Genomes and Genes
Laura L Koth
Affiliation: University of California
- Interferon-inducible chemokines reflect severity and progression in sarcoidosisRobert Su
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, Sleep and Allergy, University of California San Francisco, 505 Parnassus Avenue, Box 0111, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Respir Res 14:121. 2013..The objective of this study was to determine whether proteins encoded by these transcripts were elevated in serum and identified patients with remitting vs. chronic progressive sarcoidosis longitudinally...
- Sarcoidosis blood transcriptome reflects lung inflammation and overlaps with tuberculosisLaura L Koth
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 184:1153-63. 2011..Sarcoidosis is a granulomatous disease of unknown etiology, although M. tuberculosis may play a role in the pathogenesis. The traditional view holds that inflammation in sarcoidosis is compartmentalized to involved organs...
- DAP12 is required for macrophage recruitment to the lung in response to cigarette smoke and chemotaxis toward CCL2Laura L Koth
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Lung Biology Center, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Immunol 184:6522-8. 2010..These findings indicate that DAP12, possibly through association with TREM2, contributes to alveolar macrophage chemotaxis and recruitment to the lung and may mediate macrophage accumulation in lung diseases such as emphysema...
- A distinctive alveolar macrophage activation state induced by cigarette smokingPrescott G Woodruff
UCSF Mission Bay Rock Hall, Room 545, 1550 4th Street, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 172:1383-92. 2005..Macrophages are believed to play a central role in emphysema based largely on data from mouse models. However, the relevance of these models to smoking-related lung disease in humans is uncertain...
- Integrin beta6 mediates phospholipid and collectin homeostasis by activation of latent TGF-beta1Laura L Koth
Lung Biology Center, Department of Medicine, San Francisco General Hospital, California, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 37:651-9. 2007..These findings show that alphavbeta6 and TGF-beta1 regulate homeostasis of phospholipids and collectins in adult mouse lungs and may have implications for anti-fibrotic therapeutics that inhibit active TGF-beta in the lung...
- Alveolar macrophage recruitment and activation by chronic second hand smoke exposure in micePrescott G Woodruff
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Dept of Medicine and Cardiovascular Research Institute, UCSF, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
COPD 6:86-94. 2009..These findings indicate that second smoke exposure can cause macrophage recruitment and activation, providing a biological link between second-hand smoke exposure and the development of inflammatory processes linked to COPD...
- T-helper type 2-driven inflammation defines major subphenotypes of asthmaPrescott G Woodruff
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0111, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 180:388-95. 2009..However, clinical studies increasingly suggest that asthma is heterogeneous...
- Longitudinal analysis of sarcoidosis blood transcriptomic signatures and disease outcomesRobert Su
Division of Rheumatology, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Eur Respir J 44:985-93. 2014..These findings demonstrate blood transcriptomic signatures reflecting TCR signalling and CXCL9 predict sarcoidosis chronicity and correlate with disease severity longitudinally. ..
- Invariant natural killer T (iNKT) cell exhaustion in sarcoidosisJennifer E Snyder-Cappione
Division of Experimental Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Eur J Immunol 43:2194-205. 2013..Programmed death-1 receptor antagonists may therefore be attractive therapeutic candidates for sarcoidosis and other iNKT-cell-mediated chronic diseases. ..
- Aspergillus antigen induces robust Th2 cytokine production, inflammation, airway hyperreactivity and fibrosis in the absence of MCP-1 or CCR2Laura L Koth
Lung Biology Center, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Respir Res 5:12. 2004..Furthermore, MCP-1-deficient mice have not previously been studied in models of experimental allergic asthma...
- Direct effects of interleukin-13 on epithelial cells cause airway hyperreactivity and mucus overproduction in asthmaDouglas A Kuperman
Lung Biology Center, Department of Medicine and Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California San Francisco School of Medicine, San Francisco, California, USA
Nat Med 8:885-9. 2002..These results demonstrate the importance of direct effects of IL-13 on epithelial cells in causing two central features of asthma...
- Hard metal interstitial lung disease: high-resolution computed tomography appearanceMichael B Gotway
Thoracic Imaging Section, Department of Radiology, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Thorac Imaging 17:314-8. 2002..This appearance, along with a consistent occupational exposure, should specifically suggest the diagnosis of HM-ILD...
- Undifferentiated connective tissue disease-associated interstitial lung disease: changes in lung functionBrent W Kinder
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 231 Albert Sabin Way, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0564, USA
Lung 188:143-9. 2010..These findings demonstrate the clinical importance of identifying UCTD in patients presenting with an "idiopathic" interstitial pneumonia...
- A comprehensive ex vivo functional analysis of human NKT cells reveals production of MIP1-α and MIP1-β, a lack of IL-17, and a Th1-bias in malesJennifer E Snyder-Cappione
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e15412. 2010..In addition, the panoply of Th2 and Th17 cytokine secretion by NKT cells from healthy donors may not be as pronounced as previously believed. NKT cells may therefore contribute to the gender bias found in many diseases...
- Spotted long oligonucleotide arrays for human gene expression analysisAndrea Barczak
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Genome Res 13:1775-85. 2003..The approach described here involves far more gene expression measurements and provides a useful method for comparing existing and emerging techniques for genome-scale expression analysis...
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis reaction to Mycobacterium avium in household waterTheodore K Marras
Division of Respirology, Toronto Western Hospital, Edith Cavell 4 022, 399 Bathurst St, Toronto, ON, Canada M5T 2S8
Chest 127:664-71. 2005..Hypersensitivity pneumonitis has been described with exposure to aerosolized Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC) in indoor hot tubs (hot tub lung)...