R I Kuzniecky
Affiliation: University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Malformations of cortical development and epilepsyR I Kuzniecky
UAB Epilepsy Center, Department of Neurology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Brain Dev 23:2-11. 2001..In this review, the most common malformations or cortical development associated with epilepsy are discussed in regard to their clinical manifestations, classification, imaging appearance and basic neurobiology...
- Magnetic resonance spectroscopic imaging in temporal lobe epilepsy: neuronal dysfunction or cell loss?R Kuzniecky
Department of Neurology, University of Alabama, Birmingham Station, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Arch Neurol 58:2048-53. 2001..However, mounting evidence suggest that the N-acetylated compound decreases may be functional and reversible...
- Temporal lobectomy in congenital porencephaly associated with hippocampal sclerosisJorge G Burneo
Department of Neurology, Epilepsy Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294, USA
Arch Neurol 60:830-4. 2003..Clinical and neuroimaging features of patients with epilepsy and coexisting extratemporal porencephaly and hippocampal sclerosis have been previously described...
- Wisconsin Card Sorting performance in patients with temporal lobe epilepsy: clinical and neuroanatomical correlatesR C Martin
Department of Neurology, Epilepsy Center, School of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294 0021, USA
Epilepsia 41:1626-32. 2000..The present study investigated the contribution of several clinical variables and temporal lobe neuroanatomic features to performance on the Wisconsin Card Sorting Test (WCST) in a series of patients with TLE...
- Investigation of executive function change following anterior temporal lobectomy: selective normalization of verbal fluencyR C Martin
Department of Neurology, Epilepsy Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham 35294 0021, USA
Neuropsychology 14:501-8. 2000..These findings are discussed in terms of recent research demonstrating extrahippocampal metabolic normalization following surgery...
- MRI extrahippocampal volumes and visual memory: correlations independent of MRI hippocampal volumes in temporal lobe epilepsy patientsR C Martin
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Epilepsy Center, Department of Neurology 35294 0021, USA
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 5:540-8. 1999..Results suggest that visual memory, as measured by the Visual Reproduction Test, may be uniquely associated with extrahippocampal volumes in patients with TLE...
- Visual confrontation naming and hippocampal function: A neural network study using quantitative (1)H magnetic resonance spectroscopyS M Sawrie
Epilepsy Center, Department of Neurology, University of Alabama at Birmingham 35294, USA
Brain 123:770-80. 2000..These results provide evidence that the speech-dominant hippocampus is a significant component of the overall neuroanatomical network of visual confrontation naming. Clinical and theoretical implications are explored...
- Chronic temporal lobe epilepsy: spatial extent and degree of metabolic dysfunction studied with magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS)J G Burneo
UAB Epilepsy Center, Department of Neurology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Epilepsy Res 62:119-24. 2004..We analyzed our data in an attempt to find a possible correlation between extension of neuronal dysfunction based on NAA measures and duration of epilepsy...
- Hippocampal 1H-MRSI correlates with severity of depression symptoms in temporal lobe epilepsyF G Gilliam
The Neurological Institute, Department of Neurology, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Neurology 68:364-8. 2007..To investigate the association of an indicator of hippocampal function with severity of depression symptoms in temporal lobe epilepsy...
- Teddy bears: an observational finding in patients with non-epileptic eventsJ G Burneo
Epilepsy Center, Department of Neurology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Neurology 61:714-5. 2003
- Confirmatory factor analysis of the california verbal learning test in patients with epilepsy: relationship to clinical and neuropathological markers of temporal lobe epilepsyJames H Banos
University of Alabama at Birmingham UAB, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Birmingham, AL, USA
Neuropsychology 18:60-8. 2004..Only Verbal Learning was related to hippocampal neuropathology, supporting the distinction between learning and attention in the factor structure...
- Risk to verbal memory following anterior temporal lobectomy in patients with severe left-sided hippocampal sclerosisRoy C Martin
Department of Neurology, UAB Epilepsy Center, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Arch Neurol 59:1895-901. 2002..However, these conclusions have been established primarily with group-level analyses...
