Affiliation: University of California
- High HIV prevalence among men who have sex with men in Soweto, South Africa: results from the Soweto Men's StudyTim Lane
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California San Francisco, USA
AIDS Behav 15:626-34. 2011..7, 95% CI 0.5-0.8). The results of the Soweto Men's Study confirm that MSM are at high risk for HIV infection, with gay men at highest risk. HIV prevention and treatment for MSM are urgently needed...
- Alcohol and sexual risk behavior among men who have sex with men in South african township communitiesTim Lane
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California, San Francisco, 50 Beale Street, 13th Floor, San Francisco, CA, 94105, USA
AIDS Behav 12:S78-85. 2008..3, 95% CI 0.1, 0.7). Township MSM in South Africa are at high risk of HIV infection. Targeted sexual health and risk reduction interventions that address the link between alcohol use and HIV risk are urgently needed...
- "They see you as a different thing": the experiences of men who have sex with men with healthcare workers in South African township communitiesT Lane
University of California, San Francisco, Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, 50 Beale Street, 13th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Sex Transm Infect 84:430-3. 2008..To describe interactions between men who have sex with men (MSM) and healthcare workers (HCW) in peri-urban township communities in South Africa...
- Community member perspectives from transgender women and men who have sex with men on pre-exposure prophylaxis as an HIV prevention strategy: implications for implementationGabriel R Galindo
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Implement Sci 7:116. 2012..In this study, we examined the acceptability of individual daily use of PrEP and assessed potential barriers to community uptake...
- Understanding and addressing socio-cultural barriers to medical male circumcision in traditionally non-circumcising rural communities in sub-Saharan AfricaGertrude Khumalo-Sakutukwa
a Department of Medicine, AIDS Research Centre, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Cult Health Sex 15:1085-100. 2013..Adult MMC-promotional messages that create a synergy between understandings of both traditional and medical circumcision will be more successful in these communities. ..
- A qualitative study of provider thoughts on implementing pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) in clinical settings to prevent HIV infectionEMILY A ARNOLD
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e40603. 2012..We explored how medical and service providers understand research results and plan to develop clinical protocols to prescribe, support and monitor adherence for patients on PrEP in the United States...
- Project Accept (HPTN 043): a community-based intervention to reduce HIV incidence in populations at risk for HIV in sub-Saharan Africa and ThailandGertrude Khumalo-Sakutukwa
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California, San Francisco, 50 Beale Street, Suite 1300, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 49:422-31. 2008..Changing community norms to increase awareness of HIV status and reduce HIV-related stigma has the potential to reduce the incidence of HIV-1 infection in the developing world...
- A comparative evaluation of the process of developing and implementing an emergency department HIV testing programKaterina A Christopoulos
San Francisco General Hospital HIV AIDS Division, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
Implement Sci 6:30. 2011..We sought to describe the development and implementation of HIV testing programs in three EDs, assess factors shaping the adoption and evolution of specific program elements, and identify barriers and facilitators to testing...
- Heterosexual anal intercourse increases risk of HIV infection among young South African menTim Lane
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
AIDS 20:123-5. 2006..7, 95% CI 1.0-3.0). The associated risk was more pronounced among men aged 15-19 years (OR 4.3, 95% CI 1.5-12.1). The association among women was not significant (OR 1.2, 95% CI 0.7-2.0)...
- Implementing routine HIV testing: the role of state lawLeslie E Wolf
Program in Medical Ethics, Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 2:e1005. 2007..The reasons for the persistence of these legal requirements must be understood to effect policy changes to increase HIV testing...
- Removing barriers to knowing HIV status: same-day mobile HIV testing in ZimbabweStephen F Morin
AIDS Policy Research Center, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 41:218-24. 2006....
- HIV surveillance in theory and practice: assessing the acceptability of California's non-name HIV surveillance regulationsKimberly A Koester
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Health Policy 78:101-10. 2006..Views of health department staff varied across the four counties, with some expressing a strong preference of a names based system and others accepting the non-name system...
- Balancing science and community concerns in resource-limited settings: Project Accept in rural ZimbabweAlfred Chingono
Department of Psychiatry, University of Zimbabwe, School of Medicine, Harare, Zimbabwe
Clin Trials 5:273-6. 2008..Randomizing entire communities to intervention or control status risks creating the perception that control communities are being denied desirable services, ultimately undermining trust in the research process...
- HIV Prevention Among High Risk Men in South AfricaTim Lane; Fiscal Year: 2007..The project will provide preliminary data to be used in the development of an intervention for this community of men in Soweto that can be tested in an RO1-funded proposal. ..
- Health Empowerment for MSM in South AfricaTim Lane; Fiscal Year: 2010....