Ann E Kurth
Affiliation: University of Washington
- Access, use and perceptions regarding Internet, cell phones and PDAs as a means for health promotion for people living with HIV in PeruWalter H Curioso
School of Medicine, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 7:24. 2007..The purpose of this paper is to report on perceptions towards use of information and communication technologies as a means to support antiretroviral medication adherence and HIV transmission risk reduction...
- The benefit of health insurance coverage of contraceptives in a population-based sampleAnn Kurth
University of Washington School of Nursing, Biobehavioral Nursing and Health Systems, Seattle, WA 98195 7266, USA
Am J Public Health 94:1330-2. 2004..Most respondents (85%) said that contraceptives should be covered by health insurance plans. The full benefit of contraceptives exceeds their cost...
- A national survey of clinic sexual histories for sexually transmitted infection and HIV screeningAnn E Kurth
Biobehavioral Nursing and Health Systems, University of Washington UW School of Nursing, Seattle, Washington 98195 7266, USA
Sex Transm Dis 32:370-6. 2005..Optimal elements of a sexual history for sexually transmitted infection (STI) and HIV risk assessment remain undefined...
- Association between participant self-report and biological outcomes used to measure sexual risk behavior in human immunodeficiency virus-1-seropositive female sex workers in Mombasa, KenyaR Scott McClelland
Departments of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Sex Transm Dis 38:429-33. 2011..Few studies have examined the association between self-reported sexual risk behaviors and biologic outcomes in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-1-seropositive African adults...
- Improvement of vaginal health for Kenyan women at risk for acquisition of human immunodeficiency virus type 1: results of a randomized trialR Scott McClelland
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
J Infect Dis 197:1361-8. 2008..Vaginal infections are common and have been associated with increased risk for acquisition of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1)...
- Treatment with antiretroviral therapy is not associated with increased sexual risk behavior in Kenyan female sex workersR Scott McClelland
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
AIDS 24:891-7. 2010..The objective of this study was to test the hypothesis that sexual risk behavior would increase following initiation of antiretroviral therapy (ART) in Kenyan female sex workers (FSWs)...
- An integrated approach for antiretroviral adherence and secondary HIV transmission risk-reduction support by nurses in KenyaAnn E Kurth
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 23:146-54. 2012..30-10.50. We found that training nurses in clinical counseling for ART adherence and positive prevention is feasible. Future studies should test impact of nurse counseling on patient outcomes in resource-limited settings...
- Discussion and revision of the mathematical modeling tool described in the previously published article "Modeling HIV Transmission risk among Mozambicans prior to their initiating highly active antiretroviral therapy"Susan Cassels
Center for AIDS Research, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
AIDS Care 21:858-62. 2009....
- Change in sexual activity 12 months after ART initiation among HIV-positive MozambicansCynthia R Pearson
School of Social Work, Indigenous Wellness and Research Institute, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 1525, USA
AIDS Behav 15:778-87. 2011..Ongoing secondary transmission prevention programs addressing sexual activity with multiple partners, disclosure to partners and consistent condom use with serodisconcordant partners must be incorporated throughout HIV care programs...
- Patient and staff perspectives on the use of a computer counseling tool for HIV and sexually transmitted infection risk reductionSara L C Mackenzie
Department of Family Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 4410, USA
J Adolesc Health 40:572.e9-16. 2007..To explore use of an interactive health communication tool--"Computer Assessment and Risk Reduction Education (CARE) for STIs/HIV."..
- A comparison between audio computer-assisted self-interviews and clinician interviews for obtaining the sexual historyAnn E Kurth
Center for AIDS and STD, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 7266, USA
Sex Transm Dis 31:719-26. 2004..The objective of this study was to compare reporting between audio computer-assisted self-interview (ACASI) and clinician-administered sexual histories...
- Effect of an online video-based intervention to increase HIV testing in men who have sex with men in PeruMagaly M Blas
Unit of Epidemiology, HIV and STD, School of Public Health and Administration, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
PLoS ONE 5:e10448. 2010..Although many men who have sex with men (MSM) in Peru are unaware of their HIV status, they are frequent users of the Internet, and can be approached by that medium for promotion of HIV testing...
- Opportunities for providing web-based interventions to prevent sexually transmitted infections in PeruWalter H Curioso
School of Medicine and Health Informatics Unit, School of Public Health and Administration, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
PLoS Med 4:e11. 2007
- Understanding the facilitators and barriers of antiretroviral adherence in Peru: a qualitative studyWalter H Curioso
Epidemiology, STD AIDS Unit, School of Public Health and Administration, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Honorio Delgado 430, Lima 31, Peru
BMC Public Health 10:13. 2010..To date, few studies have explored the barriers and facilitators of adherence to ART in these settings. Facilitators and barriers of antiretroviral adherence in Peru are not completely understood...
