R S Kern
Affiliation: University of California
- Adapting social neuroscience measures for schizophrenia clinical trials, part 2: Trolling the depths of psychometric propertiesRobert S Kern
To whom correspondence should be addressed VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare Center MIRECC 210 A, Building 210, Room 116, 11301 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90073, US tel 310 478 3711, ext 49229, fax 310 268 4056, E mail
Schizophr Bull 39:1201-10. 2013..The other paradigms showed weaker psychometric characteristics in their current forms. These findings highlight challenges in adapting social neuroscience paradigms for use in clinical trials. ..
- A demonstration project involving peers as providers of evidence-based, supported employment servicesRobert S Kern
David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Psychiatr Rehabil J 36:99-107. 2013....
- Errorless learning for training individuals with schizophrenia at a community mental health setting providing work experienceRobert S Kern
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Schizophr Bull 35:807-15. 2009..There were no group differences on self-esteem, job satisfaction, or work stress. The findings provide modest support for the extensions of EL to community settings for enhancing work performance...
- The neurocognitive effects of aripiprazole: an open-label comparison with olanzapineRobert S Kern
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90073, and Zucker Hillside Hospital, North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, Glen Oaks, NY, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 187:312-20. 2006..Cognitive deficits are a core feature of schizophrenia. As a target of intervention, improvements in cognition may lead to improvements in functional outcome...
- Theory of mind deficits for processing counterfactual information in persons with chronic schizophreniaR S Kern
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Psychol Med 39:645-54. 2009..Particular difficulties might be expected in the processing of counterfactual information such as sarcasm or lies...
- Psychosocial treatments to promote functional recovery in schizophreniaRobert S Kern
Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System MIRECC 210 A, Building 210, Room 116, 11301 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Schizophr Bull 35:347-61. 2009..Overall, these treatments provide a range of promising approaches to helping patients achieve better outcomes far beyond symptom stabilization...
- Extensions of errorless learning for social problem-solving deficits in schizophreniaRobert S Kern
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute and Hospital, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Am J Psychiatry 162:513-9. 2005..However, errorless learning's applicability to broader, more complex functions is unknown. The present study tested the extension of errorless learning for deficits in social problem-solving skills in patients with schizophrenia...
- NIMH-MATRICS survey on assessment of neurocognition in schizophreniaRobert S Kern
UCLA Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Los Angeles, California, USA
Schizophr Res 72:11-9. 2004..This article presents the results of the pre-conference survey that was the first step in the RAND process towards development of the NIMH-MATRICS consensus battery to assess cognition in schizophrenia...
- Declarative and nondeclarative memory in schizophrenia: What is impaired? What is spared?Robert S Kern
David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 32:1017-27. 2010..Skill (procedural) learning and retention of learned, declarative verbal information across a delay appear intact, while all other areas measured appear impaired...
- The MCCB impairment profile for schizophrenia outpatients: results from the MATRICS psychometric and standardization studyRobert S Kern
UCLA Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90073, United States
Schizophr Res 126:124-31. 2011....
- Applications of errorless learning for improving work performance in persons with schizophreniaRobert S Kern
UCLA Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Am J Psychiatry 159:1921-6. 2002..The present study tested a training method called errorless learning (which theoretically compensates for neurocognitive impairments) for efficacy at teaching entry-level job tasks to persons with serious and persistent mental illness...
- The MATRICS Consensus Cognitive Battery, part 2: co-norming and standardizationRobert S Kern
Department of Psychology, Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles CA 90073, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:214-20. 2008..S. community sample with the battery administered as a unit...
- Does 'errorless learning' compensate for neurocognitive impairments in the work rehabilitation of persons with schizophrenia?R S Kern
UCLA Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences and Department of Veteran s Affairs VISN 22 Mental Illness Research Education and Clinical Center MIRECC, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Psychol Med 33:433-42. 2003..Procedures based on errorless learning may facilitate work rehabilitation because they effectively automate training of work and other skills, thereby reducing the cognitive burden on persons with schizophrenia...
- Development of a measure of relationship perception in schizophreniaMark J Sergi
Department of Psychology, California State University, Northridge, CA 91330 8255, USA
Psychiatry Res 166:54-62. 2009..The schizophrenia patients' performance on the RAD was moderately related to reading ability and several domains of community functioning...
- Perception of emotion and neurocognitive functioning in schizophrenia: what's the link?K S Kee
Department of Psychology, University of California, and West Los Angeles Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 90073, USA
Psychiatry Res 81:57-65. 1998..These findings implicate the importance of early perceptual processing (i.e. visual scanning) in the ability of schizophrenic individuals to perceive emotion...
