Affiliation: University of New Mexico
- Maximizing the synergy between pharmacotherapy and psychosocial therapies for schizophreniaJohn Lauriello
Department of Psychiatry, University of New Mexico, 2400 Tucker Avenue NE, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Psychiatr Clin North Am 26:191-211. 2003....
- Long-acting risperidone vs. placebo in the treatment of hospital inpatients with schizophreniaJohn Lauriello
Department of Psychiatry MSC095030, 1 University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, NM 87131 001, USA
Schizophr Res 72:249-58. 2005..5%; P < 0.01). Long-acting risperidone was well tolerated. Long-acting risperidone initiated during inpatient treatment may be an important strategy in improving long-term outcomes among patients with schizophrenia...
- An 8-week, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study of olanzapine long-acting injection in acutely ill patients with schizophreniaJohn Lauriello
Department of Psychiatry, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131 001, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 69:790-9. 2008..To examine the efficacy and tolerability of a new injectable formulation of olanzapine, olanzapine long-acting injection (LAI), relative to placebo for treatment of acutely ill patients with schizophrenia...
- Proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy during initial treatment with antipsychotic medication in schizophreniaJuan R Bustillo
Department of Psychiatry, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:2456-66. 2008..Early in the illness, schizophrenia patients already demonstrate subtle reductions in NAA. Treatment with typical or atypical antipsychotic medications for several months does not result in NAA changes...
- The MCIC collection: a shared repository of multi-modal, multi-site brain image data from a clinical investigation of schizophreniaRandy L Gollub
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Building 120, Suite 101D, Charlestown, MA 02129 2000, USA
Neuroinformatics 11:367-88. 2013..This manuscript describes the inclusion/exclusion criteria, imaging parameters and other information that will assist those wishing to use this data repository. ..
- Glutamate as a marker of cognitive function in schizophrenia: a proton spectroscopic imaging study at 4 TeslaJuan R Bustillo
Department of Psychiatry, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Biol Psychiatry 69:19-27. 2011..We examined the relationship between glutamate metabolism and cognitive function in schizophrenia...
- Dysregulation of working memory and default-mode networks in schizophrenia using independent component analysis, an fBIRN and MCIC studyDae Il Kim
The MIND Research Network, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131, USA
Hum Brain Mapp 30:3795-811. 2009....
- Longitudinal follow-up of neurochemical changes during the first year of antipsychotic treatment in schizophrenia patients with minimal previous medication exposureJuan R Bustillo
Department of Psychiatry, Research Division, University of New Mexico, 2400 Tucker NE, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Schizophr Res 58:313-21. 2002..The well-described reduced frontal NAA in schizophrenia may not be a trait of the illness but may represent medication effect or progression of the disease...
- Long-term treatment of rats with haloperidol: lack of an effect on brain N-acetyl aspartate levelsJuan Bustillo
Department of Psychiatry, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 31:751-6. 2006..The documented lower NAA in chronically treated schizophrenia patients is most likely not a simple effect of antipsychotic medications...
- Effects of ketamine on anterior cingulate glutamate metabolism in healthy humans: a 4-T proton MRS studyLaura M Rowland
Department of Psychiatry, MIND Imaging Center, University of New Mexico, USA
Am J Psychiatry 162:394-6. 2005..The authors' goal was to test in humans the hypothesis that N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor (NMDAR) antagonism results in increased cortical glutamate activity, as proposed by the NMDAR hypofunction model of schizophrenia...
- Cigarette smoking and white matter microstructure in schizophreniaKathryn R Cullen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Psychiatry Res 201:152-8. 2012..Further, low FA in specific brain areas may be a neural marker for complex pathophysiology and risk for diverse problems such as schizophrenia, low IQ, and nicotine addiction...
- Integrated treatment of schizophreniaRoshel Lenroot
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of New Mexico, 2400 Tucker NE, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Psychiatr Serv 54:1499-507. 2003..Emphasis is placed on areas of interaction, including patient adherence and the effect of antipsychotic medications on cognitive functioning. Recommendations are presented for specific clinical situations...
