Michael Z Lin
Affiliation: University of California
- A drug-controllable tag for visualizing newly synthesized proteins in cells and whole animalsMichael Z Lin
Department of Pharmacology and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California at San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0647, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:7744-9. 2008..We demonstrate applications of TimeSTAMP in retrospectively identifying growing synapses in cultured neurons and in visualizing the distribution of recently synthesized proteins in intact fly brains...
- Fluorescent and photo-oxidizing TimeSTAMP tags track protein fates in light and electron microscopyMargaret T Butko
Department of Pharmacology and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
Nat Neurosci 15:1742-51. 2012..These results demonstrate the versatility of the TimeSTAMP approach for visualizing newly synthesized proteins in neurons...
- Characterization of engineered channelrhodopsin variants with improved properties and kineticsJohn Y Lin
Department of Pharmacology, University of California, San Diego, California, USA
Biophys J 96:1803-14. 2009..ChEF and ChIEF allow more precise temporal control of depolarization, and can induce action potential trains that more closely resemble natural spiking patterns...
- Autofluorescent proteins with excitation in the optical window for intravital imaging in mammalsMichael Z Lin
Department of Pharmacology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, 92093, USA
Chem Biol 16:1169-79. 2009..The crystal structure of Neptune reveals a novel mechanism for red-shifting involving the acquisition of a new hydrogen bond with the acylimine region of the chromophore...
- Neuroligin trafficking deficiencies arising from mutations in the alpha/beta-hydrolase fold protein familyAntonella De Jaco
Department of Pharmacology, Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
J Biol Chem 285:28674-82. 2010..Our results suggest that disease-related mutations in the alpha/beta-hydrolase fold domain share common trafficking deficiencies yet lead to discrete congenital disorders of differing severity in the endocrine and nervous systems...
- Mammalian expression of infrared fluorescent proteins engineered from a bacterial phytochromeXiaokun Shu
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California at San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0647, USA
Science 324:804-7. 2009..Because their wavelengths penetrate tissue well, IFPs are suitable for whole-body imaging. The IFPs developed here provide a scaffold for further engineering...
- Survival factor-mediated BAD phosphorylation raises the mitochondrial threshold for apoptosisSandeep Robert Datta
Division of Neuroscience, Children s Hospital and Department of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Dev Cell 3:631-43. 2002..These findings establish a function for endogenous BAD phosphorylation, and elucidate a mechanism by which survival kinases block apoptosis in vivo...