Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Modifying residents' professional attitudes about substance abuse treatment and trainingM Karam-Hage
Department of Psychiatry and Alcohol Research Center, University of Michigan, 400 E Eisenhower Pkwy Suite 2A, Ann Arbor, MI 48108, USA
Am J Addict 10:40-7. 2001..A one-day educational intervention may be effective in improving professional attitudes toward addiction treatment by reinforcing previously acquired medical education. The duration of these changes remains to be determined...
- Unaided smoking cessation among smokers in treatment for alcohol dependenceMaher Karam-Hage
Nicotine Research Program, Univ of Michigan Department of Psychiatry, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Addict Behav 30:1247-53. 2005..These findings suggest that quitting smoking may be associated with low levels of nicotine dependence and favorable alcohol treatment response in alcoholic smokers...
- Smoking cessation delivered by medical students is helpful to homeless populationAndrew Spector
University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Acad Psychiatry 31:402-5. 2007..The authors pilot a smoking-cessation outreach for the homeless that extends medical students' tobacco cessation education...
- Open pilot study of gabapentin versus trazodone to treat insomnia in alcoholic outpatientsMaher Karam-Hage
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108, USA
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 57:542-4. 2003..Both groups improved significantly on the SPQ but the gabapentin group improved significantly more than the trazodone group. Controlled studies are warranted to replicate these findings...
- Pharmacotherapy for tobacco cessation: nicotine agonists, antagonists, and partial agonistsMaher Karam-Hage
Division of Cancer Prevention, Department of Behavioral Science, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1155 Pressler Street, CPB, Unit 1330, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Curr Oncol Rep 9:509-16. 2007..Our initial experience with varenicline has been encouraging. Bupropion has specific advantages for cancer patients, including increased energy, low risk for nausea, and decreased weight gain from quitting...