Affiliation: University of Utah
- Setting high-impact clinical research priorities for the Society for Vascular SurgeryLarry W Kraiss
Research Council, Society for Vascular Surgery, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Vasc Surg 57:493-500. 2013....
- Different mechanisms preserve translation of programmed cell death 8 and JunB in virus-infected endothelial cellsHuimiao Jiang
Division of Vascular Surgery, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 32:997-1004. 2012..However, certain mRNAs are translated by ribosome assembly at internal ribosome entry sites (IRESs). Whether IRES-mediated translation occurs in stressed primary human endothelial cells (ECs) is unknown...
- Increasing use of endovascular therapy in acute arterial injuries: analysis of the National Trauma Data BankBrian C Reuben
George E Whalen Salt Lake City VA Health Care System, University of Utah School of Medicine, Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
J Vasc Surg 46:1222-1226. 2007..The application of endovascular technology for the emergency treatment of traumatic vascular injuries is a new frontier. This study examines recent nationwide use of endovascular therapy in acute arterial traumatic injuries...
- Translational control in endothelial cellsPeter B Brant-Zawadzki
Division of Vascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
J Vasc Surg 45:A8-14. 2007..We discuss some of the fundamental concepts of translational control, tools for studying it and its relevance to vascular cells, in particular the endothelium...
- Deep leg vein reconstruction for an isolated mycotic common iliac artery aneurysm in an HIV-positive patientPeter Brant-Zawadzki
Department of General Surgery, University of Utah, Salth Lake City, UT 84132 2301, USA
Vascular 15:98-101. 2007..This technique obviates the need for extra-anatomic bypass or other forms of reconstruction using prosthetic material...
- mTOR-dependent synthesis of Bcl-3 controls the retraction of fibrin clots by activated human plateletsAndrew S Weyrich
Department of Internal Medicine, Eccles Institute of Human Genetics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Blood 109:1975-83. 2007....
- Common femoral artery injury secondary to bicycle handlebar traumaMark R Sarfati
Division of Vascular Surgery, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, USA
J Vasc Surg 35:589-91. 2002..The lack of familiarity with this uncommon mode of injury may contribute to delayed diagnosis and increased morbidity. We therefore wish to draw attention to this mechanism of injury...
- New roles for an old drug: inhibition of gene expression by dipyridamole in platelet-leukocyte aggregatesAndrew S Weyrich
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Trends Cardiovasc Med 16:75-80. 2006..Recent evidence indicates that dipyridamole, an old drug with a diverse history, differentially inhibits gene expression in platelet-leukocyte aggregates by exerting its effect at distinct molecular checkpoints...
- Aortoiliac reconstruction in infants and toddlers: replacement with decellularized branched pulmonary artery allograftRebecka L Meyers
Pediatric Surgery, Primary Children s Medical Center, Salt Lake City, UT 84113, USA
J Pediatr Surg 41:226-9. 2006..Available autogenous vessels have a limited length and diameter. Conventional allografts have not been durable. When the entire infrarenal aorta and aortoiliac bifurcation must be replaced, none of the historic options are optimal...
- Escaping the nuclear confines: signal-dependent pre-mRNA splicing in anucleate plateletsMelvin M Denis
Eccles Institute of Human Genetics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
Cell 122:379-91. 2005..While this mechanism may be unique to platelets, it also suggests previously unrecognized diversity regarding the functional roles of the spliceosome in eukaryotic cells...
- Severe coagulopathy following intraoperative use of topical thrombinMark R Sarfati
Division of Vascular Surgery, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, UT 84103, USA
Ann Vasc Surg 18:349-51. 2004..The resulting antibody-mediated depletion of factor V caused a severe and refractory coagulopathy. Vascular surgeons should be aware that the use of topical bovine thrombin can cause severe coagulopathy...
- Outside-in signals delivered by matrix metalloproteinase-1 regulate platelet functionSpencer W Galt
Departments of Vascular Surgery, Internal Medicine, Program in Human Molecular Genetics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, USA
Circ Res 90:1093-9. 2002..The finding that MMP-1 is rapidly activated in platelets and controls functional responses identifies a new role for this metalloproteinase as a signaling molecule that regulates thrombotic events...
- Change in protein phenotype without a nucleus: translational control in plateletsAndrew S Weyrich
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
Semin Thromb Hemost 30:491-8. 2004..We highlight the molecular machinery and pathways used by platelets to translate mRNA into protein and offer insight into how these synthesized products may regulate thrombotic and inflammatory events...
- Has the changing nature of vascular surgery adversely affected scholarly activitySpencer W Galt
Division of Vascular Surgery, University of Utah Medical Center, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
J Vasc Surg 38:1-6. 2003..The main outcome measures were the proportion of members who published in each era and the rates of publication among authors...
- Radical resection of a malignant mesenchymoma with hypogastric artery transpositionAndrew C Bourne
Department of Surgery, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
J Surg Oncol 80:214-7. 2002
- Fluid flow regulates E-selectin protein levels in human endothelial cells by inhibiting translationLarry W Kraiss
Division of Vascular Surgery, Eccles Institute of Human Genetics, University of Utah, 15 North 2030 East, Salt Lake City UT, 84112 5330, USA
J Vasc Surg 37:161-8. 2003..The purpose of this study was to determine the mechanism with which fluid flow inhibits endothelial E-selectin expression...
- Basic research by vascular surgeons: why it is important and how to keep it goingPeter K Henke
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
J Vasc Surg 47:882-5. 2008
- Reviving the vascular surgeon-scientist: an interim assessment of the jointly sponsored Lifeline Foundation/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute William J. von Liebig Mentored Clinical Scientist Development (K08) ProgramRobert W Thompson
Department of Surgery Section of Vascular Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Vasc Surg 45:A2-7. 2007..The von Liebig K08 program has therefore been an effective vehicle to stimulate research career development in the field of vascular surgery...
- A ruptured pancreaticoduodenal artery aneurysm repaired by combined endovascular and open techniquesWang Teng
Division of Vascular Surgery, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Ann Vasc Surg 20:792-5. 2006..Prompt invasive and noninvasive diagnostic studies aid in the definitive management of this often fatal problem. Combined endovascular and open techniques can be used for successful treatment...
- Signal-dependent splicing of tissue factor pre-mRNA modulates the thrombogenicity of human plateletsHansjorg Schwertz
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
J Exp Med 203:2433-40. 2006..We propose that platelet-derived TF contributes to the propagation and stabilization of a thrombus...
- Meeting AHA/ACC secondary prevention goals in a vascular surgery practice: an opportunity we cannot afford to missDaniel Kinikini
Division of Vascular Surgery, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City 84132 2301, USA
J Vasc Surg 43:781-7. 2006..We assessed compliance with the Guideline in a group of patients seen in a vascular surgery practice...
- CONTROL OF ENDOTHELIAL TRANSLATION BY FLUID SHEAR STRESSLarry Kraiss; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Translational Control of Rapid Endothelial ResponsesLarry Kraiss; Fiscal Year: 2008..3. Determine the site of translation initiation in mRNAs encoding EC gene products under translational control. 4. Determine the role of p38 MAPK signaling in regulating translational events in activated EC. ..