Kristine Y Lain
Affiliation: University of Kentucky
- Metabolic changes in pregnancyKristine Y Lain
Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Internal Medicine, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536 0293, USA
Clin Obstet Gynecol 50:938-48. 2007..An increase in insulin resistance results in increases in maternal glucose and free fatty acid concentrations, allowing for greater substrate availability for fetal growth...
- Intracellular adhesion molecule concentrations in women who smoke during pregnancyKristine Y Lain
Magee Womens Research Institute and Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Obstet Gynecol 107:588-94. 2006..Our objectives were to determine if smoking has an impact on endothelial function in pregnancy by comparing markers of endothelial function and to evaluate the contribution from different cellular sources...
- Evidence of endothelial dysfunction in preeclampsia and risk of adverse pregnancy outcomeRobert W Powers
Magee Womens Research Institute, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Reprod Sci 15:374-81. 2008..5-13.1) in women with preeclampsia, hyperuricemia, and elevated cFN compared with normotensive women. Elevated cFN is prevalent among women with preeclampsia and identifies women at increased risk of preterm delivery and SGA...
- First trimester adipocytokine concentrations and risk of developing gestational diabetes later in pregnancyKristine Y Lain
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536 0293, USA
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 69:407-11. 2008..Adipocytokines are important regulators of insulin resistance. The aim of this study was to compare maternal adipocytokines in early pregnancy among women diagnosed with and without gestational diabetes (GDM) months later...
- Effect of smoking on uric acid and other metabolic markers throughout normal pregnancyKristine Y Lain
Magee Womens Research Institute and Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:5743-6. 2005..We compared several metabolic markers of the metabolic syndrome in healthy primigravid smokers and nonsmokers over normal pregnancy to explore mechanisms for the reduced risk of preeclampsia in smokers...
- Uric acid is as important as proteinuria in identifying fetal risk in women with gestational hypertensionJames M Roberts
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Magee Womens Research Institute, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Hypertension 46:1263-9. 2005..Hyperuricemia is at least as effective as proteinuria at identifying gestational hypertensive pregnancies at increased risk. Uric acid should be reexamined for clinical and research utility...
- Extreme morbid obesity and labor outcome in nulliparous women at termMatthew J Garabedian
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536, USA
Am J Perinatol 28:729-34. 2011..We speculate a qualitative or quantitative deficiency in the hormonal regulation of labor exists in the morbidly obese parturient. More research is needed to better understand the influence of morbid obesity on labor...
- Preeclampsia activates circulating immune cells with engagement of the NF-kappaB pathwayPatrizia Luppi
Division of Immunogenetics, Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, PA 15213, USA
Am J Reprod Immunol 56:135-44. 2006..Here, we investigated activation in additional leukocyte populations among women with preeclampsia...
- Smoking during pregnancy is associated with alterations in markers of endothelial functionKristine Y Lain
Magee Womens Research Institute and Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 189:1196-201. 2003..Alterations in endothelial function may explain the reduced risk of preeclampsia that is associated with smoking. We hypothesized that markers of endothelial function increase over pregnancy but decrease with smoking...
- Neonatal adiposity following maternal treatment of gestational diabetes with glyburide compared with insulinKristine Y Lain
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, KY 40536 0293, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 200:501.e1-6. 2009..We hypothesized that body composition would be similar among neonates of women with gestational diabetes (GDM) treated with glyburide or insulin...
- Violence against women and postpartum depressionMatthew J Garabedian
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Kentucky, 800 Rose Street, Lexington, KY 40536 0293, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 20:447-53. 2011..We examined the association between these violence exposures and self-reported history of postpartum depression (PPD)...
- Second pregnancy outcomes following preeclampsia in a first pregnancyKristine Y Lain
Magee Womens Research Institute, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Hypertens Pregnancy 24:159-69. 2005..We compared second pregnancy outcomes among women with and without preeclampsia in their first pregnancies who all had second pregnancies without preeclampsia...
- Plasma homocysteine and malondialdehyde are correlated in an age- and gender-specific mannerRobert W Powers
Magee Womens Research Institute and Department of Obstetrics Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Metabolism 51:1433-8. 2002..Since oxidative stress correlates with basal homocysteine only in young men and does not increase with acutely increased homocysteine, it is unlikely to be the result of a direct effect of homocysteine...
- The effects of cigarette smoking on circulating maternal leukocytes during pregnancyPatrizia Luppi
Division of Immunogenetics, Department of Pediatrics, Rangos Research Center, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Clin Immunol 122:214-9. 2007..Our data demonstrate that smoking affects several immune parameters, especially early in pregnancy. These perturbations may play a role in pregnancy loss in women who smoke...