Affiliation: University of California
- The volume-outcome relationship in nursing home care: an examination of functional decline among long-term care residentsYue Li
Health Policy Research Institute, and Department of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Med Care 48:52-7. 2010..This study sought to determine whether a similar association exists between nursing home volume of long-term care residents and rates of decline in physical function...
- Mental illness and hospitalization for ambulatory care sensitive medical conditionsYue Li
Department of Medicine, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York, USA
Med Care 46:1249-56. 2008..It is unknown whether patients with mental disorders have higher ACS admission rate, compared with patients without mental disorders...
- National release of the nursing home quality report cards: implications of statistical methodology for risk adjustmentYue Li
Department of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Health Serv Res 44:79-102. 2009..DATA SOURCES/STUDY SETTINGS: Secondary data from the national Minimum Data Set files of 2004 and 2005 that include 605,433 long-term residents in 9,336 facilities...
- The effect of state regulatory stringency on nursing home qualityDana B Mukamel
Health Policy Research Institute, University of California, Irvine, 100 Academy, Suite 110, Irvine, CA 92697 5800, USA
Health Serv Res 47:1791-813. 2012..To test the hypothesis that more stringent quality regulations contribute to better quality nursing home care and to assess their cost-effectiveness...
- Adverse hospital events for mentally ill patients undergoing coronary artery bypass surgeryYue Li
Department of Medicine, ECMC, Clinical Center CC 163, State University of New York at Buffalo, 462 Grider Street, Buffalo, NY 14215, USA
Health Serv Res 43:2239-52. 2008..Patients with mental disorders show higher burden of coronary heart disease, and may face special safety issues during in-hospital cardiac care...
- Nursing homes appeals of deficiencies: the informal dispute resolution processDana B Mukamel
Department of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, Health Policy Research Institute, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 13:512-6. 2012..This study presents for the first time national statistics about the IDR process and an analysis of the factors that influence nursing homes' decisions to request an IDR...
- Impact of date stamping on patient safety measurement in patients undergoing CABG: experience with the AHRQ Patient Safety IndicatorsLaurent G Glance
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 8:176. 2008..The objective of this study is to examine whether the AHRQ PSIs accurately measure hospital complication rates, using the data with present-on-admission (POA) codes to distinguish between complications and pre-existing conditions..
- Are patients with coexisting mental disorders more likely to receive CABG surgery from low-quality cardiac surgeons? The experience in New York StateYue Li
Department of Medicine, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo, 461 Grider Street, Buffalo, NY 14215, USA
Med Care 45:587-93. 2007..Presence of a mental disorder has been shown to be associated with reduced access to medical and surgical services. Little is known, however, about the relationship between mental disorders and the quality of medical/surgical care received...
- Perioperative outcomes among patients with the modified metabolic syndrome who are undergoing noncardiac surgeryLaurent G Glance
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, New York, USA
Anesthesiology 113:859-72. 2010..This study will determine the impact of the modified metabolic syndrome (defined as the presence of obesity, hypertension, and diabetes) on perioperative outcomes...
- Gender differences in healthcare-seeking behavior for urinary incontinence and the impact of socioeconomic status: a study of the Medicare managed care populationYue Li
Department of Medicine, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo, 462 Grider Street, New York, NY 14215, USA
Med Care 45:1116-22. 2007..Despite the gender difference in etiology, prevalence and management of urinary incontinence (UI) among community-living older adults, little is known about the effect of gender on their healthcare-seeking behaviors...
- Does state regulation of quality impose costs on nursing homes?Dana B Mukamel
Department of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, Health Policy Research Institute, Irvine, CA 92697 5800, USA
Med Care 49:529-34. 2011..Government regulation is intended to enhance quality, safety, fairness, or competition in the regulated industry. Such regulation entails both direct and indirect costs...
- Does risk adjustment of the CMS quality measures for nursing homes matter?Dana B Mukamel
University of California Irvine, Center for Health Policy Research, Irvine, California 92697 5800, USA
Med Care 46:532-41. 2008..The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) publish a report card for nursing homes with 19 clinical quality measures (QMs). These measures include minimal risk adjustment...
- State "technical assistance programs" for nursing home quality improvement: variations and potential implicationsYue Li
Department of Public Health Sciences, Division of Health Policy and Outcomes Research, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Aging Soc Policy 24:349-67. 2012..In conclusion, state technical assistance programs for nursing homes vary in program design and perceived effectiveness. Future comparative evaluations are needed to inform evidence-based quality initiatives...
- Impact of length of stay after coronary bypass surgery on short-term readmission rate: an instrumental variable analysisYue Li
Department of Community and Preventive Medicine, Division of Health Policy and Outcomes Research, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Med Care 51:45-51. 2013..To determine the effect of postoperative length of stay (LOS) on 30-day readmission after coronary artery bypass surgery...
- Racial disparities in receipt of influenza and pneumococcus vaccinations among US nursing-home residentsYue Li
Health Policy Research Institute and the Department of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, USA
Am J Public Health 100:S256-62. 2010..We examined racial disparities in receipt and documentation of influenza and pneumococcus vaccinations among nursing-home residents...
- Economic burden associated with Parkinson's disease on elderly Medicare beneficiariesKatia Noyes
Department of Community and Preventive Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, New York, NY 14620, USA
Mov Disord 21:362-72. 2006..Although more research is needed to understand the relationship between PD and medical expenditures and utilization, these findings have important implications for health care providers and payers that serve PD populations...