Affiliation: University of California
- Unmet need for mental health care among U.S. children: variation by ethnicity and insurance statusSheryl H Kataoka
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Research Center on Managed Care for Psychiatric Disorders, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Am J Psychiatry 159:1548-55. 2002..The authors use three national data sets and examine ethnic disparities in unmet need (defined as having a need for mental health evaluation but not using any services in a 1-year period) to provide such estimates...
- Effects on school outcomes in low-income minority youth: preliminary findings from a community-partnered study of a school-based trauma interventionSheryl Kataoka
University of California, Los Angeles 90024, USA
Ethn Dis 21:S1-71-7. 2011..To examine academic outcomes of a community-partnered school mental health intervention for students exposed to community violence...
- Responding to students with posttraumatic stress disorder in schoolsSheryl Kataoka
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Center for Health Services and Society, Semel Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, 10920 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 21:119-33, x. 2012..This article describes evidence-based treatments for posttraumatic stress disorder and outlines practical approaches to use in schools...
- The practice of evidence-based treatments in ethnic minority youthSheryl Kataoka
University of California Los Angeles, Jane and Terry Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, Center for Health Services and Society, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 19:775-89. 2010..However, this article highlights the need to deliver evidence-based practice, which is defined as the implementation of EBTs delivered with fidelity and with the integration of important cultural systems and community factors...
- Improving disaster mental health care in schools: a community-partnered approachSheryl H Kataoka
Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, UCLA Health Services Research Center, University of California Los Angeles, 10920 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles CA 90024 6523, USA
Am J Prev Med 37:S225-9. 2009..This community-partnered study explores post-disaster counseling services 10 months following Hurricane Katrina...
- Bridging the divide: in search of common ground in mental health and education research and policySheryl H Kataoka
Health Services Research Center, Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Semel Institute for Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Psychiatr Serv 60:1510-5. 2009..Persistent underfunding and fragmented fiscal support, however, render new approaches meaningless. If progress is to be made, new funding structures to support integrative educational and mental health practices are needed...
- Who gets care? Mental health service use following a school-based suicide prevention programSheryl Kataoka
UCLA Health Services Research Center, 10920 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 300, Los Angeles, CA 90024 6505, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 46:1341-8. 2007..To examine symptomatology and mental health service use following students' contact with a large urban school district's suicide prevention program...
- A community participatory research partnership: the development of a faith-based intervention for children exposed to violenceSheryl H Kataoka
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Ethn Dis 16:S89-97. 2006....
- A school-based mental health program for traumatized Latino immigrant childrenSheryl H Kataoka
University of California, Los Angeles, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 42:311-8. 2003..To pilot-test a school mental health program for Latino immigrant students who have been exposed to community violence...
- Datapoints: suicide prevention in schools: are we reaching minority youths?Sheryl H Kataoka
Health Services Research Center, University of California Los Angeles, 10920 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Psychiatr Serv 54:1444. 2003
- The Partnered Research Center for Quality Care: developing infrastructure to support community-partnered participatory research in mental healthElizabeth Lizaola
Center for Health Services and Society, University of California, Los Angeles Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, USA
Ethn Dis 21:S1-58-70. 2011..This article discusses the development and design of the Partnered Research Center for Quality Care and provides examples of partnerships that have been formed and the work that has been conducted as a result...
- Building an academic-community partnered network for clinical services research: the Community Health Improvement Collaborative (CHIC)Kenneth B Wells
RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, California, USA
Ethn Dis 16:S3-17. 2006....
- Racial/Ethnic disparities in the mental health care utilization of fifth grade childrenTumaini R Coker
Department of Pediatrics, Mattel Children s Hospital, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90024, USA
Acad Pediatr 9:89-96. 2009..The aim of this study was to examine racial/ethnic differences in fifth grade children's mental health care utilization...
- Risk and resilience in Latinos: a community-based participatory research studyRashmi Shetgiri
Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, University of California Los Angeles, CA, USA
Am J Prev Med 37:S217-24. 2009..A community-academic partnership used community-based participatory research principles to examine perceptions of resilience among Latino young people in low-income households...
- A mental health intervention for schoolchildren exposed to violence: a randomized controlled trialBradley D Stein
RAND, Santa Monica, Calif 90407, USA
JAMA 290:603-11. 2003....
- Datapoints: acceptability of asking parents about their children's traumatic symptomsKristin L Dean
RAND, 1700 Main Street, Santa Monica, California 90407, USA
Psychiatr Serv 55:866. 2004
- Violence exposure, posttraumatic stress disorder, and depressive symptoms among recent immigrant schoolchildrenLisa H Jaycox
RAND, Arlington, VA 22202 5050, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 41:1104-10. 2002..This study examines the rates of violence exposure and associated symptoms among recent immigrant children in Los Angeles...
- Active parental consent for a school-based community violence screening: comparing distribution methodsBradley D Stein
RAND Corporation, 4570 Fifth Avenue, Suite 600, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Sch Health 77:116-20. 2007....
- Quality Improvement of School Mental Health ServicesSheryl Kataoka; Fiscal Year: 2007..The overall goal of this career development award is for Sheryl Kataoka to develop expertise and research skills in order to independently pursue a research career focused on ..