthcare System, 3350 La Jolla Village Dr, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 26:356-68. 2004..The VM task used in this study activated asymmetrical neural activity in the vertically organized skelotomotor system and in sensory systems involving visual attention or proprioception...
- Impaired hemispheric communication in schizophrenia: a study using the consonant-vowel-consonant taskJames B Lohr
Department of Psychiatry, San Diego VA Healthcare System, University of California at San Diego, USA
Schizophr Res 87:279-88. 2006....
- Performance of schizophrenia and bipolar patients on verbal and figural working memory tasksGregory G Brown
Psychology Service, Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 116:741-53. 2007....
- Preliminary evidence of ubiquitin proteasome system dysregulation in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder: convergent pathway analysis findings from two independent samplesChad A Bousman
Center for Behavioral Genomics, Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92039, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 153:494-502. 2010..Findings provide preliminary evidence of UPS dysregulation in BPD and psychosis as well as support further investigation of the UPS and other molecular and cellular pathways for potential biomarkers for SCZ, BPD, and/or psychosis...
- Videoconferencing psychotherapy: a systematic reviewAutumn Backhaus
Psychology Service, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA, USA
Psychol Serv 9:111-31. 2012..Although the number of articles being published on VCP has increased in recent years, there remains a need for additional large-scale clinical trials to further assess the efficacy and effectiveness of VCP...
- A randomized trial of short-term acute residential treatment for veteransWilliam B Hawthorne
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, and San Diego County Mental Health Services 92161, USA
Psychiatr Serv 56:1379-86. 2005..This study compared outcomes, patient satisfaction, and episode costs for a sample of 99 veterans who received acute care either at an inpatient unit at a Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) hospital or at a START facility...
- Pharmacogenetics for off-patent antipsychotics: reframing the risk for tardive dyskinesia and access to essential medicinesVural Ozdemir
VA Long Beach Healthcare System, Southern California Institute for Research and Education, Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, College of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, Long Beach, CA 90822, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 7:119-33. 2006..This review discusses pharmacogenetic associations of tardive dyskinesia that are in part supported by meta-analyses and the oxidative stress-neuronal degeneration hypothesis...
- The value of referring to recently introduced antipsychotics as "second generation"James B Lohr
Am J Psychiatry 160:1371-2. 2003
- PhenoChipping of psychotic disorders: a novel approach for deconstructing and quantitating psychiatric phenotypesAlexander B Niculescu
Laboratory of Neurophenomics, Institute of Psychiatric Research, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 141:653-62. 2006..Empirically derived clusterings of (endo)phenotypes and of patients will better serve genetic, pharmacological, and imaging research, as well as clinical practice...
- MOTOR/COGNITIVE ASYMMETRY IN OLDER PSYCHOTIC PATIENTSJames Lohr; Fiscal Year: 2002..We hope these studies will provide insights into the localization of pathology in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, as well as their relationship to each other. ..