Affiliation: University of Illinois at Chicago
- The meaning of the survivor identity for women with breast cancerKaren Kaiser
University of Illinois at Chicago Cancer Center, Cancer Control and Population Sciences, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
Soc Sci Med 67:79-87. 2008..These findings illustrate the failure of our cultural conceptions of cancer to adequately reflect lived experience and highlight how individuals actively "craft" illness meanings...
- Protecting respondent confidentiality in qualitative researchKaren Kaiser
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Qual Health Res 19:1632-41. 2009....
- The import of trust in regular providers to trust in cancer physicians among white, African American, and Hispanic breast cancer patientsKaren Kaiser
Institute for Health Research and Policy, University of Illinois at Chicago UIC, 1747 W Roosevelt Rd, Suite 558, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
J Gen Intern Med 26:51-7. 2011..Interpersonal trust is an important component of the patient-doctor relationship. Little is known about patients' trust in the multiple providers seen when confronting serious illness...
- Misconceptions about breast lumps and delayed medical presentation in urban breast cancer patientsGarth H Rauscher
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, M C 923, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:640-7. 2010..Prompt medical attention to a new breast symptom can result in earlier stage at diagnosis, yet many patients delay seeking medical care after becoming aware of a breast symptom...
- Black women's awareness of breast cancer disparity and perceptions of the causes of disparityKaren Kaiser
Department of Medical Social Sciences, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, 625 N Michigan Avenue, Suite 2700, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Community Health 38:766-72. 2013....
- Are racial differences in patient-physician cancer communication and information explained by background, predisposing, and enabling factors?Clara Manfredi
Program for Cancer Control and Population Science, Institute for Health Research and Policy, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Health Commun 15:272-92. 2010..These differences persisted after controlling for all other factors. Future research should focus on the informational disadvantages of African American patients and how such disadvantages may affect cancer treatment decisions...