- Long-term efficacy and safety of iloperidone: results from 3 clinical trials for the treatment of schizophreniaJohn M Kane
Department of Psychiatry, The Zucker Hillside Hospital, Glen Oaks, NY 11004, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 28:S29-35. 2008..4 msec (haloperidol) at end point. Iloperidone demonstrated long-term efficacy equivalent to haloperidol and a favorable long-term safety profile, potentially making this agent a suitable option as maintenance therapy for schizophrenia...
- Treatment of weight gain with fluoxetine in olanzapine-treated schizophrenic outpatientsJuan R Bustillo
Department of Psychiatry, Research Division, 2400 Tucker NE, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 28:527-9. 2003..Serotonin reuptake inhibitors are probably not a practical option to counteract weight gain induced by atypical antipsychotics. Atypical-induced weight gain may result from mechanisms other than 5HT reuptake blockade...
- Treatment of rats with antipsychotic drugs: lack of an effect on brain N-acetyl aspartate levelsJuan Bustillo
Department of Psychiatry, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Schizophr Res 66:31-9. 2004..We studied in the rat the effect of antipsychotic drugs on NAA in several brain regions where NAA reductions have been reported in chronically medicated patients with schizophrenia...
- Reproducibility of 1H-MRS measurements in schizophrenic patientsPaul G Mullins
MIND Imaging Center, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131, USA
Magn Reson Med 50:704-7. 2003..These results extend previous studies of healthy, normal subjects, and establish that it is possible to obtain reliable measures of brain metabolites in clinical populations...
- Patient and psychiatrist ratings of hypothetical schizophrenia research protocols: assessment of harm potential and factors influencing participation decisionsLaura Weiss Roberts
Empirical Ethics Group, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albequerque 87156 5326, USA
Am J Psychiatry 159:573-84. 2002....
- Long-acting injectable aripiprazole: how might it fit in our tool box?Ganesh Gopalakrishna
Department of Psychiatry, University of Missouri Columbia, 3 Hospital Drive, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Clin Schizophr Relat Psychoses 7:87-92. 2013..All things considered, we welcome our new tool, ALAI, to our work-place and predict both clinical practice and post marketing analysis and studies will discover its true value. ..
- Brain-performance correlates of working memory retrieval in schizophrenia: a cognitive modeling approachGregory G Brown
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Schizophr Bull 35:32-46. 2009..The results show at both cognitive and neural levels that disordered memory scanning contributes to deficient SIRP performance among schizophrenia patients...
- Voxel-based morphometric multisite collaborative study on schizophreniaJudith M Segall
The MIND Research Network, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Schizophr Bull 35:82-95. 2009....
- Treatment of antidepressant-associated sexual dysfunction with sildenafil: a randomized controlled trialH George Nurnberg
Department of Psychiatry, Health Sciences Center, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, 2400 Tucker NE, Albuquerque, NM 87131 5288, USA
JAMA 289:56-64. 2003..Sexual dysfunction is a common adverse effect of antidepressants that frequently results in treatment noncompliance...
- High choline concentrations in the caudate nucleus in antipsychotic-naive patients with schizophreniaJuan R Bustillo
Department of Psychiatry, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, 87131, USA
Am J Psychiatry 159:130-3. 2002..Proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy ((1)H-MRS) studies of medicated patients with schizophrenia suggest high choline levels in the caudate nucleus. However, assessments of antipsychotic-naive patients are needed...
- Great(er) expectationsJohn Lauriello
Am J Psychiatry 164:377-9. 2007
- Selective cognitive impairments associated with NMDA receptor blockade in humansLaura M Rowland
Maryland Psychiatric Research Center, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21228, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 30:633-9. 2005..Impaired cognition is a core feature of schizophrenia. A better understanding of NMDA antagonism, its physiological and cognitive consequences, may provide improved models of psychosis and cognitive therapeutics...