Anthony F Lehman
Affiliation: University of Maryland
- Improving employment outcomes for persons with severe mental illnessesAnthony F Lehman
Department of Psychiatry, University of Maryland, 701 W Pratt St, Suite 388, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 59:165-72. 2002..This study assesses the effectiveness of the Individual Placement and Support model of supportive employment relative to usual psychosocial rehabilitation services for improving employment among inner-city patients with these disorders...
- The Schizophrenia Patient Outcomes Research Team (PORT): updated treatment recommendations 2003Anthony F Lehman
Department of Psychiatry, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Schizophr Bull 30:193-217. 2004....
- Evidence-based treatment for schizophreniaAnthony F Lehman
Department of Psychiatry University of Maryland School of Medicine, 701 West Pratt Street, Suite 388, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Psychiatr Clin North Am 26:939-54. 2003..Knowledge regarding how best to combine treatments to optimize outcomes is scarce...
- The Schizophrenia Care and Assessment Program Health Questionnaire (SCAP-HQ): an instrument to assess outcomes of schizophrenia careAnthony F Lehman
Center for Mental Health Services Research, University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA
Schizophr Bull 29:247-56. 2003..This new measure represents an advance in the development of outcome measures for schizophrenia for use in large-scale studies of routine care...
- Changes over time and disparities in schizophrenia treatment qualityAlisa B Busch
Department of Psychiatry, McLean Hospital, Alcohol and Drug Abuse Treatment Program, Belmont, Massachusetts, USA
Med Care 47:199-207. 2009..However, there also have been considerable changes in the delivery of mental health care in the public sector, as well as increasing state concerns about Medicaid cost containment...
- Clozapine utilization and outcomes by race in a public mental health system: 1994-2000Deanna L Kelly
Maryland Psychiatric Research Center, University of Maryland, Baltimore 21228, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 67:1404-11. 2006..This study extends previous studies of clozapine by examining patient- and treatment-related factors that may help explain or eliminate reasons for differential prescribing...
- Evidence-based psychotherapy for schizophreniaFaith B Dickerson
Sheppard Pratt Health System, Baltimore, Maryland 21204, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 194:3-9. 2006..Future research may also consider three different goals of psychotherapy with this population: to provide emotional support, to enhance skills for functional recovery, and to alter the underlying illness process...
- The effect of a managed behavioral health carve-out on quality of care for medicaid patients diagnosed as having schizophreniaAlisa B Busch
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 61:442-8. 2004..The evidence on quality impacts is limited and suggests comparable quality overall, except that people with severe psychiatric disorders may be those most disadvantaged by MBHCOs...
- A web-based program to empower patients who have schizophrenia to discuss quality of care with mental health providersDonald M Steinwachs
Department of Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Psychiatr Serv 62:1296-302. 2011..This study evaluated a Web-based tool to help patients with schizophrenia communicate with clinicians about evidence-based treatments...
- Antipsychotic treatment patterns and hospitalizations among adults with schizophreniaSusan dosReis
Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Schizophr Res 101:304-11. 2008..We hypothesized that continuous antipsychotic treatment would be associated with fewer hospitalizations and shorter lengths of stay...
- Evidence-based psychosocial treatment practices in schizophrenia: lessons from the patient outcomes research team (PORT) projectAnthony F Lehman
Department of Psychiatry, University of Maryland, Baltimore 21201, USA
J Am Acad Psychoanal Dyn Psychiatry 31:141-54. 2003..quot; In particular, efficacious psychosocial treatments are highly underutilized...
- Clinical factors associated with employment among people with severe mental illness: findings from the employment intervention demonstration programLisa A Razzano
Center on Mental Health Services Research and Policy, Department of Psychiatry, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60603, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 193:705-13. 2005..These findings suggest ways that providers can tailor supported employment programs to achieve success with a diverse array of clinical subpopulations...
- Racial disparity in the pharmacological management of schizophreniaJulie Kreyenbuhl
Mental Illness Research, Education, and Clinical Center, VAMHCS Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Schizophr Bull 29:183-93. 2003..A prospective, longitudinal evaluation is warranted to determine whether the observed patterns of prescribing are associated with poorer therapeutic outcomes in minority patients...
- Vocational rehabilitation in schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders: a literature review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsElizabeth W Twamley
University of California, San Diego, Department of Psychiatry, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 191:515-23. 2003..79). This effect size may be a useful benchmark for future trials. Further investigations should examine individual differences as predictors of response, to identify modifiable versus nonmodifiable factors that yield better outcomes...
