Affiliation: University of California
- Nicotinic receptors in addiction pathwaysFrances M Leslie
Department of Pharmacology, University of California, Irvine, California 92617, USA
Mol Pharmacol 83:753-8. 2013....
- Multigenerational epigenetic effects of nicotine on lung functionFrances M Leslie
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
BMC Med 11:27. 2013..Please see related article: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/10/129...
- Nicotine-induced brain metabolism associated with anger provocationJEAN G GEHRICKE
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, University of California, Irvine, 19722 MacArthur Blvd, Irvine, California 92612, USA
Behav Brain Funct 5:19. 2009..These findings reveal the underlying brain circuitry targeted by nicotine during anger provocation...
- Opioid receptor and peptide mRNA expression in proliferative zones of fetal rat central nervous systemF M Leslie
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, University of California, Irvine 92697, USA
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 76:284-93. 1998..Given the segregated expression of proenkephalin mRNA in forebrain neuroepithelium and kappa receptor mRNA within hindbrain, different opioid mechanisms may regulate cell division in rostral and caudal brain regions...
- Nicotinic acetylcholine receptor-mediated release of [3H]norepinephrine from developing and adult rat hippocampus: direct and indirect mechanismsF M Leslie
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Neuropharmacology 42:653-61. 2002..These findings are consistent with the hypothesis that nicotine-induced GABA release serves as an additional stimulus for [(3)H]norepinephrine secretion within rat hippocampus...
- Adolescent development of forebrain stimulant responsiveness: insights from animal studiesFrances M Leslie
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697 4625, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1021:148-59. 2004..Further efforts are required to overcome technical challenges in order to evaluate drug effects systematically in this age group...
- Neonatal treatment with 192 IgG-saporin produces long-term forebrain cholinergic deficits and reduces dendritic branching and spine density of neocortical pyramidal neuronsR T Robertson
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, College of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, 92697 1275, USA
Cereb Cortex 8:142-55. 1998..These results indicate a developmental or maintenance role for cholinergic afferents to cerebral cortical neurons...
- Developmental regulation of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor-mediated [3H]norepinephrine release from rat cerebellumK T O'Leary
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, College of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
J Neurochem 84:952-9. 2003..These data support recent findings of a possible functional role of nAChRs in regulating cerebellar ontogeny, and provides further support for the role of NA as a neurotrophic factor during development...
- Gender specific effect of neonatal handling on stress reactivity of adolescent ratsM K Park
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine and Transdisciplinary Tobacco Use Research Center, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
J Neuroendocrinol 15:289-95. 2003..The striking gender difference in the effect of early neonatal handling provides evidence that this must be considered as an important variable in subsequent stress responsivity induced by early manipulations...
- Enhanced nicotinic acetylcholine receptor-mediated [3H]norepinephrine release from neonatal rat hypothalamusK T O'Leary
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, College of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, 92697, USA
Neuropharmacology 50:81-8. 2006....
- The urotensin II receptor is expressed in the cholinergic mesopontine tegmentum of the ratS D Clark
Department of Developmental and Cell Biology, The University of California, Irvine, CA 92697-4625, USA
Brain Res 923:120-7. 2001..This distribution of UII-R in the cholinergic mesopontine area indicates that the UII system may be involved in sensory-motor integration and perhaps in central nervous system blood flow...
- Expression of the melanin-concentrating hormone (MCH) receptor mRNA in the rat brainY Saito
Department of Pharmacology, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, California 92697-4625, USA
J Comp Neurol 435:26-40. 2001..However, the extensive MCHR distribution throughout the brain suggests that this receptor may play a role in other functions, most notably reinforcement, arousal, sensorimotor integration, and autonomic control...
- Brain monoglyceride lipase participating in endocannabinoid inactivationT P Dinh
Department of Pharmacology, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697 4625, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:10819-24. 2002..No such effect was observed on the accumulation of anandamide, another endocannabinoid lipid. The results suggest that hydrolysis by means of MGL is a primary mechanism for 2-AG inactivation in intact neurons...
- Vaccination against nicotine does not prevent nicotine-induced changes in fetal nicotinic receptor binding and c-fos mRNA expression in ratsP R Pentel
Department of Medicine, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Neurotoxicol Teratol 28:589-96. 2006..The lack of effect of vaccination suggests that the cumulative exposure of fetal tissues to nicotine may influence the measured parameters to a greater extent than peak exposure levels...
- Developmental regulation of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors within midbrain dopamine neuronsL Azam
Department of Biology, University of Utah, 257 South 1400 East, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Neuroscience 144:1347-60. 2007..In males, but not females, there were significant changes in both nicotine potency and efficacy during this developmental period. These findings suggest that nAChRs may play critical functional roles throughout DA neuronal maturation...
- Regulation of Homer and group I metabotropic glutamate receptors by nicotineJ K Kane
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Eur J Neurosci 21:1145-54. 2005..These data provide further evidence for the involvement of nicotine in the glutamatergic neuronal synaptic activity in vivo, suggesting a role for the newly identified Homer proteins in this paradigm...
- Co-expression of alpha7 and beta2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit mRNAs within rat brain cholinergic neuronsL Azam
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Neuroscience 119:965-77. 2003..There may also be differential nAChR regulation of cholinergic and non-cholinergic cells within the mesopontine tegmentum that are implicated in acquisition of nicotine self-administration...