M Mazen Jamal
Affiliation: University of California
- Declining hospitalization rate of esophageal variceal bleeding in the United StatesM Mazen Jamal
Division of Gastroenterology, Long Beach Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Long Beach, California 90822, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 6:689-95; quiz 605. 2008..In addition, our aims were to study the incidence trends of nonbleeding esophageal varices over the past 2 decades while studying hospitalization rates for cirrhosis over the same study period...
- Decreasing hospitalization and in-hospital mortality related to cholangitis in the United StatesM Mazen Jamal
Division of Gastroenterology, Veterans Affairs VA Medical Center, Long Beach, CA 90822, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 45:e92-6. 2011..The aim of this study was to determine trends in hospitalization rates and in-hospital mortality of cholangitis and also determine predictive factors of in-hospital mortality...
- Diabetes mellitus as a risk factor for gastrointestinal cancer among American veteransM Mazen Jamal
Division of Gastroenterology, Veterans Affairs VA Medical Center, 5901 E 7th St Long Beach, CA 90822, United States
World J Gastroenterol 15:5274-8. 2009..To assess the risk of biliary and pancreatic cancers in a large cohort of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM)...
- Decreasing in-hospital mortality for oesophageal variceal hemorrhage in the USAM Mazen Jamal
Division of Gastroenterology, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Long Beach, California 90822, USA
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 20:947-55. 2008..In addition, our aim was to study patient demographics and to identify risk factors for in-hospital mortality based on administrative data routinely collected in this population...
- African Americans with Barrett's esophagus are less likely to have dysplasia at biopsyJoe E Khoury
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Florida Jacksonville, Jacksonville, FL, USA
Dig Dis Sci 57:419-23. 2012..Barrett's Esophagus (BE) is a pre-malignant condition. Limited data on BE dysplasia prevalence exists among United States ethnic groups...
- Gender variation in oesophageal motor function: analysis of 129 healthy individualsKenneth J Vega
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Florida College of Medicine Jacksonville, Jacksonville, FL, USA
Dig Liver Dis 42:482-4. 2010..Oesophageal manometry is the standard for diagnosis of oesophageal motor disorders. Minimal data exist assessing the effect of gender on normal oesophageal manometry values...
- Changing pattern of esophageal cancer incidence in New Mexico: a 30-year evaluationKenneth J Vega
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Florida Health Science Center Jacksonville, Suite 300, Jacksonville, FL 32207, USA
Dig Dis Sci 55:1622-6. 2010..Recent work indicates an increase in Hispanic Americans (HA). It is important to understand the effect of ethnicity on cancer occurrence over a prolonged interval...
- Liver disease in alcohol and hepatitis CM Mazen Jamal
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, VA Medical Center, 5901 E Seventh Street 111, Long Beach, CA 90822, USA
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 17:649-62. 2003..Recent alcohol use decreases the response rate to interferon treatment. The detrimental effects of small amounts (3 or fewer drinks per day) of alcohol consumption in patients with hepatitis C are not known...
- Alcohol and hepatocellular carcinomaTimothy R Morgan
Gastroenterology Section, VA Medical Center, Long Beach, California, USA
Gastroenterology 127:S87-96. 2004..Alcohol use is increasing in many countries, suggesting that alcohol will continue to be a common cause of HCC throughout the world...
- Alcohol and hepatitis CM Mazen Jamal
Long Beach VA Medical Center and University of California, Irvine, Long Beach, CA 90822, USA
Dig Dis 23:285-96. 2005..Alcohol use and hepatitis C are prominent risk factors for liver injury and this review offers the current understanding of each factor's effects on liver disease...
- S100A4 in esophageal cancer: is this the one to blame?Jianyuan Chai
Laboratory of GI Injury and Cancer, VA Long Beach Healthcare System, Long Beach, CA 90822, United States
World J Gastroenterol 18:3931-5. 2012..Considering the fact that more than half of the cancer-related deaths are caused by malignancies derived from the digestive system and esophageal cancer is the 4th top contributor to this fraction, this study warrants more attention...
- Split-dosed MiraLAX/Gatorade is an effective, safe, and tolerable option for bowel preparation in low-risk patients: a randomized controlled studyJason B Samarasena
Department of Gastroenterology, Long Beach Veterans Affairs Healthcare System, Long Beach, CA 90822, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 107:1036-42. 2012..The primary aim of this study was to compare the efficacy, safety, and tolerability of single-dosed and split-dosed regimens of MiraLAX/Gatorade with Golytely for bowel preparation before colonoscopy...
- Incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma and associated risk factors in hepatitis C-related advanced liver diseaseAnna S Lok
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Gastroenterology 136:138-48. 2009..We evaluated the Hepatitis C Antiviral Long-Term Treatment Against Cirrhosis (HALT-C) cohort for the incidence of HCC and associated risk factors...
- Esophageal malignancy: A growing concernJianyuan Chai
Jianyuan Chai, Laboratory of Gastrointestinal Injury and Cancer, VA Long Beach Healthcare System, Long Beach, CA 90822, United States
World J Gastroenterol 18:6521-6. 2012..The high mortality and fast growth of esophageal cancer demand more vigorous efforts to look into its deeper mechanisms and come up with better therapeutic options...
- Second-generation antipsychotic exposure and metabolic-related disorders in patients with schizophrenia: an observational pharmacoepidemiology study from 1988 to 2002Christopher Reist
Long Beach VA Healthcare Systm, CA 90822, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 27:46-51. 2007..This is likely to significantly add to an already elevated risk for cardiovascular disease in this population. Further investigations are urgently required so that health policy can be appropriately amended for preventive measures...
- Lower esophageal sphincter pressure and distal esophageal body function between Hispanic Americans and non-Hispanic whites are equivalentKenneth J Vega
Division of Gastroenterology, University of New Mexico Health Science Center, Albuquerque, NM, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 41:141-4. 2007..The aim of this study was to obtain normal values of EM in adult Hispanic American (HA) volunteers and compare these with those obtained in non-Hispanic white (nHw) volunteers...
- Evolution of hepatic steatosis in patients with advanced hepatitis C: results from the hepatitis C antiviral long-term treatment against cirrhosis (HALT-C) trialAnna S Lok
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Hepatology 49:1828-37. 2009....
- Epidemiology of alcoholic liver diseaseSarathy Mandayam
Division of Gastroenterology, VA Medical Center, Long Beach, California, 90822, USA
Semin Liver Dis 24:217-32. 2004..A better understanding of the epidemiology of alcoholic liver disease will allow for improved diagnosis and management of this common problem...
- Cosegregation of gastrointestinal ulcers and schizophrenia in a large national inpatient discharge database: revisiting the "brain-gut axis" hypothesis in ulcer pathogenesisVural Ozdemir
Department of Preventive and Social Medicine, Bioethics Programs, Faculty of Medicine, University of Montreal, Montreal, QC
J Investig Med 55:315-20. 2007..Dopamine pathways warrant further prospective research as new potential drug targets in ulcer disease...
- The prevalence of pulmonary embolism and pulmonary hypertension in patients with type II diabetes mellitusMohammad Reza Movahed
Division of Cardiology, University of California, Irvine, Medical Center, Orange, 92868, USA
Chest 128:3568-71. 2005....
- Increased prevalence of third-degree atrioventricular block in patients with type II diabetes mellitusMohammad Reza Movahed
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Medical Center, University of California, Irvine, 101 The City Dr, Bldg 53, Rm 100, Orange, CA 92868 4080, USA
Chest 128:2611-4. 2005..In this study, we evaluated any possible association between DM and third-degree AV block using International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-9-CM) codes in a very large inpatient database...
- Increased prevalence of infectious endocarditis in patients with type II diabetes mellitusMohammad Reza Movahed
Department of Medicine, Section of Cardiology, University of Arizona Sarver Heart Center, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
J Diabetes Complications 21:403-6. 2007..However, there are controversial reports about DM association with infectious endocarditis (IE). We evaluated the occurrence of IE in DM patients compared to a matched control...
- Chronic hepatitis C with persistently normal aminotransferase levels: do we have an adequate definition?M Mazen Jamal
Am J Gastroenterol 98:1455-6. 2003
- Diabetes mellitus is a strong, independent risk for atrial fibrillation and flutter in addition to other cardiovascular diseaseMohammad Reza Movahed
Division of Cardiology, University of California, Irvine, Medical Center Department of Medicine, 101 The City Drive, Bldg 53, Rm 100, Orange, CA 92868, United States
Int J Cardiol 105:315-8. 2005..There is a controversy in literature about correlation between DM and atrial fibrillation. The goal of this study was to evaluate DM as a risk factor for atrial fibrillation or flutter using a very large database...