Stephen Y Lai
Affiliation: University of Pittsburgh
- Head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cell lines: established models and rationale for selectionCharles J Lin
Department of Otolaryngology, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Head Neck 29:163-88. 2007..An easily accessible guide that organizes important characteristics of HNSCC cell lines would be valuable for the selection of appropriate HNSCC cell lines for in vitro or in vivo studies...
- Erythropoietin-mediated activation of JAK-STAT signaling contributes to cellular invasion in head and neck squamous cell carcinomaStephen Y Lai
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The Eye and Ear Institute, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Oncogene 24:4442-9. 2005..Increased levels of EPO and EPOR in lymph node metastases as compared to primary tumors from HNSCC patients further support the role of EPO/EPOR in HNSCC disease progression and metastasis...
- Prognostic factors in patients with high-risk locally advanced salivary gland cancers treated with surgery and postoperative radiotherapyTrevor M Feinstein
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Head Neck 33:318-23. 2011..This study was designed to identify the factors associated with the outcome after standard treatment with surgery and postoperative radiotherapy (RT) for locally advanced salivary gland cancers...
- Stereotactic body radiotherapy for recurrent squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck: results of a phase I dose-escalation trialDwight E Heron
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh, PA 15232, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 75:1493-500. 2009..To evaluate the safety and efficacy of stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT) in previously irradiated patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (SCCHN)...
- Induction docetaxel, cisplatin, and cetuximab followed by concurrent radiotherapy, cisplatin, and cetuximab and maintenance cetuximab in patients with locally advanced head and neck cancerAthanassios Argiris
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Cancer Pavilion, 5th Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15232, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:5294-300. 2010..We incorporated cetuximab, a chimeric monoclonal antibody against the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR), into the induction therapy and subsequent chemoradiotherapy of head and neck cancer (HNC)...
- Intratumoral epidermal growth factor receptor antisense DNA therapy in head and neck cancer: first human application and potential antitumor mechanismsStephen Y Lai
Departments of Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:1235-42. 2009..A phase I clinical trial was conducted to evaluate the safety and biologic effects of EGFR AS...
- Management of squamous cell carcinoma of the base of tongue with chemoradiation and brachytherapyElmer R Cano
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Head Neck 31:1431-8. 2009..We report a program consisting of concurrent chemoradiation followed by brachytherapy for these patients...
- Head and neck cancer: an evolving treatment paradigmDavid M Cognetti
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Cancer 113:1911-32. 2008..This review focuses on the evolution of treatment approaches for head and neck cancer and future directions while recognizing the historic contributions recorded within this journal...
- Effectiveness of combined modality radiotherapy of orthotopic human squamous cell carcinomas in Nu/Nu mice using cetuximab, tirapazamine and MnSOD-plasmid liposome gene therapyMichael W Epperly
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, 200 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
In Vivo 24:1-8. 2010..015) compared to irradiation only. The addition of MnSOD-PL, TPZ, and C225 to irradiation optimized the therapeutic ratio for the local control of hypoxic region-containing CAL-33 orthotopic tumors...
- Treatment and survival outcomes based on histologic grading in patients with head and neck mucoepidermoid carcinomaMelonie A Nance
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Cancer 113:2082-9. 2008..The treatment protocol and survival outcomes of patients treated for MEC of the head and neck was investigated...
- Deferring planned neck dissection following chemoradiation for stage IV head and neck cancer: the utility of PET-CTJayakar V Nayak
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Laryngoscope 117:2129-34. 2007..To determine whether combined positron emission tomography and computed tomography (PET-CT) may be of value in deferring planned neck dissections for patients with advanced head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC)...
- Reconstruction of the through-and-through anterior mandibulectomy defect: indications and limitations of the double-skin paddle fibular free flapFrederic W B Deleyiannis
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Laryngoscope 118:1329-34. 2008....
- Minimally invasive video-assisted thyroidectomy: expanded indications and oncologic completenessStephen Y Lai
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Head Neck 30:1403-7. 2008..Minimally invasive video-assisted thyroidectomy (MIVAT) has received increasing attention as a technique applicable for a subset of thyroid nodules...
- Research education and training in otolaryngology: meeting summary and research opportunitiesJennifer R Grandis
Departments of Otolaryngology and Pharmacology, Eye and Ear Institute Building, University of Pittsburgh, 200 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 135:361-7. 2006
- Basal cell adenocarcinoma of a hard palate minor salivary gland: case report and review of the literatureBryan K Ward
Department of Otolaryngology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Head Neck Oncol 1:41. 2009..Basal cell adenocarcinoma of a minor salivary gland is extremely rare. The goal of this report is to increase awareness of this rare disease and to review and discuss the differential diagnosis and important considerations in treatment...
- Radiology quiz case 2. Parapharyngeal second branchial cleft cystSeshu Gadiparthi
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 130:1121, 1124-5. 2004
- Erythropoietin signaling promotes invasiveness of human head and neck squamous cell carcinomaAhmed Mohyeldin
Department of Neurology, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Neoplasia 7:537-43. 2005..This mechanism may also be activated by recombinant Epo therapy and could potentially produce detrimental effects in rhEpo-treated cancer patients...
- Dysregulation of hypoxia inducible factor-1alpha in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cell lines correlates with invasive potentialNoam A Cohen
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Laryngoscope 114:418-23. 2004..The study investigated whether overexpression of HIF-1alpha in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma results from a physiological response to local hypoxia or from oncogenic mutational progression...
- Venous thromboembolism and mortality associated with recombinant erythropoietin and darbepoetin administration for the treatment of cancer-associated anemiaCharles L Bennett
VA Chicago Healthcare System, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, and Robert H Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
JAMA 299:914-24. 2008..Although systematic overviews of trials have identified venous thromboembolism (VTE) risks, none have identified mortality risks with ESAs...
- Understanding the presence and function of erythropoietin receptors on cancer cellsStephen Y Lai
J Clin Oncol 24:4675-6. 2006
- High-risk non-melanoma skin cancer of the head and neckStephen Y Lai
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, USA
Curr Oncol Rep 7:154-8. 2005..A multidisciplinary approach to the assessment and treatment of high-risk NMSC is required to provide comprehensive care. This review also covers recent advances in the understanding of NMSC biology and new approaches in chemoprevention...
- Bilateral squamous cell carcinoma of the external auditory canalsStephen G Wolfe
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Pennsylvania Health System, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Laryngoscope 112:1003-5. 2002..To report a case of bilateral squamous cell carcinoma of the external auditory canals and to present a management algorithm for this difficult clinical scenario...
- Parotidectomy in the treatment of aggressive cutaneous malignanciesStephen Y Lai
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, 5 Silverstein Ravdin, 3400 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:521-6. 2002..Aggressive nonmelanoma skin cancer (ANMSC) of the head and neck may require parotidectomy because of neurotropic spread, direct invasion of the parotid gland, or parotid metastasis...
- Clinical care pathway for head and neck cancer: a valuable tool for decreasing resource utilizationKristin M Gendron
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, 3400 Spruce St, 5 Ravdin, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:258-62. 2002..To evaluate the durability over time of the reduction of resource utilization after implementing a clinical care pathway (CCP) for head and neck cancer surgery...
- Regulation of Invasion and Metastasis by HIF-1 Oral Squamous Cell CarcinomaStephen Lai; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will directly benefit patients with head and neck cancer and may provide valuable insight into the regulation of tumor spread in other types of cancer. ..