Affiliation: University of California
- Public health nursing care for adolescent mothers: impact on infant health and selected maternal outcomes at 1 year postbirthDeborah Koniak-Griffin
UCLA School of Nursing, Box 956919, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6919, USA
J Adolesc Health 30:44-54. 2002....
- Predictors of sexual risk behaviors among adolescent mothers in a human immunodeficiency virus prevention programDeborah Koniak-Griffin
School of Nursing, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095 6919, USA
J Adolesc Health 38:297.e1-11. 2006....
- Contemporary mothering in a diverse societyDeborah Koniak-Griffin
Audrienne H Moseley Endowed Chair in Women s Health Research in the School of Nursing at the University of California at Los Angeles, USA
J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 35:671-8. 2006..Guidelines for nursing interventions that allow for individual and cultural differences are provided...
- HIV prevention for Latino adolescent mothers and their partnersDeborah Koniak-Griffin
University of California Los Angeles, CA, USA
West J Nurs Res 30:724-42. 2008..01) and lower probability of unsafe sex (p < .05) at baseline and over time, compared with their male partners. The intervention is well accepted by the inner-city adolescents and is realistic for implementation in a community setting...
- Young parents' relationship characteristics, shared sexual behaviors, perception of partner risks, and dyadic influencesDeborah Koniak-Griffin
School of Nursing, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6919, USA
J Sex Res 46:483-93. 2009..Length of the relationship did not influence concordance. Findings support the need for HIV prevention programs to promote open discussion about condom use and HIV testing within sexual partnerships...
- Breaking the silence: what homeless 18- to 24-year-olds say about HIV vaccine trialsDeborah Koniak-Griffin
Women s Health Research at University of California, Los Angeles School of Nursing, 10833 LeConte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6919, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 18:687-98. 2007..Understanding the personal perspectives of high-risk young adults will enable researchers to tailor protocols to their individual needs and cultural values and, in so doing, potentially enhance willingness to participate in HIVVTs...
- Nurse visitation for adolescent mothers: two-year infant health and maternal outcomesDeborah Koniak-Griffin
Center for Vulnerable Populations Research, UCLA School of Nursing, Los Angeles, California, 90095, USA
Nurs Res 52:127-36. 2003..Children of adolescent mothers have higher rates of morbidity and unintentional injuries and hospitalizations during the first 5 years of life than do children of adult mothers...
- Couple-focused human immunodeficiency virus prevention for young Latino parents: randomized clinical trial of efficacy and sustainabilityDeborah Koniak-Griffin
School of Nursing, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 165:306-12. 2011..To evaluate the efficacy and sustainability of a couple-focused human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) prevention intervention in reducing unprotected sex and increasing intent to use condoms and knowledge about AIDS...
- Use of community-based participatory research in preparing low income and homeless minority populations for future HIV vaccinesAdeline Nyamathi
UCLA School of Nursing, CA, USA
J Interprof Care 18:369-80. 2004..Moreover, the importance of ongoing education and counseling to warn about hazards of engaging in risky behavior while participating in a future HIVVT was critical...
- Parental protectiveness and unprotected sexual activity among Latino adolescent mothers and fathersJanna Lesser
University of Texas Health Science Center, School of Nursing, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 21:88-102. 2009..The unique features of our database allow for examination of both individual and couple outcomes...
- Project CHARM: an HIV prevention program for adolescent mothersDeborah Koniak-Griffin
The School of Nursing, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Fam Community Health 26:94-107. 2003..Findings related to the effects of the intervention on theoretical variables provide some support for selected concepts from Social Cognitive Theory and the Theory of Reasoned Action...
- Latent growth trajectories of substance use among pregnant and parenting adolescentsGwendolyn V Spears
UCLA School of Nursing, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6919, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 24:322-32. 2010..Findings may assist prenatal care providers to identify and counsel pregnant adolescents at risk for perinatal substance use and to prevent resumption or initiation of substance use after childbirth...
- Health disparities among vulnerable populations: evolution of knowledge over five decades in Nursing Research publicationsJacquelyn H Flaskerud
UCLA School of Nursing, Los Angele, CA 90095 1702, USA
Nurs Res 51:74-85. 2002..Nursing research has a major role to play in developing this body of knowledge...
- Health-seeking challenges among homeless youthAngela L Hudson
School of Nursing, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Nurs Res 59:212-8. 2010..Approximately 1.5 to 2 million homeless young persons live on the streets in the United States. With the current economic situation, research is needed on quality of services geared toward homeless young adults...
