Affiliation: University of Kentucky
- Commentary: choice--the need for a thorough and open discussion: implications for academic health centersMichael Karpf
University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Acad Med 87:691-3. 2012....
- Defining the role of University of Kentucky HealthCare in its medical market--how strategic planning creates the intersection of good public policy and good business practicesMichael Karpf
Health Affairs, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, USA
Acad Med 84:161-9. 2009..The clinical successes have led to academic gains. The experience of UK HealthCare suggests that good business practices and good public policy are synergistic...
- Commentary: Health care reform and its potential impact on academic medical centersMichael Karpf
Health Affairs, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536 0200, USA
Acad Med 84:1472-5. 2009..Change is inevitable. Being proactive rather than reactive may be important to secure the future of AMCs...
- Creating an integrated clinical enterprise at the University of Kentucky: the emergence of UK HealthCareMichael Karpf
University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536 0200, USA
Acad Med 82:1163-71. 2007..It was this corporate structure and senior management team which has proven to be an effective agent of change and a key to the successful development of a truly integrated clinical enterprise...
- The U.S. health care system is in crisis: implications for academic medical centers and their missionsRichard Lofgren
University of Kentucky Health Care, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40506, USA
Acad Med 81:713-20. 2006..Additionally, they must provide the leadership to foster the transition from an era of "managed care" to an era of "organized systems of care."..
- Commentary: Health care reform and primary care: training physicians for tomorrow's challengesT Shawn Caudill
UK HealthCare, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536 0284, USA
Acad Med 86:158-60. 2011....
- Commentary: Institutes versus traditional administrative academic health center structuresMichael Karpf
University of Kentucky, Lexington, USA
Acad Med 87:555-6. 2012..Because these new structures should lead to more successful clinical enterprises, they will, in fact, support the traditional academic missions of research and education more successfully than traditional organizational models can...
- The evolution of a Department of Internal Medicine under an integrated clinical enterprise model: the University of Kentucky experienceRobert T Means
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, Kentucky, USA
Acad Med 85:531-7. 2010....
- Challenges of becoming a regional referral system: the university of kentucky as a case studyRobert L Edwards
Mr Edwards is director, Strategic Initiatives, UK HealthCare, Lexington, Kentucky Dr Lofgren is senior vice president and chief clinical officer, UHC, Chicago, Illinois Mr Birdwhistell is vice president, Administration and External Affairs, UK HealthCare, Lexington, Kentucky Mr Zembrodt is director, Strategic Planning and Decision Support, UK HealthCare, Lexington, Kentucky Dr Karpf is executive vice president, Health Affairs, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky
Acad Med 89:224-9. 2014..Although the experience of any particular AMC is inherently unique, UK's journey provides a useful case study in establishing institutional goals, outlining a strategy, and identifying required resources. ..