Leslie M Klevay
Affiliation: University of North Dakota
- How dietary deficiency, genes and a toxin can cooperate to produce arteriosclerosis and ischemic heart diseaseL M Klevay
Department of Internal Medicine, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND 58201, USA
Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand) 52:11-5. 2006..Some genes affecting paraoxonase activity may respond to dietary copper. The copper deficiency theory of ischemic heart disease and the homocysteine theory of arteriosclerosis are inextricably entwined...
- Copper deficiency, lead, and paraoxonaseLeslie M Klevay
Environ Health Perspect 115:A341-2; author reply A342. 2007
- Alzheimer's disease as copper deficiencyLeslie M Klevay
Departments of Internal Medicine and of Pharmacology, Physiology and Therapeutics, Grand Forks, ND 58201, United States
Med Hypotheses 70:802-7. 2008..Copper deficiency is a plausible cause of Alzheimer's disease. This hypothesis should be tested with a lengthy trial of copper supplementation...
- Ischemic heart disease as deficiency diseaseL M Klevay
Department of Internal Medicine, University of North Dakota, So Grand Forks, ND 58201, USA
Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand) 50:877-84. 2004..These supplements include betaine, copper, folate, pyridoxine and vitamin B-12. Opportunities for research on ischemic heart disease as deficiency disease are plentiful...
- Medical examination in nutrition surveysLeslie M Klevay
USDA, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Grand Forks, ND 58203, USA
J Nutr 135:1266-7. 2005..The author uses his experience in Panama to illustrate how attention to the details of a medical examination can improve accuracy and sensitivity of a nutrition survey...
- Zinc absorption adapts to zinc supplementation in postmenopausal womenJeannemarie M Beiseigel
US Department of Agriculture, ARS, GFHNRC, University of North Dakota, PO Box 9034, Grand Forks, ND 58202 9034, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 28:177-83. 2009..To determine if human Zn absorption adapts to chronic high Zn intakes...
- Is the Western diet adequate in copper?Leslie M Klevay
Department of Internal Medicine, University of North Dakota, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks, ND 58201, United States
J Trace Elem Med Biol 25:204-12. 2011..Alzheimer's disease, ischemic heart disease and osteoporosis are the most likely human illnesses from low copper intakes...
- Homocysteine is not so paradoxicalLeslie M Klevay
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 28:e160; author reply e161. 2008
- Dietary magnesium deficiency induces heart rhythm changes, impairs glucose tolerance, and decreases serum cholesterol in post menopausal womenForrest H Nielsen
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Grand Forks, ND 58202 9034, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 26:121-32. 2007..To determine whether or not dietary magnesium restriction to about 33% of the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) causes changes in glucose, cholesterol and electrolyte metabolism that could lead to pathologic consequences...
- Meat diets and fragile bones: inferences about osteoporosisLeslie M Klevay
USDA, ARS, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, ND 58202 9034, USA
J Trace Elem Med Biol 16:149-54. 2002..Because copper deficiency produces osteoporosis in animals and people and because the Western diet often is low in copper, further tests of the hypothesis that diets low in copper contribute to osteoporosis are warranted...
- Iron overload can induce mild copper deficiencyL M Klevay
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, North Dakota 58202, USA
J Trace Elem Med Biol 14:237-40. 2001..were found. High iron increased the dietary copper requirement of the animals. People with iron overload may benefit from copper supplementation, particularly if they habitually consume a diet low in copper...
- Extra dietary copper inhibits LDL oxidationLeslie M Klevay
Am J Clin Nutr 76:687-8; author reply 688. 2002
- Copper deficiency from diet and a geneLeslie M Klevay
Leuk Lymphoma 49:1014-5. 2008
- Heart failure improvement from a supplement containing copperLeslie M Klevay
Eur Heart J 27:117; author reply 117-8. 2006
- Copper deficiency and dietLeslie M Klevay
Am J Hematol 82:684. 2007
- Hair as a biopsy material: trace element data on one man over two decadesL M Klevay
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, ND 58202 9034, USA
Eur J Clin Nutr 58:1359-64. 2004..Hair mineral analyses are being performed frequently both with and without medical advice. Reasons for analysis often are ill defined...
- Copper deficiency in Canadian octogenarians?Leslie M Klevay
Rejuvenation Res 11:697-8; author reply 699-700. 2008
- Endothelial dysfunction, isoprostanes, and copper deficiencyLeslie M Klevay
Hypertension 52:e27; author reply e28. 2008
- "Myelodysplasia," myeloneuropathy, and copper deficiencyLeslie M Klevay
Mayo Clin Proc 81:132; author reply 132. 2006
- Copper in legumes may lower heart disease riskLeslie M Klevay
Arch Intern Med 162:1780; author reply 1780-1. 2002