Rebecca E Lee
Affiliation: University of Kansas Medical Center
- The relation between community bans of self-service tobacco displays and store environment and between tobacco accessibility and merchant incentivesR E Lee
Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, USA
Am J Public Health 91:2019-21. 2001..These studies investigated (1) the effect of community bans of self-service tobacco displays on store environment and (2) the effect of consumer tobacco accessibility on merchants...
- Discretionary time among older adults: how do physical activity promotion interventions affect sedentary and active behaviors?Rebecca E Lee
Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City 66160, USA
Ann Behav Med 25:112-9. 2003..Older adults are participating in numerous sedentary social and recreational activities that appear to remain stable across time and in the face of PA intervention prescriptions...
- Neighborhood context and youth cardiovascular health behaviorsRebecca E Lee
Stanford Center for Research in Disease Prevention, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA, USA
Am J Public Health 92:428-36. 2002....
- Validating motivational readiness for exercise behavior with adolescentsR E Lee
Stanford Center for Research in Disease Prevention at Stanford University School of Medicine, USA
Res Q Exerc Sport 72:401-10. 2001..Results support the validity of the staging framework for measuring motivational readiness for exercise behavior among North American adolescents...
- Factors associated with BMI, weight perceptions and trying to lose weight in African-American smokersRebecca E Lee
Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 97:53-61. 2005..Several expected associations with outcomes were not found, suggesting that BMI and weight constructs are not well-understood in this population...
- Additive interactions of maternal prepregnancy BMI and breast-feeding on childhood overweightChaoyang Li
Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Kansas Cancer Institute, University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS, USA
Obes Res 13:362-71. 2005..To examine the interactions of maternal prepregnancy BMI and breast-feeding on the risk of overweight among children 2 to 14 years of age...
- Development of a culturally relevant body image instrument among urban African AmericansKim M Pulvers
Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, University of Kansas Medical Center Mailstop 1008, Kansas City, KS 66160 7313, USA
Obes Res 12:1641-51. 2004..To validate a culturally relevant body image instrument among urban African Americans through three distinct studies...
- Direct observation of physician counseling on dietary habits and exercise: patient, physician, and office correlatesNadeem A Anis
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Missouri in Kansas City, Kansas City, MO 64110, USA
Prev Med 38:198-202. 2004..This study documented the frequency and correlates of directly observed physicians' counseling on dietary habits and exercise in private medical practices...
- Ecologic correlates of obesity in rural obese adultsRebecca E Lee
Department of Health and Human Performance, University of Houston, Giarrison Gymnasium 104 E, 3855 Holman Rd, Houston, TX 77004, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 26:424-33. 2007..We examined relationships of individual and environmental factors with obesity and trying to lose weight in rural residents...
- Contribution of neighbourhood socioeconomic status and physical activity resources to physical activity among womenRebecca E Lee
Health and Human Performance, University of Houston, Garrison Gym 104E, Houston, TX 77204, USA
J Epidemiol Community Health 61:882-90. 2007..This study aimed to investigate whether access to physical activity resources mediated the relationship between neighbourhood socioeconomic status and physical activity among women...
- Smoking, weight loss intention and obesity-promoting behaviors in college studentsShawna L Carroll
Watkins Memorial Health Center, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 25:348-53. 2006..To examine whether college smoking was associated with trying to lose weight and other weight-related behaviors...
- Ready to be physically active? The effects of a course preparing low-income multiethnic women to be more physically activeRakale Collins
Social Epidemiology Research Division, Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30310 1495, USA
Health Educ Behav 31:47-64. 2004..Preintervention preparatory courses may be an effective way to increase social and cognitive constructs associated with physical activity behavior, potentially yielding a greater effect from subsequent interventions...
- Assessing overweight, obesity, diet, and physical activity in college studentsTerry T K Huang
Gerald J and Dorothy R Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
J Am Coll Health 52:83-6. 2003..Most college students are not meeting dietary and physical activity guidelines, suggesting the need for prevention interventions and increased understanding of overweight in college students...
- Validity of a modified CHAMPS physical activity questionnaire among African-AmericansKen Resnicow
University of Michigan, Health Behavior and Health Education School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 35:1537-45. 2003..Numerous self-report PA instruments have been validated in white adults; however, few studies have reported validity in African-Americans...
- Resources for physical activity participation: does availability and accessibility differ by neighborhood socioeconomic status?Paul A Estabrooks
Department of Kinesiology, Kansas State University, USA
Ann Behav Med 25:100-4. 2003..Community research and promotion efforts should include assessment and targeting of available and accessible physical activity resources...
- How does the built environment relate to body mass index and obesity prevalence among public housing residents?Katie M Heinrich
University of Hawaii at Manoa, School of Medicine, Department of Public Health Sciences, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA
Am J Health Promot 22:187-94. 2008..This study examined associations of environmental variables with obesity prevalence and individual body mass index (BMI) among impoverished residents of public housing developments...
- Overweight and components of the metabolic syndrome in college studentsTerry T K Huang
Gerald J and Dorothy R Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Tufts University, 711 Washington St, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Diabetes Care 27:3000-1. 2004
- Obesogenic influences in public housing: a mixed-method analysisGail Regan
Department of Psychology, Castleton State College, Castleton, Vermont, USA
Am J Health Promot 20:282-90. 2006..Obesity prevalence is higher among those who live in impoverished environments. This investigation identified obesogenic factors in urban neighborhoods surrounding public housing developments (HDs)...
- A content analysis of Web sites promoting smoking culture and lifestyleKurt M Ribisl
Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, UNC School of Public Health, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7440, USA
Health Educ Behav 30:64-78. 2003..These results underscore the need for greater research and monitoring of smoking-related Internet content by health educators and tobacco control advocates...