- Rey Osterrieth complex figure test spatial and figural scoring: relations to seizure focus and hippocampal pathology in patients with temporal lobe epilepsyRegina McConley
Department of Psychology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 0017, USA
Epilepsy Behav 13:174-7. 2008..This study provides further evidence for the lack of sensitivity of the RCFT as a surrogate measure of right temporal lobe memory function...
- Functional imaging: I. Relative predictive value of intracranial electroencephalographyRobert C Knowlton
Department of Neurology, University of Alabama at Birmingham Epilepsy Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, Birmingham, AL 35294 0001, USA
Ann Neurol 64:25-34. 2008....
- Effects of subdural application of lidocaine in patients with focal epilepsyDeepak Madhavan
New York University Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, 403 East 34th Street, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10016, United States
Epilepsy Res 78:235-9. 2008..The direct cortical application of lidocaine appears to affect local epileptogenic activity in human patients with intractable focal epilepsy...
- Temporal lobe epilepsy does not impair visual perceptionArthur C Grant
Department of Neurology, New York University, New York, New York, USA
Epilepsia 49:710-3. 2008..Furthermore, since TLE subjects performed normally while taking therapeutic doses of multiple AEDs, the data suggest that these AEDs do not impair visual perception...
- Local epileptogenic networks in tuberous sclerosis complex: a case reviewDeepak Madhavan
New York University Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, 403 East 34th Street, Fourth Floor, New York, NY 10016, USA
Epilepsy Behav 11:140-6. 2007..This article describes three patients with TSC who underwent three-stage epilepsy surgery at our center, with the intention of examining local electrophysiological changes after each stage of the procedure...
- Temporal lobe surgery in patients with normal MRIDeepak Madhavan
New York University Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, New York, New York 10016, USA
Curr Opin Neurol 20:203-7. 2007..This review focuses on several methods used to identify this ictal onset zone, with emphasis on the impact each modality has on surgical outcome...
- Verbal memory outcome in patients with normal preoperative verbal memory and left mesial temporal sclerosisAnthony LoGalbo
Department of Neurology, Epilepsy Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Epilepsy Behav 6:337-41. 2005..We investigated the risk of verbal memory loss in patients with known structural abnormality (i.e., left mesial temporal sclerosis by MRI) and normal preoperative verbal memory performance who undergo left ATL...
- Clinical applications of MR spectroscopy in epilepsyRuben Kuzniecky
NYU Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, New York University School of Medicine, 403 East 34th Street, New York, NY 10016, USA
Neuroimaging Clin N Am 14:507-16. 2004....
- Catastrophic focal epilepsyRuben Kuzniecky
NYU Epilepsy Center, NYU School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
Epilepsia 45:2-3. 2004..MRI and SPECT revealed abnormalities in the right frontal lobe. Surgical resection resulted in excellent outcome...
- Self-report of cognitive abilities in temporal lobe epilepsy: cognitive, psychosocial, and emotional factorsJames H Banos
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35249, USA
Epilepsy Behav 5:575-9. 2004..The results suggest caution in using such self-report measures as an ecological extension of objective testing, but suggest a role in assessing self-appraisal of deficits...
- Hypothalamic hamartoma and seizures: a treatable epileptic encephalopathySamuel F Berkovic
Epilepsy Research Institute and Department of Neurology, Austin and Repatriation Medical Centre, Heidelberg Melbourne, Australia
Epilepsia 44:969-73. 2003..The previously dismal outlook for children with severe seizures associated with this lesion has now dramatically changed. These insights may have implications for other epileptic encephalopathies of childhood...
- Functional imaging: II. Prediction of epilepsy surgery outcomeRobert C Knowlton
UAB Epilepsy Center, Department of Neurology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Medicine, Birmingham, AL 35294 0001, USA
Ann Neurol 64:35-41. 2008....