- Photoreactivation of ultraviolet radiation-induced basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) and the role of bFGF in corneal lesion formation in Monodelphis domestica
R D Ley
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology and the Cancer Research and Treatment Center, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131, USA
Environ Mol Mutagen 38:175-9. 2001
..Taken together, these findings suggest that bFGF acts in both an autocrine and a paracrine manner to stimulate corneal fibroplasia, neovascularization, and tumor development...
- Animal models of ultraviolet radiation (UVR)-induced cutaneous melanoma
Ronald D Ley
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology and the Cancer Research and Treatment Center, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Front Biosci 7:d1531-4. 2002
- Chemoprevention of ultraviolet radiation-induced skin cancer
R D Ley
Photomedicine Program, Lovelace Institutes, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87106, USA
Environ Health Perspect 105:981-4. 1997
..Compounds with antioxidant activity, including green tea extracts (polyphenols), have been reported to inhibit UVR-induced skin carcinogenesis...
- Dose response for ultraviolet radiation A-induced focal melanocytic hyperplasia and nonmelanoma skin tumors in Monodelphis domestica
R D Ley
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, Cancer Research and Treatment Center, University of New Mexico Health Science Center, Albuquerque, NM, USA
Photochem Photobiol 73:20-3. 2001
..Overall, the results of this study indicate that the efficacy of UVA to induce FMH in the opossum is not as great as would be predicted from the action spectrum for melanoma induction in a fish model...
- Comparison between ultraviolet-visible and near-infrared elastic scattering spectroscopy of chemically induced melanomas in an animal model
Ousama M A'Amar
Boston University, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Biomed Opt 9:1320-6. 2004
..Both ESS datasets show strong spectral trends with the histopathological assignments, and the data suggest a model for the underlying basis of the spectral distinction between benign and malignant pigmented nevi...
- UV causation of melanoma in Xiphophorus is dominated by melanin photosensitized oxidant production
Simon R Wood
Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:4111-5. 2006
..This approach should be applicable to humans, thus providing an accurate surrogate for Phi(mel) for prevention studies...
- Standardized protocols for photocarcinogenesis safety testing
P Donald Forbes
Argus Research, Charles River Laboratories, Inc Horsham, PA 19044, USA
Front Biosci 8:d848-54. 2003
..Published protocols now describe study designs and procedures capable of determining whether test agents enhance the rate of formation of UVR-induced skin tumors...
- Determination of wavelength-specific UV protection factors of sunscreens in intact skin by EPR measurement of UV-induced reactive melanin radical
College of Pharmacy, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, NM, USA
Photochem Photobiol 83:952-7. 2007
..However, their mPF in the UVA ranges were only about one-third of claimed SPF. This technique can be used to design and assay sunscreens with optimally balanced UVA and UVB protection...