Mary P Koss
Affiliation: University of Arizona
- Empirically enhanced reflections on 20 years of rape researchMary P Koss
Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health, University of Arizona, USA
J Interpers Violence 20:100-7. 2005....
- Restoring rape survivors: justice, advocacy, and a call to actionMary P Koss
University of Arizona, 1632 E Lester Street, Tucson, Arizona 85719, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1087:206-34. 2006..Conventional and restorative justice are often viewed as mutually exclusive whereas the author argues they are complementary...
- National and global agendas on violence against women: historical perspective and consensusMary P Koss
Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health, University of Arizona, Tucson, 85724, USA
Am J Orthopsychiatry 78:386-93. 2008....
- Restorative justice for sexual violence: repairing victims, building community, and holding offenders accountableMary P Koss
University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85719, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 989:384-96; discussion 441-5. 2003....
- Adverse childhood exposures and alcohol dependence among seven Native American tribesMary P Koss
Division of Health Promotion Sciences, Mel and Enid Zuckerman Arizona College of Public Health, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Am J Prev Med 25:238-44. 2003....
- Risk factors for physical assault and rape among six Native American tribesNicole P Yuan
College of Public Health, University of Arizona, 1295 N Martin Avenue, P O Box 245209, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
J Interpers Violence 21:1566-90. 2006..Implications for tribe-specific interventions are discussed...
- "Alcohol is something that been with us like a common cold": community perceptions of American Indian drinkingNicole P Yuan
Health Promotion Sciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
Subst Use Misuse 45:1909-29. 2010..Implications, limitations, and future research directions are discussed. The study was funded by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism...
- Expanding a community's justice response to sex crimes through advocacy, prosecutorial, and public health collaboration: introducing the RESTORE programMary P Koss
University of Arizona, AZ, USA
J Interpers Violence 19:1435-63. 2004..Then the RESTORE program processes and goals are described. The article highlights community collaboration in building and sustaining this program...
- Taking humor seriously: talking about drinking in Native American focus groupsKeith V Bletzer
School of Human Evolution and Social Change, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona, USA
Med Anthropol 30:295-318. 2011....
- Cognitive mediation of rape's mental, physical, and social health impact: tests of four models in cross-sectional dataMary P Koss
J Consult Clin Psychol 70:926-41. 2002..The model accounted for 56% of the variance in general distress, including 91% of psychological symptom severity; 54% of PTSD symptoms; 65% of social maladjustment; and 17% of physical symptoms. Longitudinal replication is planned...
- From parallel to intersecting narratives in cases of sexual assaultKeith V Bletzer
Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona 85287, USA
Qual Health Res 22:291-303. 2012..Those accused of felony rape and those targeting a visible person in cases of misdemeanor indecent exposure expressed greater regret and remorse than offenders of indecent exposure with an indeterminate victim...
- Change in cognitive mediators of rape's impact on psychosocial health across 2 years of recoveryMary P Koss
Mel and Enid Zuckerman Arizona College of Public Health, University of Arizona, 1632 East Lester, Tucson, AZ 85719, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 72:1063-72. 2004..These effects on distress were wholly mediated through self-blame's association with alterations in beliefs about self and others...
- Perpetration of partner violence and HIV risk behaviour among young men in the rural Eastern Cape, South AfricaKristin L Dunkle
Behavioral Sciences and Health Education, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
AIDS 20:2107-14. 2006..To examine associations between the perpetration of intimate partner violence and HIV risk behaviour among young men in rural South Africa...
- Incorporating feminist theory and insights into a restorative justice response to sex offensesC Quince Hopkins
Washington and Lee University School of Law, USA
Violence Against Women 11:693-723. 2005..We conclude that most if not all of these concerns apply to cases of on going domestic violence--cases specifically excluded from the RESTORE program--rather than to cases of acquaintance sexual assault or nonpenetration sex offenses...
- Narrative constructions of sexual violence as told by female rape survivors in three populations of the southwestern United States: scripts of coercion, scripts of consentKeith V Bletzer
Department of Anthropology, Arizona State University, Tempe 85287 2402, USA
Med Anthropol 23:113-56. 2004....
- Correlates of rape while intoxicated in a national sample of college womenMeichun Mohler-Kuo
Department of Society, Human Development and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Stud Alcohol 65:37-45. 2004..The purpose of the present study was to present prevalence data for rape under the condition of intoxication when the victim is unable to consent and to identify college and individual-level risk factors associated with that condition...
- After-rape among three populations in the Southwest: a time of mourning, a time for recoveryKeith V Bletzer
Arizona State University, AZ, USA
Violence Against Women 12:5-29. 2006..These variations, and more established commonalities, provide baseline material for strengthening primary and secondary interventions for women who have experienced sexual violence...
- Rape perpetration by young, rural South African men: Prevalence, patterns and risk factorsRachel Jewkes
Gender and Health Research Unit, Medical Research Council, Medical Research Council Private Bag X385, Pretoria 0001, South Africa
Soc Sci Med 63:2949-61. 2006..There was considerable overlap between rape-associated factors and known HIV risk factors, suggesting a need for further research on the interface of rape and HIV, and integrated prevention programming...
- Transactional sex with casual and main partners among young South African men in the rural Eastern Cape: prevalence, predictors, and associations with gender-based violenceKristin L Dunkle
Emory University Atlanta, GA, USA
Soc Sci Med 65:1235-48. 2007..HIV prevention interventions need to explicitly address transactional sex in the context of ideas about masculinity, which place a high emphasis on heterosexual success with, and control of, women...
- Nightmare frequency in sexual assault survivors with PTSDBarry Krakow
Sleep and Human Health Institute, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, 4775 Indian School Road NE, Suite 305, Albuquerque, NM 87110, USA
J Anxiety Disord 16:175-90. 2002..Nightmare frequency, prevalence, distress and impairment are discussed...