Affiliation: University of Illinois at Chicago
- The influence of childhood physical abuse on adult health status in sexual minority women: the mediating role of smokingAlicia K Matthews
Department of Health Systems Sciences, College of Nursing, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Womens Health Issues 23:e95-102. 2013....
- Project Exhale: preliminary evaluation of a tailored smoking cessation treatment for HIV-positive African American smokersAlicia K Matthews
College of Nursing, University of Illinois, 845 South Damen Avenue, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 27:22-32. 2013..Smoking cessation outcomes were on par with other similar programs. A larger trial is needed to address limitations and to confirm benefits...
- Correlates of quality of life among African American and white cancer survivorsAlicia K Matthews
College of Nursing, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60612, USA
Cancer Nurs 35:355-64. 2012..African Americans continue to suffer disproportionately from cancer morbidity and mortality, with emerging evidence suggesting potential quality of life (QOL) disparities in the survivorship period...
- Complementary and alternative medicine use among breast cancer survivorsAlicia K Matthews
College of Nursing, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Altern Complement Med 13:555-62. 2007..Additional objectives were to measure associations between psychosocial and medical factors and CAM use both related and unrelated to a breast cancer diagnosis...
- Demographic, psychosocial, and contextual correlates of tobacco use in sexual minority womenAlicia K Matthews
Howard Brown Health Center, Chicago, IL College of Nursing, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Res Nurs Health 34:141-52. 2011..Awareness of prevention campaigns, recent quit attempts, and intention to quit were high, suggesting opportunities for smoking cessation...
- A qualitative evaluation of a faith-based breast and cervical cancer screening intervention for African American womenAlicia K Matthews
University of Illinois at Chicago, College of Nursing, 845 S Damen Ave, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Health Educ Behav 33:643-63. 2006..Study findings have implications for enhancing faith-based breast and cervical cancer prevention efforts in African American communities...
- Development of a culturally targeted smoking cessation intervention for African American smokersAlicia K Matthews
College of Nursing and Howard Brown Health Center, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Community Health 34:480-92. 2009..Findings suggest that a culturally targeted and intensive group based smoking cessation treatment is plausibly effective in improving smoking cessation outcomes in African American smokers, warranting a larger randomized trial...
- Complementary medicine practices in a community-based sample of lesbian and heterosexual womenAlicia K Matthews
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Health Care Women Int 26:430-47. 2005..Future studies should also examine the relationships between and experiences with discrimination in traditional medical settings and increased use of complementary and alternative medicine...
- Correlates of underutilization of gynecological cancer screening among lesbian and heterosexual womenAlicia K Matthews
Department of Psychiatry, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Prev Med 38:105-13. 2004..Study aims were to examine cervical cancer risk factors, screening patterns, and predictors of screening adherence in demographically similar samples of lesbian (N=550) and heterosexual women (N=279)...
- A pilot community-based intensive smoking cessation intervention in African Americans: feasibility, acceptability and early outcome indicatorsAndrea King
Department of Psychiatry, University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 100:208-17. 2008..05). Larger studies are warranted to examine targeted treatment elements and individual difference factors to enhance cessation outcomes in African-American smokers...
- A qualitative exploration of the experiences of lesbian and heterosexual patients with breast cancerAlicia K Matthews
Department of Psychiatry, University of Chicago, IL, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 29:1455-62. 2002..To explore similarities and differences between lesbian and heterosexual survivors of breast cancer regarding cancer experiences, medical interactions related to cancer treatment, and quality of life (QOL)...
- Stress-induced changes in mood and cortisol release predict mood effects of amphetamineAjna Hamidovic
The University of Chicago, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience, 5841 S Maryland Avenue MC 3077, Chicago, IL 60637, United States
Drug Alcohol Depend 109:175-80. 2010....
- Naltrexone decreases heavy drinking rates in smoking cessation treatment: an exploratory studyAndrea King
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 33:1044-50. 2009..One potential unexplored mechanism underlying naltrexone's effects in smoking cessation may be in its ability to reduce alcohol consumption...
