David I Leitman
Affiliation: University of Pennsylvania
- Theory of Mind (ToM) and counterfactuality deficits in schizophrenia: misperception or misinterpretation?David I Leitman
Program in Cognitive Neuroscience and Schizophrenia, Nathan S Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, Orangeburg, NY 10962, USA
Psychol Med 36:1075-83. 2006..Sarcastic detection ability has not previously been studied in schizophrenia, although patients have been shown to have deficits in ability to decode emotional information from speech ('affective prosody')...
- Not pitch perfect: sensory contributions to affective communication impairment in schizophreniaDavid I Leitman
Department of Psychiatry Neuropsychiatry Program, Brain Behavior Laboratory, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4283, USA
Biol Psychiatry 70:611-8. 2011..The neural correlates of this dysfunction are unclear. Prior study has suggested that schizophrenia vocal affect perception deficits stem from an inability to use acoustic cues, notably pitch, in decoding emotion...
- Ventrolateral prefrontal cortex and the effects of task demand context on facial affect appraisal in schizophreniaDavid I Leitman
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci 6:66-73. 2011..In schizophrenia, reduced modulation of OFC/VLPFC by context coupled with reduced behavioural efficiency suggests impaired ventral prefrontal control mechanisms that optimize affective appraisal...
- Abnormal superior temporal connectivity during fear perception in schizophreniaDavid I Leitman
Department of Psychiatry Neuropsychiatry Program, Brain Behavior Laboratory, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4283, USA
Schizophr Bull 34:673-8. 2008..Such abnormal integration may disrupt the evaluation of threat within fronto-cortical regions...
- "It's Not What You Say, But How You Say it": A Reciprocal Temporo-frontal Network for Affective ProsodyDavid I Leitman
Department of Psychiatry Neuropsychiatry Program, Brain Behavior Laboratory, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine Philadelphia, PA, USA
Front Hum Neurosci 4:19. 2010..Auditory regions may thus integrate acoustic information with amygdala input to form emotion-specific representations, which are evaluated within inferior frontal regions...
- Preliminary Evidence of Pre-Attentive Distinctions of Frequency-Modulated Tones that Convey AffectDavid I Leitman
Neuropsychiatry Section, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine Philadelphia, PA, USA
Front Hum Neurosci 5:96. 2011..MMNs to FM tones that differentiate affect suggests that these abstractions may be sufficient to characterize prosodic distinctions, and that these distinctions can be represented in pre-attentive auditory sensory memory...
- Mismatch negativity to tonal contours suggests preattentive perception of prosodic contentDavid I Leitman
Neuropsychiatry Program Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, 10th Floor Gates Bldg, 3400 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Brain Imaging Behav 3:284-91. 2009..These MMNs demonstrate that pitch contour abstractions reflecting interrogative/ declarative distinctions can be represented in preattentive auditory sensory memory...
- Social cognition in schizophreniaMichael F Green
University of California, Los Angeles, Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, 300 Medical Plaza, Room 2263, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6968, USA
Schizophr Bull 34:670-2. 2008..The articles in this theme summarize data-based studies that have attempted to build or strengthen such bridges to better understand the neural bases of social cognitive impairment in schizophrenia...
- The neural substrates of impaired prosodic detection in schizophrenia and its sensorial antecedentsDavid I Leitman
Program in Cognitive Neuroscience and Schizophrenia, Cognitive Neurophysiology Laboratory, Nathan S Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, 140 Old Orangeburg Rd, Orangeburg, NY 10962, USA
Am J Psychiatry 164:474-82. 2007..This study examined neural substrates of prosodic dysfunction in schizophrenia with voxelwise analysis of diffusion tensor magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)...
- Sensory contributions to impaired prosodic processing in schizophreniaDavid I Leitman
Program in Cognitive Neuroscience and Schizophrenia, Nathan S. Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, Orangeburg, NY 10962, USA
Biol Psychiatry 58:56-61. 2005..The separate loading of auditory and visual affective recognition measures suggests that within-modality factors may be more significant than cross-modality factors in the etiology of affect recognition deficits in schizophrenia...