JON DAVID LEVINE
Affiliation: University of California
- Alvarez P, Bogen O, Levine J. Role of nociceptor estrogen receptor GPR30 in a rat model of endometriosis pain. Pain. 2014;155:2680-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, GPR30 expressed by nociceptors innervating ectopic uterine lesions might play a major role in endometriosis pain. ..
- Joseph E, Green P, Ferrari L, Levine J. Homocysteine-induced attenuation of vascular endothelium-dependent hyperalgesia in the rat. Neuroscience. 2015;284:678-84 pubmed publisher..This study provides independent support for a role of the endothelial cell in pain syndromes thought to have a vascular basis, and suggests that substances that are endothelial cell toxins can enhance vascular pain. ..
- Ferrari L, Araldi D, Levine J. Distinct terminal and cell body mechanisms in the nociceptor mediate hyperalgesic priming. J Neurosci. 2015;35:6107-16 pubmed publisher..These data implicate different mechanisms in the soma and terminal in the transition to chronic pain. ..
- Ferrari L, Levine J, Green P. Mechanisms mediating nitroglycerin-induced delayed-onset hyperalgesia in the rat. Neuroscience. 2016;317:121-9 pubmed publisher..A role of the mast and endothelial cell in GTN-induced hyperalgesia suggests potential novel risk factors and targets for the treatment of migraine. ..
- Alvarez P, Green P, Levine J. Neonatal Handling Produces Sex Hormone-Dependent Resilience to Stress-Induced Muscle Hyperalgesia in Rats. J Pain. 2018;19:670-677 pubmed publisher..NH induces androgen-dependent resilience to stress-induced muscle pain. Therefore, androgens may contribute to sex differences observed in chronic musculoskeletal pain and its enhancement by stress. ..
- Khomula E, Ferrari L, Araldi D, Levine J. Sexual Dimorphism in a Reciprocal Interaction of Ryanodine and IP3 Receptors in the Induction of Hyperalgesic Priming. J Neurosci. 2017;37:2032-2044 pubmed publisher..The presence of this signaling pathway modulating the susceptibility of nociceptors to develop plasticity may contribute to our understanding of sex differences observed clinically in chronic pain syndromes. ..
- Araldi D, Ferrari L, Green P, Levine J. Marked sexual dimorphism in 5-HT1 receptors mediating pronociceptive effects of sumatriptan. Neuroscience. 2017;344:394-405 pubmed publisher..Understanding the mechanisms responsible for the complex dose dependence for triptan hyperalgesia may provide useful information for the design of anti-migraine drugs with improved therapeutic profiles. ..
- Araldi D, Khomula E, Ferrari L, Levine J. Fentanyl Induces Rapid Onset Hyperalgesic Priming: Type I at Peripheral and Type II at Central Nociceptor Terminals. J Neurosci. 2018;38:2226-2245 pubmed publisher..Our findings may provide useful information for the design of drugs with improved therapeutic profiles, selectively disrupting individual MOR signaling pathways, to maintain an adequate long-lasting control of pain. ..
- Ferrari L, Araldi D, Bogen O, Levine J. Extracellular matrix hyaluronan signals via its CD44 receptor in the increased responsiveness to mechanical stimulation. Neuroscience. 2016;324:390-8 pubmed publisher..These studies define a clinically relevant role for signaling by the hyaluronan receptor, CD44, in increased responsiveness to mechanical stimulation. ..
- Ferrari L, Araldi D, Green P, Levine J. Age-Dependent Sexual Dimorphism in Susceptibility to Develop Chronic Pain in the Rat. Neuroscience. 2018;387:170-177 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that estrogen levels, which vary differently in males and females over the post-natal period, until they stabilize after puberty, impact pain as an adult. ..
- Ferrari L, Khomula E, Araldi D, Levine J. CD44 Signaling Mediates High Molecular Weight Hyaluronan-Induced Antihyperalgesia. J Neurosci. 2018;38:308-321 pubmed publisher..These results contribute to our understanding of the role of the extracellular matrix in pain, and indicate CD44 as a potential therapeutic target to alleviate inflammatory and neuropathic pain. ..
- Conner L, Alvarez P, Bogen O, Levine J. Role of Kv4.3 in Vibration-Induced Muscle Pain in the Rat. J Pain. 2016;17:444-50 pubmed publisher..3 may contribute to neuropathic pain in people affected by hand-arm vibration syndrome. Our findings establish Kv4.3 as a potential molecular target for the treatment of hand-arm vibration syndrome. ..
- Joseph E, Green P, Levine J. ATP release mechanisms of endothelial cell-mediated stimulus-dependent hyperalgesia. J Pain. 2014;15:771-7 pubmed publisher..Inhibitors of 3 different ATP release mechanisms attenuated this SDH. This study provides support for a role of ATP in SDH and suggests novel targets for the treatment of vascular pain syndromes. ..
- Levine J, Khasar S, Green P. Neurogenic inflammation and arthritis. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2006;1069:155-67 pubmed