- Risperidone versus haloperidol for perception of emotion in treatment-resistant schizophrenia: preliminary findingsK S Kee
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Schizophr Res 31:159-65. 1998....
- Learning potential and the prediction of work skill acquisition in schizophreniaMark J Sergi
Department of Psychology, California State University, 18111 Nordhoff Street, Northridge, CA 91330 8255, USA
Schizophr Bull 31:67-72. 2005..These findings indicate that measures of learning potential contribute to the prediction of work skill acquisition, going beyond the predictive power of single administration assessments...
- Does risperidone improve verbal working memory in treatment-resistant schizophrenia?M F Green
UCLA Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences 90024 1759, USA
Am J Psychiatry 154:799-804. 1997....
- The MATRICS Consensus Cognitive Battery, part 1: test selection, reliability, and validityKeith H Nuechterlein
Department of Psychology, UCLA Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, 300 Medical Plaza, Rm 2251, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6968, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:203-13. 2008....
- Bifactor and item response theory analyses of interviewer report scales of cognitive impairment in schizophreniaSteven P Reise
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Psychol Assess 23:245-61. 2011..This suggests that these interview-based measures of cognitive deficits could be shortened without loss of measurement precision...
- The Cognitive Assessment Interview (CAI): development and validation of an empirically derived, brief interview-based measure of cognitionJoseph Ventura
Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, United States
Schizophr Res 121:24-31. 2010....
- Approaching a consensus cognitive battery for clinical trials in schizophrenia: the NIMH-MATRICS conference to select cognitive domains and test criteriaMichael F Green
Neuropsychiatric Institute, Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
Biol Psychiatry 56:301-7. 2004..The results from this meeting constitute the initial steps for reaching a consensus cognitive battery for clinical trials in schizophrenia...
- Further support for the role of dysfunctional attitudes in models of real-world functioning in schizophreniaWilliam P Horan
VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, University of California, Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
J Psychiatr Res 44:499-505. 2010..These findings support the value of dysfunctional attitudes for understanding the determinants of outcome in schizophrenia and suggest that therapeutic interventions targeting these attitudes may facilitate functional recovery...
- Longitudinal studies of cognition and functional outcome in schizophrenia: implications for MATRICSMichael F Green
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, USA
Schizophr Res 72:41-51. 2004..These steps are apt to have important implications for clinical trials of cognition-enhancing agents in schizophrenia...
- Social cognitive skills training in schizophrenia: an initial efficacy study of stabilized outpatientsWilliam P Horan
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California, USA
Schizophr Res 107:47-54. 2009....
- Emotional intelligence in schizophreniaKimmy S Kee
Psychology Program, California State University Channel Islands, USA
Schizophr Res 107:61-8. 2009..D., Salovey, P., Caruso, D.R., 2002. Mayer-Salovey-Caruso Emotional Intelligence Test (MSCEIT): User's Manual. Multi-Health Systems, Inc., Toronto, Ontario)...
- Functional co-primary measures for clinical trials in schizophrenia: results from the MATRICS Psychometric and Standardization StudyMichael F Green
Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, UCLA, 300 Medical Plaza, Rm 2263, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6968, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:221-8. 2008..e., a co-primary) that is considered functionally meaningful. The goal of the current study was to describe steps to evaluate four potential co-primary measures for psychometric properties and validity...
- An "errorful" learning deficit in schizophrenia?Jay W Pope
Fuller Graduate School of Psychology, Pasadena, CA, USA
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 28:101-10. 2006..The findings implicate problems in the ability to self-correct and suggest that rehabilitation efforts incorporating errorless learning methods may benefit persons with schizophrenia...
- Cognitive rehabilitation for schizophrenia and the putative role of motivation and expectanciesDawn I Velligan
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, USA
Schizophr Bull 32:474-85. 2006..Although a number of current CR approaches address motivation to varying degrees, treating motivation as a primary target may be needed to maximize CR outcomes...
- A controlled trial of cognitive remediation in schizophreniaMark van der Gaag
Parnassia Research Center, Het Spectrum, The Hague, The Netherlands
Schizophr Bull 28:167-76. 2002..While cognitive training programs may improve targeted areas of neurocognitive processing, broad generalization effects to domains outside those targeted for intervention are not likely concomitants...
- Emotion Management Training (EMT) in persons with treatment-resistant schizophrenia: first resultsBettina Hodel
Schizophr Res 68:107-8. 2004
- Innovative Training Methods for Improving Work OutcomeRobert Kern; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Cognitive Rehabilitation and Work Outcome in SchizophreniaRobert S Kern; Fiscal Year: 2010..Training materials may need to be modified, obstacles within the workplace may need to be addressed, or cognitive training programs altered to better suit the needs of this clinical population. ..