- Sex differences in the relationship between alcohol-associated smoking urge and behavior: a pilot studyAndrea King
Department of Psychiatry, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Am J Addict 17:347-53. 2008..The lack of relationship in women suggests that co-use of these substances may be due to exteroceptive factors beyond the pharmacological effects of alcohol potentiating smoking urge...
- Alcohol-induced increases in smoking behavior for nicotinized and denicotinized cigarettes in men and womenAndrea King
Department of Psychiatry, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 207:107-17. 2009..However, alcohol's effects on specific components of smoking behavior for nicotine versus non-nicotine factors and potential sex differences in this response have not been investigated...
- Neural substrates of alcohol-induced smoking urge in heavy drinking nondaily smokersAndrea King
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 35:692-701. 2010....
- Alternative substance paradigm: effectiveness of beverage blinding and effects on acute alcohol responsesMegan Conrad
Department of Psychology, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1007 W Harrison Street, MC 285, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
Exp Clin Psychopharmacol 20:382-9. 2012....
- Prediction of depressive distress in a community sample of women: the role of sexual orientationAlicia K Matthews
Department of Psychiatry, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Am J Public Health 92:1131-9. 2002..This study compared factors known or hypothesized to influence depressive symptomatology in a community sample of lesbians and heterosexual women...
- Effects of alcohol on psychomotor performance and perceived impairment in heavy binge social drinkersTy Brumback
The University of Chicago, Department of Psychiatry, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 91:10-7. 2007..Further, results may have implications for alcohol-related harm as binge social drinkers regularly consume intoxicating doses of alcohol but may not be aware of the physical and cognitive impairments produced by alcohol...
- Sexual orientation and smoking: results from a multisite women's health studyTonda L Hughes
Department of Public Health, Mental Health and Administrative Nursing, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Ilinois 60612, USA
Subst Use Misuse 43:1218-39. 2008..Racial/ethnic minority lesbians with high school education or less were most likely to report both current and lifetime cigarette smoking. The study's limitations are noted...
- Are racial differences in patient-physician cancer communication and information explained by background, predisposing, and enabling factors?Clara Manfredi
Program for Cancer Control and Population Science, Institute for Health Research and Policy, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Health Commun 15:272-92. 2010..These differences persisted after controlling for all other factors. Future research should focus on the informational disadvantages of African American patients and how such disadvantages may affect cancer treatment decisions...
- Predictors of mental health services use among lesbian and heterosexual womenLisa A Razzano
Center on Mental Health Services Research and Policy, Department of Psychiatry, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60603, USA
Psychiatr Rehabil J 29:289-98. 2006..Suggestions are offered for identifying new factors in mental health service utilization among groups with diverse sexual orientations...
- Factors influencing medical information seeking among African American cancer patientsAlicia K Matthews
Department of Psychiatry, University of Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Health Commun 7:205-19. 2002..Recommendations are made that may assist mental and physical health providers in improving patient information and mental and physical health outcomes of African American cancer patients...
- Efficacy of naltrexone in smoking cessation: a preliminary study and an examination of sex differencesAndrea King
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 8:671-82. 2006..The results suggest continued examination of naltrexone as an adjunct in smoking cessation, particularly in female smokers, who have historically shown worse outcomes with traditional treatment methods...
- Effects of the opioid receptor antagonist naltrexone on smoking and related behaviors in smokers preparing to quit: a randomized controlled trialAndrea King
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Addiction 108:1836-44. 2013..To determine if naltrexone affects smoking behaviors in smokers preparing to quit, and whether or not such pre-quit responses predict post-quit date outcomes...
- Attenuated cortisol response to alcohol in heavy social drinkersAndrea King
University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Int J Psychophysiol 59:203-9. 2006..Further research may help determine whether alteration in cortisol response to alcohol is a biological marker of the propensity to abuse alcohol...
- INFORMATION NEEDS OF AFRICAN AMERICAN CANCER PATIENTSAlicia Matthews; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Culturally Targeted & Individually Tailored Smoking Cessation Study: LGBT SmokersAlicia K Matthews; Fiscal Year: 2010..Findings will contribute to the scientific literature on reducing smoking-related health disparities among underserved populations. ..
- Development of a culturally targeted patient navigation curriculum for LGBT adultAlicia K Matthews; Fiscal Year: 2010....