Affiliation: University of Utah
- Drugs of last resort? The use of polymyxins and tigecycline at US Veterans Affairs medical centers, 2005-2010Benedikt Huttner
VA Salt Lake City Health Care System and University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e36649. 2012..Polymyxin use in particular is associated with the presence of MDR Gram-negative pathogens and may be useful as a surveillance measure in the future...
- Long-term care facilities in Utah: a description of human and information technology resources applied to infection control practiceMakoto Jones
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Am J Infect Control 40:446-50. 2012..We assessed the IC human resources, IT infrastructure, and IC scope of practice at LTCFs in Utah...
- Identification of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus within the nation's Veterans Affairs medical centers using natural language processingMakoto Jones
VA Salt Lake City Health Care System, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 12:34. 2012..Assembling complete and correct microbiology data is vital to understanding and addressing the multiple drug-resistant organisms in our hospitals...
- Developing a manually annotated clinical document corpus to identify phenotypic information for inflammatory bowel diseaseBrett R South
VA Salt Lake City Health Care System, IDEAS Center, Salt Lake City, Utah 84148, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 10:S12. 2009..These tasks are time consuming, expensive, and require considerable effort on the part of human reviewers...
- Double trouble: how big a problem is redundant anaerobic antibiotic coverage in Veterans Affairs medical centres?Benedikt Huttner
VA Salt Lake City Health Care System, IDEAS Center, Salt Lake City, UT 84148, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 67:1537-9. 2012..To assess the prevalence of, and the variation in, avoidable use of metronidazole in the Veterans Affairs (VA) healthcare system..
- Parenteral to oral conversion of fluoroquinolones: low-hanging fruit for antimicrobial stewardship programs?Makoto Jones
IDEAS Center, VA Salt Lake City Health Care System, Salt Lake City, Utah 84148, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 33:362-7. 2012..To estimate avoidable intravenous (IV) fluoroquinolone use in Veterans Affairs (VA) hospitals...
- Antibiotic prescription practices for pneumonia, skin and soft tissue infections and urinary tract infections throughout the US Veterans Affairs systemBenedikt Huttner
IDEAS Center, VA Salt Lake City Health Care System and Division of Epidemiology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 68:2393-9. 2013..We aimed to describe patterns and variation in antibiotic management of three common infectious disease diagnoses in Veterans Affairs Medical Centers (VAMCs)...
- A simulation-based assessment of strategies to control Clostridium difficile transmission and infectionMichael A Rubin
Department of Internal Medicine, George E Wahlen Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Salt Lake City, Utah, United States of America Department of Internal Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e80671. 2013..Although "bundled" interventions have been proposed and promoted, optimal control strategies remain unknown...