Affiliation: University of Pittsburgh
- The risk of Parkinson disease associated with urate in a community-based cohort of older adultsS Jain
Pittsburgh Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases, University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 3232, USA
Neuroepidemiology 36:223-9. 2011..Studies suggest an inverse association between urate concentration and the risk of Parkinson disease (PD). We investigated this in the Cardiovascular Health Study in an elderly community-based cohort of adults...
- Cardiovascular physiology in premotor Parkinson's disease: a neuroepidemiologic studySamay Jain
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Department of Neurology, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Mov Disord 27:988-95. 2012..Replication is needed in a population with more thorough ascertainment of PD onset...
- Cardiovascular dysautonomia in Parkinson disease: from pathophysiology to pathogenesisSamay Jain
Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 3471 Fifth Ave, Suite 811, Kaufmann Medical Building, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 3232, USA
Neurobiol Dis 46:572-80. 2012..This review updates the field of autonomic cardiovascular abnormalities in PD and related disorders, with emphasis on relationships among striatal dopamine depletion, sympathetic noradrenergic denervation, and alpha-synucleinopathy...
- Tetrabenazine therapy of pediatric hyperkinetic movement disordersSamay Jain
Department of Neurology, Movement Disorders Division, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Mov Disord 21:1966-72. 2006..When compared to adult patients, pediatric patients required higher doses. Side effects were similar to the adult population; however, children had a lower incidence of drug-induced Parkinsonism...
- Pupillary unrest correlates with arousal symptoms and motor signs in Parkinson diseaseSamay Jain
Movement Disorders Division, Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213 3232, USA
Mov Disord 26:1344-7. 2011..Arousal symptoms (e.g., sleepiness) are common in Parkinson's disease, and pupillary unrest (spontaneous changes in pupil diameter) is positively associated with sleepiness. We explored pupillary unrest in Parkinson's disease...
- Autonomic insufficiency in pupillary and cardiovascular systems in Parkinson's diseaseSamay Jain
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, PA, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 17:119-22. 2011..In Parkinson's disease (PD), neurodegenerative changes have been observed in autonomic pathways involving multiple organ systems. We explore pupillary and cardiac autonomic measures as physiological manifestations of PD neurodegeneration...
- Multi-organ autonomic dysfunction in Parkinson diseaseSamay Jain
Clinical Director, Movement Disorders Division, Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 3232, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 17:77-83. 2011..End-organ physiologic markers may be used to inform a model of PD pathophysiology and non-motor progression...
- Markers of inflammation in prevalent and incident Parkinson's disease in the Cardiovascular Health StudyThanh G N Ton
Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Box 359775, Harborview Medical Center, 325 Ninth Ave, Seattle, WA 98125, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 18:274-8. 2012..We assessed associations of baseline levels of inflammatory markers with prevalent PD at baseline (1989) and incident PD identified over 13 years of follow-up of the Cardiovascular Health Study...
- Olfactory dysfunction and parasympathetic dysautonomia in Parkinson's diseasePeter Kang
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Clin Auton Res 22:161-6. 2012..Olfactory impairment occurs early in Parkinson’s disease (PD), as may dysautonomia. We investigated the relationship between olfaction and dysautonomia as well as other non-motor manifestations of PD...
- Enhancing case ascertainment of Parkinson's disease using Medicare claims data in a population-based cohort: the Cardiovascular Health StudyThanh G N Ton
Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 23:119-27. 2014..We compared our results to the previous algorithm in terms of baseline prevalence and incidence of PD, as well as associations with baseline smoking characteristics...