Sahib S Khalsa
Affiliation: University of California
- Interoceptive awareness declines with ageSahib S Khalsa
Department of Neurology and Neuroscience Program, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
Psychophysiology 46:1130-6. 2009..These findings provide clear empirical evidence that interoception, much like exteroception and proprioception, declines with age...
- The pathways of interoceptive awarenessSahib S Khalsa
Department of Neurology and Neuroscience Program, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Nat Neurosci 12:1494-6. 2009..Instead, this awareness was mediated by both somatosensory afferents from the skin and a network that included the insula and ACC. Together, these pathways enable the core human experience of the cardiovascular state of the body...
- Preserved self-awareness following extensive bilateral brain damage to the insula, anterior cingulate, and medial prefrontal corticesCarissa L Philippi
Division of Behavioral Neurology and Cognitive Neuroscience, Department of Neurology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e38413. 2012..Our findings are compatible with the hypothesis that SA is likely to emerge from more distributed interactions among brain networks including those in the brainstem, thalamus, and posteromedial cortices...
- Interoceptive awareness in experienced meditatorsSahib S Khalsa
Neuroscience Graduate Program, Department of Neurology, University of Iowa, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Psychophysiology 45:671-7. 2008..These results provide evidence against the notion that practicing attention to internal body sensations, a core feature of meditation, enhances the ability to sense the heartbeat at rest...
- Bilateral limbic system destruction in manJustin S Feinstein
Department of Neurology, Division of Cognitive Neuroscience, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA, USA
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 32:88-106. 2010....