C L Kien
Affiliation: University of Texas Medical Branch
- Prediction of daily energy expenditure during a feeding trial using measurements of resting energy expenditure, fat-free mass, or Harris-Benedict equationsC Lawrence Kien
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Medical Branch and the Shriners Hospital for Children, Galveston, TX, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 80:876-80. 2004..During feeding trials, it is useful to predict daily energy expenditure (DEE) to estimate energy requirements and to assess subject compliance...
- Quantitation of colonic luminal synthesis of butyric acid in pigletsC Lawrence Kien
Children s Research Institute, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 35:324-8. 2002..The objective of this paper is to describe a newly developed stable isotope method for quantifying butyric acid synthesis in the colonic lumen and to demonstrate its application during cecal infusions of lactose and lactulose in piglets...
- Physical activity in middle school-aged children participating in a school-based recreation programC Lawrence Kien
Children s Research Institute and The Department of Pediatrics, Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 157:811-5. 2003....
- Moderate disaccharide malabsorption does not affect weight gain and cecal cell proliferation in pigletsC Lawrence Kien
Children s Research Institute, and the Department of Pediatrics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 27:323-6. 2003..We addressed the hypothesis that normal weight gain and stool characteristics would occur during disaccharide malabsorption approximating 50% of intake...
- Effects of prefeeding a prebiotic on diarrhea and colonic cell proliferation in piglets fed lactuloseC Lawrence Kien
Children s Research Institute, Department of Pediatrics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 28:22-6. 2004..Severe lactulose malabsorption causes osmotic diarrhea and decreased cecal cell proliferation. We tested the hypothesis that prefeeding with inulin, a prebiotic, would attenuate these effects...
- In vivo lactose digestion in preterm infantsC L Kien
Department of Pediatrics, Ohio State University, Ohio State University Hospitals, Columbus, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 64:700-5. 1996..There was a significant inverse rank (r = -0.799, P < 0.01) and linear (r = -0.587, P < 0.05) correlation between this variable and postconceptional age. The percentage of lactose fermented averaged 35 +/- 27%...
- Evaluation of methods to assess physical activity in free-living conditionsN Y Leenders
Sport and Exercise Sciences Section, School of Physical Activity and Educational Services, Department of Statistics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 33:1233-40. 2001..The purpose of this study was to compare different methods of measuring physical activity (PA) in women by the doubly labeled water method (DLW)...
- Gender alters the effects of palmitate and oleate on fat oxidation and energy expenditureC Lawrence Kien
Department of Pediatrics, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:29-33. 2008..oleic acid (OA) in subjects participating in a previously described trial...
- Effects of the in vivo supply of butyrate on histone acetylation of cecum in pigletsC Lawrence Kien
Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont 05405, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 32:51-6. 2008..In vitro, butyrate inhibits histone deacetylase and down-regulates expression of cyclin D1. We hypothesized that an increased entry rate of butyrate into the cecal lumen would have similar effects in vivo...
- Effects of palmitate and oleate on the respiratory quotient during acute feedingC Lawrence Kien
Department of Pediatrics and Medicine, E203 Given Building, 89 Beaumont Avenue, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT 05405 0068, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 15:1640-2. 2007..Thus, we hypothesized that increasing PA vs. OA would decrease FA oxidation during the first day of feeding the diets...
- Lactulose feeding lowers cecal densities of clostridia in pigletsC Lawrence Kien
Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 31:194-8. 2007..Because clostridia may be a major source of colonic butyrate production, we hypothesized that feeding piglets lactulose or inulin would increase cecal densities of clostridia...
- Cecal infusion of butyrate increases intestinal cell proliferation in pigletsC Lawrence Kien
Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
J Nutr 137:916-22. 2007..Thus, intracolonic butyrate may enhance intestinal growth during infancy...
- Differential effects of dietary intake of palmitic acid and oleic acid on oxygen consumption during and after exerciseElisabet Børsheim
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, USA
Metabolism 55:1215-21. 2006..7% +/- 4.9% of preexercise V o(2) in OA, whereas there was no EPOC present in PA (P = .06 between diets). In conclusion, a high-PA diet appears to lower V o(2) during and after exercise compared with a high-OA diet...
- Short-chain fatty acids: ready for prime time?Claude C Roy
Ste Justine Hospital, 3175 Ste Catherine Road, Montreal, Quebec H3T 1C5, Canada
Nutr Clin Pract 21:351-66. 2006..The future lies with the design of studies to further explore basic mechanisms, and gene expression in particular, but emphasis should be placed on human intervention trials...
- Increased colonic luminal synthesis of butyric acid is associated with lowered colonic cell proliferation in pigletsC Lawrence Kien
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Medical Branch, USA
J Nutr 136:64-9. 2006..026) and was higher in L + I than in L (P = 0.013) or I (P = 0.046). The increased supply of butyrate to the cecum was associated with decreased cell proliferation, but cecal butyrate concentration did not reflect synthesis...
- Increasing dietary palmitic acid decreases fat oxidation and daily energy expenditureC Lawrence Kien
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Medical Branch and Shriners Hospital for Children, Galveston, TX, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 82:320-6. 2005..Oleic acid (OA) is oxidized more rapidly than is palmitic acid (PA)...
- Diarrhea in severely burned childrenKalpesh Thakkar
Shriners Burns Hospital, Texas, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 29:8-11. 2005..Our patients are fed a high-carbohydrate enteral formula. We hypothesized that diarrhea in our patients may be related to the osmotic effects of unabsorbed carbohydrate in the small intestine and colon...
- Cecal infusion of butyrate does not alter cecal concentration of butyrate in piglets fed inulinC Lawrence Kien
Department of Pediatrics and Medicine, College of Medicine, and the Office of Animal Care Management, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405 0068, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 32:439-42. 2008..As part of a larger study of the cellular effects of cecal infusions of butyrate, we sought to rule out the null hypothesis that cecal infusion of butyrate also would not alter butyrate concentration in the cecum...