Walter S Leal
Affiliation: University of California
- Choo Y, Xu P, Hwang J, Zeng F, Tan K, Bhagavathy G, et al. Reverse chemical ecology approach for the identification of an oviposition attractant for Culex quinquefasciatus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018;115:714-719 pubmed publisher..Cage oviposition and dual-choice assays demonstrated that acetaldehyde is an oviposition attractant in a wide range of concentrations and thus of potential practical applications. ..
- Zanardi O, Volpe H, Favaris A, Silva W, Luvizotto R, Magnani R, et al. Putative sex pheromone of the Asian citrus psyllid, Diaphorina citri, breaks down into an attractant. Sci Rep. 2018;8:455 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly, captures of females in acetic acid-baited traps were also higher than in control traps, possibly because of physical stimuli emitted by captured males. ..
- Leal W, Chen A, Ishida Y, Chiang V, Erickson M, Morgan T, et al. Kinetics and molecular properties of pheromone binding and release. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:5386-91 pubmed..Fluorescence studies shed light on the contributions of Trp-37 and Trp-127 emissions to the overall fluorescence...
- Leal W, Ishida Y, Pelletier J, Xu W, Rayo J, Xu X, et al. Olfactory proteins mediating chemical communication in the navel orangeworm moth, Amyelois transitella. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7235 pubmed publisher..Of these, AtraPBP1 is highly enriched in male antennae. Fluorescence, CD and NMR studies suggest a dramatic pH-dependent conformational change, with high affinity to pheromone constituents at neutral pH and no binding at low pH. ..
- Cardoso Júnior C, Silva R, Borges N, de Carvalho W, Walter S, Simões Z, et al. Methyl farnesoate epoxidase (mfe) gene expression and juvenile hormone titers in the life cycle of a highly eusocial stingless bee, Melipona scutellaris. J Insect Physiol. 2017;101:185-194 pubmed publisher..Hence, the physiological circuitries underlying a highly eusocial life style may be variable, even within a monophyletic clade such as the corbiculate bees. ..