- Antipsychotic dosing and concurrent psychotropic treatments for Medicaid-insured individuals with schizophreniaSusan dosReis
Johns Hopkins Hospital, Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Baltimore, MD 21287 3325, USA
Schizophr Bull 28:607-17. 2002..Likewise, concurrent antiparkinsonian treatment exceeded the 1990 World Health Organization recommendations...
- Evidence-based psychotherapy for schizophrenia: 2011 updateFaith B Dickerson
Department of Psychology, Sheppard Pratt Health System, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 199:520-6. 2011..Future research may also consider three different goals of psychotherapy in this patient population: to provide emotional support, to enhance functional recovery, and to alter the underlying illness process...
- Outcomes of a randomized study of a peer-taught Family-to-Family Education Program for mental illnessLisa B Dixon
Department of Psychiatry, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 737 West Baltimore St, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Psychiatr Serv 62:591-7. 2011..The Family-to-Family Education Program (FTF) is a 12-week course offered by the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) for family members of adults with mental illness. This study evaluated the course's effectiveness...
- The heterogeneity of schizophrenia in disease statesPenny E Mohr
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, ORDI REG DBR, Mail stop C3 19 07 7500, Security Boulevard, Baltimore, MD 21244, USA
Schizophr Res 71:83-95. 2004....
- Social network correlates among people with psychiatric disabilitiesRichard W Goldberg
Department of Psychiatry and Center for Mental Health Services Research, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore 21201, USA
Psychiatr Rehabil J 26:393-402. 2003..Network multiplexity was most highly associated with demographic variables, such as ethnic minority status, less education, never being married, and living with family...
- Cognitive correlates of job tenure among patients with severe mental illnessJames M Gold
Maryland Psychiatric Research Center and the Center for Mental Health Services Research, Department of Psychiatry, University of Maryland, Baltimore 21228, USA
Am J Psychiatry 159:1395-402. 2002..The objective of the present study was to examine the cognitive predictors of vocational functioning in the context of a controlled clinical trial by comparing two approaches to vocational rehabilitation...
- An exploratory analysis of correlates of recoverySandra G Resnick
Department of Veterans Affairs VA Northeast Program Evaluation Center in West Haven, Connecticut 06516, USA
Psychiatr Serv 55:540-7. 2004..The concept of recovery has received increasing emphasis in the delivery of services to persons with schizophrenia. This study was an initial effort to develop an empirically based model of factors associated with a recovery orientation...
- Integration of psychiatric and vocational services: a multisite randomized, controlled trial of supported employmentJudith A Cook
UIC Department of Psychiatry, University of Illinois at Chicago, 104 South Michigan Ave, Suite 900, Chicago, IL 60603, USA
Am J Psychiatry 162:1948-56. 2005..This multisite, randomized implementation effectiveness trial examined the impact of highly integrated psychiatric and vocational rehabilitation services on the likelihood of successful work outcomes...
- Remembering Gerard HogartyAnthony F Lehman
Psychiatr Serv 57:1677. 2006
- Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with schizophrenia, second editionAnthony F Lehman
Am J Psychiatry 161:1-56. 2004
- An empirical conceptualization of the recovery orientationSandra G Resnick
Northeast Program Evaluation Center and Yale University School of Medicine, NEPEC 182, 950 Campbell Avenue, West Haven, CT 06516, USA
Schizophr Res 75:119-28. 2005..The recovery movement is having a growing impact on policy for people with severe mental illness. The empirical literature on the recovery orientation, however, is scant, and no empirical conceptualization of recovery has been published...
- Early intervention for psychosis and schizophreniaAnthony F Lehman
J Nerv Ment Dis 195:965-7. 2007
- Correlates of family contact with the mental health system: allocation of a scarce resourceSandra G Resnick
VA Connecticut Healthcare System, NEPEC 182, 950 Campbell Avenue, West Haven, CT 06516, USA
Ment Health Serv Res 7:113-21. 2005....
- Schizophrenia, co-occurring substance use disorders and quality of care: the differential effect of a managed behavioral health care carve-outAlisa B Busch
Alcohol and Drug Abuse Treatment Program and the Department of Health Care Policy, McLean Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Proctor Building, 115 Mill St, Belmont, MA 02446, USA
Adm Policy Ment Health 33:388-97. 2006..Most pronounced across both populations were decrements in receiving the psychosocial treatments for enrollees in the CO arrangement...
- Preadmission care as a new mental health performance indicatorDavid J Dausey
Northeast Program Evaluation Center, Department of Veterans Affairs, West Haven, Connecticut, USA
Psychiatr Serv 53:1451-5. 2002..This study examined the relationship between receipt of preadmission outpatient care during the month before an episode of hospitalization and the patients' subsequent treatment...