Affiliation: University of California
- Kalantar Zadeh K, Lee G, Miller J, Streja E, Jing J, Robertson J, et al. Predictors of hyporesponsiveness to erythropoiesis-stimulating agents in hemodialysis patients. Am J Kidney Dis. 2009;53:823-34 pubmed publisher..In long-term HD patients, low iron stores, hyperparathyroidism, and high-turnover bone disease are associated with significant ESA hyporesponsiveness. Prospective studies are needed to verify these associations. ..
- Kovesdy C, Kalantar Zadeh K. Back to the future: restricted protein intake for conservative management of CKD, triple goals of renoprotection, uremia mitigation, and nutritional health. Int Urol Nephrol. 2016;48:725-9 pubmed publisher..For the time being we recommend a DPI of 0.6-0.8 g/kgBW/day, and increasing this as needed on an individual basis in patients with PEW. Further examination of this dilemma in randomized controlled clinical trials will be necessary. ..
- Kalantar Zadeh K, Abbott K, Kronenberg F, Anker S, Horwich T, Fonarow G. Epidemiology of dialysis patients and heart failure patients. Semin Nephrol. 2006;26:118-33 pubmed
- Kalantar zadeh K, Kuwae N, Regidor D, Kovesdy C, Kilpatrick R, Shinaberger C, et al. Survival predictability of time-varying indicators of bone disease in maintenance hemodialysis patients. Kidney Int. 2006;70:771-80 pubmed
- Park J, Ahmadi S, Streja E, Molnar M, Flegal K, Gillen D, et al. Obesity paradox in end-stage kidney disease patients. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2014;56:415-25 pubmed publisher..These could include controlled trials of nutritional and pharmacologic interventions to examine whether gain in lean body mass or even body fat can improve survival and quality of life in these patients. ..
- Kalantar Zadeh K, Braglia A, Chow J, Kwon O, Kuwae N, Colman S, et al. An anti-inflammatory and antioxidant nutritional supplement for hypoalbuminemic hemodialysis patients: a pilot/feasibility study. J Ren Nutr. 2005;15:318-31 pubmed..8 g/dL, a marker of malnutrition-inflammation complex syndrome, is observed in approximately half of all maintenance hemodialysis (MHD) patients in the United States and is strongly associated with increased mortality...
- Kalantar Zadeh K, Gutekunst L, Mehrotra R, Kovesdy C, Bross R, Shinaberger C, et al. Understanding sources of dietary phosphorus in the treatment of patients with chronic kidney disease. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010;5:519-30 pubmed publisher..Provision of in-center and monitored meals during hemodialysis treatment sessions in the dialysis clinic may facilitate the achievement of these goals...