Christy Harris Lemak
Affiliation: University of Florida
- Insights from a national survey into why substance abuse treatment units add prevention and outreach servicesRebecca Wells
Department of Health Policy and Administration, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy 1:21. 2006..Based on an ecological framework of organizational strategy, three categories of predictors were tested: (1) environmental, (2) unit-level, and (3) unit leadership...
- Factors that influence staffing of outpatient substance abuse treatment programsChristy Harris Lemak
Department of Health Services Research, Management and Policy of the University of Florida, P O Box 100195, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0195, USA
Psychiatr Serv 56:934-9. 2005..This study examined whether and how various organizational and environmental forces influence staffing in outpatient substance abuse treatment programs...
- Variations in hospital administrative costsNiccie L McKay
Department of Health Services Research, Management and Policy, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
J Healthc Manag 53:153-66; discussion 166-7. 2008....
- Collaboration to improve services for the uninsured: exploring the concept of health navigators as interorganizational integratorsChristy Harris Lemak
Department of Health Services Administration, College of Health Professions, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 29:196-206. 2004..Drawing on traditional theoretical perspectives on coordination, we present the health navigator as an "integrator" among a complex set of safety net providers and public health insurance programs...
- Why do drug treatment organizations use contingent staffing arrangements? An analysis of market and social influencesChristy Harris Lemak
Department of Health Services Administration, University of Florida, P O Box 100195, Gainesville, FL 32610 0195, USA
J Health Soc Behav 44:180-97. 2003..By considering both market and social influences of contingent staffing, we contribute to a growing body of research on how markets and institutions interact to influence organizational structures and practices in the health care system...
- Expanding the definition of access: it isn't just about health insuranceAllyson G Hall
Florida Center for Medicaid and the Uninsured, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 19:625-38. 2008..The survey also showed that beneficiaries may encounter difficulty in reaching physicians and making appointments: 22% of all calls were not answered on the first attempt and over two-thirds of providers had no weekend or evening hours...
- Innovative teaching for health law: a case study of a hospital medical malpractice lawsuit simulationRandall Carter Jenkins
University of Florida Health Science Center Self Insurance Program, Department of Health Services, Research, Management and Policy, College of Public Health and Health Professions, 9414 S W 27th Road, Gainesville, FL 32608, USA
J Health Adm Educ 24:43-57. 2007..The article concludes with examples of how a simulated mock trial may also provide similar interdisciplinary educational, performance improvement, and cost saving benefits to healthcare professionals and their organizations...
- Administrative burden and its implications for outpatient substance abuse treatment organizationsChristy Harris Lemak
Department of Health Services Administrastion, University of Florida, PO Box 100195, Gainesville, FL 32610 0195, USA
Psychiatr Serv 54:705-11. 2003..The aim of this study was to examine the extent of administrative burden on outpatient substance abuse treatment organizations and its implications for efficiency and productivity...
- Analyzing administrative costs in hospitalsNiccie L McKay
Department of Health Services Research, Management and Policy, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 31:347-54. 2006..An illustration of the framework uses 2003 data for Florida hospitals...
- Strategy as simple rules: understanding success in a rural clinicChristy Harris Lemak
Department of Health Services Administration, University of Florida, Gainesville, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 28:179-88. 2003..We document how such rules may emerge as success is viewed retrospectively. We describe four simple rules that emerged in this setting and explicate how our case analysis may assist other rural providers...
- Factors associated with interorganizational relationships among outpatient drug treatment organizations 1990-2000Rebecca Wells
Penn State University, 116 Henderson Building, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Health Serv Res 40:1356-78. 2005..Because IORs can improve access to care and quality, policy makers should consider using both incentives and support such as management training to promote IOR formation...
- Case management and client access to health and social services in outpatient substance abuse treatmentJeffrey A Alexander
Department of Health Management and Policy, The University of Michigan, 109 S Observatory, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 34:221-36. 2007..However, these effects are specific to general health care and mental health services. Case management appears to have little effect on use of social services or aftercare plans...
- Organizational survival in the outpatient substance abuse treatment sector, 1988-2000Rebecca Wells
Penn State University, USA
Med Care Res Rev 62:697-719. 2005..Facilities that treat clients with multiple addictions may need additional financial support to serve these particularly vulnerable clients...
- Politically connected: increasing the political competency of healthcare executives in health policyWilliam Cass McCaughrin
Department of Health Care Administration, Trinity University, One Trinity Place, San Antonio, Texas, USA
J Health Adm Educ 22:67-83. 2005..Thus, the article provides a teaching framework for health services management students about key intersections between management and policymaking...
- Tailored treatment in the outpatient substance abuse treatment sector: 1995-2005Jeffrey A Alexander
Department of Health Management and Policy, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 34:282-92. 2008..This trend is troublesome given that minority clients constitute a large proportion of those utilizing OSAT programs...
- Tailoring of outpatient substance abuse treatment to women, 1995-2005Cynthia I Campbell
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, CA, USA
Med Care 45:775-80. 2007..Tailoring substance abuse treatment to women often leads to better outcomes. Previous evidence, however, suggests limited availability of such options...
- Changes in managed care activity in outpatient substance abuse treatment organizations, 1995-2000Jeffrey A Alexander
Department of Health Management and Policy, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 30:369-81. 2003....