C E Kaufman
Affiliation: University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
- Adolescent pregnancy and parenthood in South AfricaC E Kaufman
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, University North Pavilion, 4455 East Twelfth Avenue, AO11 13, Denver, CO 80220, USA
Stud Fam Plann 32:147-60. 2001..The support of the child, however, is often subject to paternal recognition and commitment, even though boys are unwilling to admit paternity because it jeopardizes their educational and employment opportunities...
- Within the hidden epidemic: sexually transmitted diseases and HIV/AIDS among American Indians and Alaska NativesCarol E Kaufman
American Indian and Alaska Native Programs, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Sex Transm Dis 34:767-77. 2007..To review the epidemiology, research, and prevention programs for sexually transmitted diseases in American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/ANs)...
- Culture, context, and sexual risk among Northern Plains American Indian YouthCarol E Kaufman
American Indian and Alaska Native Programs, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Soc Sci Med 64:2152-64. 2007..Youth encountered few economic or social recriminations for a teen birth. As such, cultural influences are important to American Indian sexual health and could be a key part of prevention strategies...
- Communities, opportunities, and adolescents' sexual behavior in KwaZulu-Natal, South AfricaCarol E Kaufman
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Mail Stop F800, Post Office Box 6508, Aurora, CO 80045 0508, USA
Stud Fam Plann 35:261-74. 2004..Greater participation in community sports increased risk-taking behaviors among boys but decreased them among girls. Within the household, education of adults had a positive effect on condom use for both boys and girls...
- Challenges in operationalizing the DSM-IV clinical significance criterionJanette Beals
American Indian and Alaska Native Programs, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Aurora 80045 0508, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 61:1197-207. 2004..The American Indian Service Utilization, Psychiatric Epidemiology, Risk and Protective Factors Project (AI-SUPERPFP) offered a unique opportunity to examine the success of this effort...
- Identifying diverse HIV risk groups among American Indian young adults: the utility of cluster analysisChristina M Mitchell
American Indian and Alaska Native Programs, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
AIDS Behav 8:263-75. 2004..Low Efficacy/High Risk had high rates of several high-risk behaviors such as exchanging sex for money or injection drug use. Validation analyses highlighted differences that can be useful for the development of preventive interventions...
- Racial disparities in alcohol use: comparison of 2 American Indian reservation populations with national dataJanette Beals
American Indian and Alaska Native Programs, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO, USA
Am J Public Health 93:1683-5. 2003
- Structure of HIV knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors among American Indian young adultsChristina M Mitchell
American Indian Program, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 14:401-18. 2002..Knowledge and attitudes were modestly related; neither was related to risk behaviors. Suggestions are made about interventions focusing on specific high-risk groups and broad-based knowledge and skill-based interventions...
- Methods for measuring utilization of mental health services in two epidemiologic studiesDouglas K Novins
American Indian and Alaska Native Programs, Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 17:159-73. 2008....
- Circle of life: rationale, design, and baseline results of an HIV prevention intervention among young American Indian adolescents of the Northern PlainsCarol E Kaufman
University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO, USA
Prev Sci 11:101-12. 2010..The project is well positioned to carry out the longitudinal assessments of the intervention to determine the overall impact of the Circle of Life and the differential impact by pre-intervention patterns of behavior across youth...
- Health-related quality of life and help seeking among American Indians with diabetes and hypertensionLuohua Jiang
Centers for American Indian and Alaska Native Health, Colorado School of Public Health, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045 0508, USA
Qual Life Res 18:709-18. 2009....
- Childhood exposure to adversity and risk of substance-use disorder in two American Indian populations: the meditational role of early substance-use initiationNancy Rumbaugh Whitesell
Centers for American Indian and Alaska Native Health, Colorado School of Public Health, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 70:971-81. 2009....
- Childhood abuse and later parenting outcomes in two American Indian tribesAnne M Libby
American Indian and Alaska Native Programs, University of Colorado Denver, School of Medicine, Denver, CO 80045 0508, USA
Child Abuse Negl 32:195-211. 2008..To examine the relationship of childhood physical and sexual abuse with reported parenting satisfaction and parenting role impairment later in life among American Indians (AIs)...
- Developmental trajectories of personal and collective self-concept among American Indian adolescentsNancy Rumbaugh Whitesell
University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, USA
Child Dev 77:1487-503. 2006..The findings highlight the complexity of self-concept for American Indian youth and the significance of both personal and collective identity...
- Pregnant or positive: adolescent childbearing and HIV risk in KwaZulu Natal, South AfricaNaomi Rutenberg
Population Council, Washington, DC, USA
Reprod Health Matters 11:122-33. 2003..The analysis suggests that for some adolescents, in addition to effects on educational and employment opportunities, the danger of HIV infection is becoming part of the calculus of the desirability of a pregnancy...