- Relationship, power, and other influences on self-protective sexual behaviors of African American female adolescentsAnita R Bralock
Azusa Pacific University, School of Nursing, Azusa, California, USA
Health Care Women Int 28:247-67. 2007..Behavioral intentions, in particular, were found to be a strong predictor of condom use among African American youth...
- Lifestyle behavior interventions with Hispanic children and adultsAntonia M Villarruel
University of Michigan, School of Nursing, Ann Arbor, USA
Annu Rev Nurs Res 25:51-81. 2007..The purpose of this chapter is to analyze and critique behavioral lifestyle interventions conducted with adolescent and adult Hispanics. Specific recommendations for continued research and policy are provided...
- Teen pregnancy, motherhood, and unprotected sexual activityDeborah Koniak-Griffin
UCLA School of Nursing, Box 956919, Los Angeles, CA 90095-6919, USA
Res Nurs Health 26:4-19. 2003..Findings support the urgent need for broad-based HIV prevention efforts for adolescent mothers that build on theoretical concepts and address the realities of their lives...
- What do sexually active adolescent females say about relationship issues?Anita Bralock
Azusa Pacific University, School of Nursing, Azusa, CA 91702 7000, USA
J Pediatr Nurs 24:131-40. 2009..Findings support the urgent need for interventions that will promote skill-building techniques to negotiate safer sex behaviors among youth who are most likely to be exposed to STIs through risky behaviors...
- Social support in postpartum adolescents: guidelines for nursing assessments and interventionsM Cynthia Logsdon
School of Nursing, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 34:761-8. 2005..Health professionals should use clinical pathways to guide assessments and professional support interventions with postpartum adolescents...
- Development of nursing theory and science in vulnerable populations researchAdeline Nyamathi
University of California, Los Angeles School of Nursing, USA
Annu Rev Nurs Res 25:3-25. 2007....
- Using qualitative inquiry and participatory research approaches to develop prevention research: validating a life course perspectiveJanna Lesser
Center for Community Based Health Promotion with Women and Children, Department of Family and Community Health Systems, UT Health Science Center at San Antonio School of Nursing, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Fam Community Health 36:34-41. 2013..Though early adverse life experiences impact health over the lifespan, strength-based HIV prevention programs designed for Latino teen parents that recognize the reality of their lives may alter their health trajectory...
- Clinical profile of the adolescent/adult Fontan survivorNancy A Pike
School of Nursing, University of California, CA, USA
Congenit Heart Dis 6:9-17. 2011..The study aims to describe the clinical profile of the adult Fontan survivor and identify the worries, symptoms, and the impact of cardiac surveillance most commonly experienced...
- Vulnerable adolescent mothers' perceptions of maternal role and HIV riskJanna Lesser
Florida State University School of Nursing, Tallahassee, Florida 32306 4310, USA
Health Care Women Int 24:513-28. 2003..Yet efforts to decrease risky sexual behavior were overshadowed by more immediate concerns and by relationship issues of gender and power and of trust...
- Using community-partnered participatory research to address health disparities in a Latino communitySue Kim
College of Nursing, Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea
J Prof Nurs 21:199-209. 2005..Strategies for successful research using community partners are presented and implications discussed for future research efforts using community-partnered participatory methods for reducing health disparities...
- Respecting and protecting our relationships: a community research HIV prevention program for teen fathers and mothersJanna Lesser
Department of Family Nursing Care, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 76229, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 17:347-60. 2005....
- Childhood abuse history and risk behaviors among teen parents in a culturally rooted, couple-focused HIV prevention programJanna Lesser
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 18:18-27. 2007....
- The impact of lay health advisors on cardiovascular health promotion: using a community-based participatory approachSue Kim
College of Nursing, Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea
J Cardiovasc Nurs 19:192-9. 2004..Qualitative findings are also presented. Findings support utilizing LHAs as a feasible and effective healthcare delivery strategy for cardiovascular community health promotion, especially among immigrant populations...
- PREVENTING HIV/AIDS IN TEEN MOTHERS AND THEIR PARTNERSDeborah Koniak Griffin; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Community-Based Lifestyle Promotion With Latino WomenDeborah Koniak Griffin; Fiscal Year: 2010..Understanding also will be enhanced about the influence of interpersonal and environmental factors on adoption of healthy lifestyle behaviors of Latinas. ..