- Self-report measures of antiretroviral therapy adherence: A review with recommendations for HIV research and clinical managementJane M Simoni
Department of Psychology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, 98195 1525, Box 351525, USA
AIDS Behav 10:227-45. 2006..We conclude that even brief self-report measures of antiretroviral adherence can be robust, and recommend items and strategies for HIV research and clinical management...
- Improving health literacy: a Web application for evaluating text-to-speech enginesSeth Wolpin
School of Nursing, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Comput Inform Nurs 28:198-204. 2010..Future avenues of research include exploring more complex tasks, usability issues related to implementing text-to-speech features, and applied health promotion and education opportunities among vulnerable populations...
- Why the wait? Delayed HIV diagnosis among men who have sex with menKimberly M Nelson
Department of Psychology, University of Washington, Box 351525, Seattle, WA 98195 1525, USA
J Urban Health 87:642-55. 2010....
- Performance of a new, rapid assay for detection of Trichomonas vaginalisAnn Kurth
University of Washington Center for AIDS and STDs, Box 359931, 325 9th Ave, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:2940-3. 2004..4% [P = 0.04]) but was less specific (98.6% versus 100% [P = 0.001]). The XenoStrip rapid assay is well suited for use in settings with a moderately high prevalence of T. vaginalis infection, particularly when microscopy is not practical...
- Overcoming barriers to HIV testing: preferences for new strategies among clients of a needle exchange, a sexually transmitted disease clinic, and sex venues for men who have sex with menFreya Spielberg
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 32:318-27. 2003..To determine strategies to overcome barriers to HIV testing among persons at risk...
- Designing an HIV counseling and testing program for bathhouses: the Seattle experience with strategies to improve acceptabilityFreya Spielberg
Department of Family Medicine, Center for AIDS and STDs, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
J Homosex 44:203-20. 2003..Use of FDA approved, new rapid tests that do not require venipuncture, centrifugation, or laboratory oversight will further decrease barriers to testing and facilitate implementation of bathhouse testing programs in other communities...
- Importance of sex partner HIV status in HIV risk assessment among men who have sex with menMatthew R Golden
Public Health Seattle and King County, and Division of Infectious Diseases and the Center for AIDS and STD, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 36:734-42. 2004..These risk criteria might be effectively used to triage MSM into more intensive prevention interventions...
- Choosing HIV Counseling and Testing Strategies for Outreach Settings: A Randomized TrialFreya Spielberg
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 38:348-55. 2005..In surveys, clients have expressed preferences for alternatives to traditional HIV counseling and testing. Few data exist to document how offering such alternatives affects acceptance of HIV testing and receipt of test results...
- Concurrent partnerships and HIV prevalence disparities by race: linking science and public health practiceMartina Morris
Departments of Sociology and Statistics, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Am J Public Health 99:1023-31. 2009..Using a data-driven network simulation model, we found that the levels of concurrency and assortative mixing observed produced a 2.6-fold racial disparity in the epidemic potential among young African American adults...
- Assessing antiretroviral adherence via electronic drug monitoring and self-report: an examination of key methodological issuesCynthia R Pearson
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98105 1525, USA
AIDS Behav 11:161-73. 2007..On average across assessment points, fewer than 4% of participants who reported taking a dose of an incorrect amount of medication...
- HIV-1 acquisition and disease progression are associated with decreased high-risk sexual behaviour among Kenyan female sex workersR Scott McClelland
Departments of Medicine, University of Washington, 325 Ninth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
AIDS 20:1969-73. 2006..Changes in sexual risk behaviour may occur following HIV-1 infection...
- Clinical burden of herpes simplex virus disease in people with human immunodeficiency virusTamarind M Keating
School of Nursing, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Sex Transm Dis 39:372-6. 2012..As an ulcerative genital disease, HSV may be important to HIV transmission and HIV-comorbidity. Routine clinical care of HSV in this population has not been described...
- "It's time for your life": How should we remind patients to take medicines using short text messages?Walter H Curioso
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA, and
AMIA Annu Symp Proc 2009:129-33. 2009..This study suggests that patients want healthcare SMS that appropriately notify them, deliver a careful crafted message, and assess the context in which they are received...
- Computer Assisted Rx Education for HIV-Positives: Care+Ann Kurth; Fiscal Year: 2006..Compare outcomes: a) adherence by plasma HIV viral load and b) HIV transmission risk behaviors. Aim 3: Provide data for HIV transmission dynamics impact modeling ..