L A Lindamer
Affiliation: University of California
- Predisposing, enabling, and need factors associated with high service use in a public mental health systemLaurie A Lindamer
VA Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health, University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Adm Policy Ment Health 39:200-9. 2012..This may be best achieved by the integration of mental health, intensive case management, and supportive housing, as well as other social services...
- Gender differences in characteristics and service use of public mental health patients with schizophreniaLaurie A Lindamer
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Psychiatr Serv 54:1407-9. 2003..Women were significantly more likely to have had a psychiatric hospitalization than men, which may be related to differential use of services by men and women with the worst level of functioning...
- A comparison of gynecological variables and service use among older women with and without schizophreniaLaurie A Lindamer
Department of Psychiatry at the University of California, San Diego, USA
Psychiatr Serv 54:902-4. 2003..These results suggest that women with schizophrenia receive fewer gynecological services than other women. Interventions at the patient, provider, and system levels may be needed to address this disparity in service use...
- Public-academic partnerships: improving care for older persons with schizophrenia through an academic-community partnershipLaurie A Lindamer
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Psychiatr Serv 59:236-9. 2008..Despite the challenges involved, building and maintaining academic-public collaborations will be essential for improving mental health care for persons with schizophrenia...
- Assessment of physical activity in middle-aged and older adults with schizophreniaLaurie A Lindamer
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, United States
Schizophr Res 104:294-301. 2008..The purpose of this study was to characterize PA and determine the test-retest reliability and concurrent validity of the Yale Physical Activity Scale (YPAS), a self-report measure, in persons with schizophrenia...
- Establishing an implementation network: lessons learned from community-based participatory researchLaurie A Lindamer
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
Implement Sci 4:17. 2009..These partnerships provide necessary organizational support to facilitate the implementation of clinical research findings in community practice benefiting consumers, researchers, and providers...
- Relationship of gender and age at onset of schizophrenia to severity of dyskinesiaL A Lindamer
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, 92161, USA
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 13:399-402. 2001..Many factors, including the length of neuroleptic treatment, alcohol and smoking history, and menopausal status, may contribute to the severity of dyskinesia in older patients with schizophrenia...
- Mammography stages of change in middle-aged women with schizophrenia: an exploratory analysisLaurie A Lindamer
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive 0603, La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, USA
BMC Psychiatry 6:49. 2006..Health care providers and educators who seek to create health promotion programs and individualized comprehensive care plans for women with schizophrenia are hindered by the lack of data to guide their efforts...
- A longitudinal study of the use of mental health services by persons with serious mental illness: do Spanish-speaking Latinos differ from English-speaking Latinos and Caucasians?David P Folsom
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Am J Psychiatry 164:1173-80. 2007..The authors used the administrative database of a mental health system to conduct a longitudinal examination of mental health service use among Spanish-speaking versus English-speaking Latinos and Caucasians with serious mental illness...
- Anxiety disorders in a public mental health system: clinical characteristics and service use patternsJulie Loebach Wetherell
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 9116, United States
J Affect Disord 104:179-83. 2007..Anxiety disorders are among the most common forms of psychiatric disorder, yet few investigations have examined the prevalence or service use of clients with anxiety disorders in the public mental health sector...
- Differences in clinical features and mental health service use in bipolar disorder across the lifespanColin A Depp
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, VA San Diego Healthcare System, 9500 Gilman Dr, 0603V, San Diego, CA 92093 0603, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 13:290-8. 2005..Because of the scarcity of research in geriatric bipolar disorder, the authors examined the prevalence, clinical features, and service use of persons with bipolar disorder among older adults treated in a large public mental health system...
- Assisted living and use of health services among medicaid beneficiaries with schizophreniaTodd P Gilmer
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
J Ment Health Policy Econ 6:59-65. 2003..However, there exists little objective evidence regarding the level of services provided by these facilities in general...
- Medical comorbidity and receipt of medical care by older homeless people with schizophrenia or depressionDavid P Folsom
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, 92161, USA
Psychiatr Serv 53:1456-60. 2002..This study compared the number of physical health problems and receipt of physical health care services among older homeless people with schizophrenia and those with major depression...
- Improving understanding of research consent in middle-aged and elderly patients with psychotic disordersLaura B Dunn
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 10:142-50. 2002..Interestingly, EC patients did not differ significantly from RC normal comparison subjects in their post-test scores. Among the patients, comprehension test scores correlated with level of education and cognitive performance...
- Enhancing comprehension of consent for research in older patients with psychosis: a randomized study of a novel consent procedureL B Dunn
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, USA
Am J Psychiatry 158:1911-3. 2001..The authors examined whether a novel consent procedure improved the comprehension of consent for older patients with psychosis...
- Personality profiles among normal aged individuals as measured by the NEO-PI-RS Roepke
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego and the VA San Diego Healthcare System, 92161, USA
Aging Ment Health 5:159-64. 2001..These results were limited by the cross-sectional design and small sample size. Nonetheless, the findings suggest that the middle-aged/young-old and the old-old normal subjects have fairly similar personality traits...
- Schizophrenia in late life: emerging issuesDavid P Folsom
University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0664, USA
Dialogues Clin Neurosci 8:45-52. 2006..Clinical care for this ever-increasing segment of our population requires special consideration of the unique characteristics of older persons with schizophrenia...