B D Kirkpatrick
Affiliation: University of Vermont
- Real-time PCR detection and speciation of Cryptosporidium infection using Scorpion probesSuzanne E Stroup
Division of Infectious Diseases and International Health, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA, and Department of Gastrointestinal Sciences and Haematology, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore, India
J Med Microbiol 55:1217-22. 2006..These Scorpion probe qPCR assays are simpler to perform than existing nested PCR and RFLP methods for diagnosis and epidemiological investigation of cryptosporidiosis...
- Update on human Campylobacter jejuni infectionsBeth D Kirkpatrick
Infectious Disease Unit and Vaccine Testing Center, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, Vermont, USA
Curr Opin Gastroenterol 27:1-7. 2011..The present review will update the reader to the clinical, epidemiological and immunologic advances in the field of human campylobacteriosis...
- Recrudescent Campylobacter jejuni infection in an immunocompetent adult following experimental infection with a well-characterized organismShahida Baqar
University of Vermont College of Medicine, Unit of Infectious Diseases and Vaccine Testing Center, 110 Stafford Hall, 95 Carrigan Drive, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Clin Vaccine Immunol 17:80-6. 2010..This work adds to our understanding of the human immune response to natural Campylobacter infection and reiterates the importance of pathogen-specific adaptive immune responses to this globally important pathogen...
- Association between Cryptosporidium infection and human leukocyte antigen class I and class II allelesBeth D Kirkpatrick
University of Vermont College of Medicine, Unit of Infectious Diseases, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
J Infect Dis 197:474-8. 2008..Cryptosporidium species are a common cause of diarrhea, which can be severe and protracted in young children and immunocompromised individuals...
- Childhood cryptosporidiosis is associated with a persistent systemic inflammatory responseB D Kirkpatrick
The University of Vermont College of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Unit of Infectious Diseases, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Clin Infect Dis 43:604-8. 2006..Worsening of malnutrition, particularly stunting, was observed after infection. The association of cryptosporidiosis, inflammation, and stunting in children with cryptosporidiosis warrants further evaluation...
- Serum mannose-binding lectin deficiency is associated with cryptosporidiosis in young Haitian childrenB D Kirkpatrick
Department of Medicine Unit of Infectious Diseases, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, Vermont 05405, USA
Clin Infect Dis 43:289-94. 2006..MBL deficiency may contribute to susceptibility to a variety of infectious diseases, particularly in young children. MBL binds to the Cryptosporidium sporozoite and may be important in resistance to cryptosporidiosis...
- Comparison of the antibodies in lymphocyte supernatant and antibody-secreting cell assays for measuring intestinal mucosal immune response to a novel oral typhoid vaccine (M01ZH09)B D Kirkpatrick
University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT 05405
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 12:1127-9. 2005..The specificity of the ALS assay compared to the ASC assay was excellent (100%), as was sensitivity (82%). The ALS assay was less sensitive than the ASC assay at <or=42 spots/10(6) peripheral blood lymphocytes...
- Evaluation of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi (Ty2 aroC-ssaV-) M01ZH09, with a defined mutation in the Salmonella pathogenicity island 2, as a live, oral typhoid vaccine in human volunteersB D Kirkpatrick
University of Vermont College of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Unit of Infectious Diseases, 95 Carrigan Drive, 110 Stafford Building, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Vaccine 24:116-23. 2006..The SPI-2 mutant vaccine, M01ZH09, is a promising typhoid vaccine candidate and deserves further study as a vectoring system for heterologous vaccine antigens...
- The novel oral typhoid vaccine M01ZH09 is well tolerated and highly immunogenic in 2 vaccine presentationsBeth D Kirkpatrick
Department of Medicine, Unit of Infectious Diseases, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, 05405, USA
J Infect Dis 192:360-6. 2005..We demonstrate that M01ZH09, in a single oral dose, is well tolerated and prompts broad immune responses, regardless of whether prevaccination with a bicarbonate buffer is given...
- Deficient serum mannose-binding lectin levels and MBL2 polymorphisms increase the risk of single and recurrent Cryptosporidium infections in young childrenMarya Carmolli
University of Vermont College of Medicine, Unit of Infectious Diseases, Burlington, VT, USA
J Infect Dis 200:1540-7. 2009..91). We have identified a potentially important component of the human innate immune response to Cryptosporidum infection. Further work is needed to evaluate the mechanism of protection of MBL in Cryptosporidium infection...
- In a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial, the single oral dose typhoid vaccine, M01ZH09, is safe and immunogenic at doses up to 1.7 x 10(10) colony-forming unitsC E Lyon
The University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Vaccine 28:3602-8. 2010..Typhi-specific LPS IgG and 83.3-97.4% IgA; 92.1% had a positive S. Typhi LPS ELISPOT. M01ZH09 is safe and immunogenic up to 1.7 x 10(10)CFU. Efficacy testing of this single-dose oral typhoid vaccine is needed...
- Caught in the act: in vivo development of macrolide resistance to Campylobacter jejuni infectionJ C Lindow
Vaccine Testing Center, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
J Clin Microbiol 48:3012-5. 2010..In vivo development of macrolide resistance may be an important contributor to antibiotic resistance in C. jejuni...
- Intramedullary spinal cord abscess in a healthy womanA Applebee
Burlington, VT 05401, USA
Neurology 68:1230. 2007
- Current immunizations for travelBeth D Kirkpatrick
University of Vermont College of Medicine, MCHV Campus, 303 Burgess Building, 111 Colchester Avenue, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
Curr Opin Infect Dis 16:369-74. 2003..Some of these diseases are preventable, and vaccination remains a cornerstone of travel medicine. Vaccines that are important for international travel are reviewed, in a succinct update based on the most recent literature...
- Cryptosporidiosis stimulates an inflammatory intestinal response in malnourished Haitian childrenBeth D Kirkpatrick
Division of Infectious Diseases, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Infect Dis 186:94-101. 2002..01). A Th1 cytokine response to infection was not detected. This triple cohort study demonstrates that malnourished children with acute cryptosporidiosis mount inflammatory, Th-2, and counterregulatory intestinal immune responses...
- Neisseria meningitidis endotoxin and capsule transmission by transplantationNareg Roubinian
Emerg Infect Dis 11:1326-7. 2005
- Entamoeba histolytica-associated diarrheal illness is negatively associated with the growth of preschool children: evidence from a prospective studyDinesh Mondal
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, G P O Box 128, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 100:1032-8. 2006..01-8.52, P=0.047) more likely to be malnourished and 4.69 times (95% CI 1.55-14.18, P=0.006) more prone to be stunted. Entamoeba histolytica-associated diarrheal illness was negatively associated with the growth of preschool children...
- Epidemiologic and clinical characteristics of acute diarrhea with emphasis on Entamoeba histolytica infections in preschool children in an urban slum of Dhaka, BangladeshRashidul Haque
Centre for Health and Population Research, International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Am J Trop Med Hyg 69:398-405. 2003..Understanding the etiology, frequency, and consequences of acute diarrhea in children from a developing country should aid in the design of interventions to improve child health...
- Gamma-Delta T cells and CryptosporidiosisBeth Kirkpatrick; Fiscal Year: 2007..These data will advance our understanding of the mucosal immune response to cryptosporidiosis, which will lead to further advances in prevention and therapy. ..