Susan L Janson
Affiliation: University of California
- Biologic markers of airway inflammation in asthmaS Janson
Department of Community Health Systems, School of Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0608, USA
AACN Clin Issues 11:232-40. 2000..Treatment of asthma is directed at decreasing airway inflammation to gain long-term control of the disease...
- Objective airway monitoring improves asthma control in the cold and flu season: a cluster randomized trialSusan L Janson
School of Nursing, University of California, 2 Koret Way, San Francisco, CA 94143 0608, USA
Chest 138:1148-55. 2010..The purpose of this study was to improve inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) adherence and asthma control by cueing therapeutic communication between patients with asthma and their primary care clinicians...
- Improving chronic care of type 2 diabetes using teams of interprofessional learnersSusan L Janson
Department of Community Health Systems, University of California, San Francisco UCSF, San Francisco, California 94143 0608, USA
Acad Med 84:1540-8. 2009..To improve the care and outcomes of adult patients with type 2 diabetes by teaching interprofessional teams of learners the principles and practices of the Improving Chronic Illness Care Model...
- What nurses in primary care practices know about asthma care: results from a national surveySusan Janson
Department of Community Health Systems, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0608, USA
J Asthma 39:667-71. 2002..While there are reports of physician-related asthma care practices in the United States, there are few, if any, reports of nursing knowledge, attitudes, or beliefs about asthma care...
- Individualized asthma self-management improves medication adherence and markers of asthma controlSusan L Janson
Department of Community Health Systems, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0608, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 123:840-6. 2009..Whether self-management education improves long-term medication adherence is less clear...
- Asthma management across the life span: applications for the adult and older adultSusan L Janson
Department of Community Health Systems, University of California, San Francisco, 2 Koret Way, N505, San Francisco, CA 94143 0608, USA
Nurs Clin North Am 38:675-87. 2003..All health care professionals have an important role in controlling this common disease...
- A national survey of asthma knowledge and practices among specialists and primary care physiciansSusan Janson
Department of Community Health Systems, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0608, USA
J Asthma 41:343-8. 2004..With the advent of national asthma guidelines and the high prevalence of asthma seen in primary care settings, it is important to investigate the knowledge, attitudes, and practices of primary care physicians with regard to asthma...
- Barriers to patient-clinician collaboration in asthma management: the patient experiencePatricia A Newcomb
University of Texas at Arlington, School of Nursing, Arlington, Texas 76019, USA
J Asthma 47:192-7. 2010..To describe what adult patients with asthma report about their experiences with their own self-management behavior and working with their clinicians to control asthma...
- Effects of individual self-management education on clinical, biological, and adherence outcomes in asthmaSusan L Janson
Department of Community Health Systems, School of Nursing, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0608, USA
Am J Med 115:620-6. 2003..Asthma guidelines urge teaching patients the knowledge and skills required for self-management, based on the assumption that education will lead to improved skills and better asthma control...
- Predictors of asthma medication nonadherenceSusan L Janson
School of Nursing, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0608, USA
Heart Lung 37:211-8. 2008..The purpose of this study was to describe asthma medication adherence behavior and to identify predictors of inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) underuse and inhaled beta-agonist (IBA) overuse...
- Effect of culturally tailored diabetes education in ethnic minorities with type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysisSoohyun Nam
School of Nursing, Department of Health Systems and Outcomes, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205 2110, USA
J Cardiovasc Nurs 27:505-18. 2012..Ethnic minorities experience a disproportionate burden of diabetes; however, few studies have critically analyzed the effectiveness of a culturally tailored diabetes intervention for these minorities...
- Impact of exogenous glucocorticoid use on salivary cortisol measurements among adults with asthma and rhinitisUmesh Masharani
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, 94143 1222, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 30:744-52. 2005....
- Understanding how asthmatics perceive symptom distress during a methacholine challengeGrace E Hardie
Department of Nursing, The University of California at San Francisco, USA
J Asthma 39:611-8. 2002..This finding suggests that those subjects, the 44% who failed to associate a change in their symptoms with increased airflow obstruction, may be at risk for life-threatening episodes...
- What is faculty practice?Joanne M Saxe
Department of Community Health Systems, University of California San Francisco School of Nursing, 2 Koret Way, San Francisco, CA 94143 0608, USA
Nurs Outlook 52:166-73. 2004
- Impact of the home indoor environment on adult asthma and rhinitisPaul D Blanc
Department of Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94117, USA
J Occup Environ Med 47:362-72. 2005..We sought to study the combined effects of multiple home indoor environmental exposures in adult asthma and rhinitis...
- Meeting a primary care challenge in the United States: chronic illness careJoanne M Saxe
Adult Nurse Practitioner Program, Department of Community Health Systems, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Contemp Nurse 26:94-103. 2007..Future implications for community-based, chronic illness care delivery and the education of future health care providers with a focus on advanced practice nurses will also be discussed...
- Determinants of frequency, duration, and continuity of home walking in patients with COPDDorAnne Donesky
Department of Physiological Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Geriatr Nurs 32:178-87. 2011..These findings can be used to tailor exercise interventions to the specific needs of patients and improve the likelihood of consistent exercise participation...
- Processes of care for individuals with work related asthma: treatment characteristics and impact of asthma on workJulie L Roberts
University of California San Francisco, School of Nursing, Department of Community Health, USA
AAOHN J 52:327-37. 2004..049) during initial treatment. Twenty-four percent of clients currently working reported missed workdays caused by asthma in the past 6 months. The findings indicate management of WRA varies by health care system in California...
- Where do leukotriene modifiers fit in asthma management?Susan Janson
University of California, San Francisco, USA
Nurse Pract 27:19, 23-4, 26-9; quiz 30-1. 2002..Leukotriene modifiers, a newer drug class, add to the pharmacologic approaches to asthma management. Here, we review the role of leukotrienes in asthma pathogenesis and appropriate uses for leukotriene modifiers in asthma management...
- Factors associated with psychological insulin resistance in individuals with type 2 diabetesSoohyun Nam
University of California, San Francisco, School of Nursing, San Francisco, California, USA
Diabetes Care 33:1747-9. 2010..To describe the predictive relationships of selected sociodemographic, biomedical, and psychosocial variables to reluctance to use insulin among patients with type 2 diabetes...
- American Thoracic Society statement on research priorities in respiratory nursingJanet L Larson
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 174:471-8. 2006
- Effects of treatment on two types of self-efficacy in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseAmy H T Davis
College of Nursing, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721 0203, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 32:60-70. 2006..Studies in other domains of self-efficacy are needed...
- The burden of asthma in the United States: level and distribution are dependent on interpretation of the national asthma education and prevention program guidelinesAnne L Fuhlbrigge
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 166:1044-9. 2002..Inquiry into recent day or nighttime symptoms alone underestimates the burden of asthma and may lead to inadequate treatment of asthma based on national guideline recommendations...