Affiliation: University of Arizona
- The 160-kilobase genome of the bacterial endosymbiont CarsonellaAtsushi Nakabachi
Environmental Molecular Biology Laboratory, RIKEN, Wako, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Science 314:267. 2006..Genes for translation and amino acid biosynthesis are relatively well represented, but numerous genes considered essential for life are missing, suggesting that Carsonella may have achieved organelle-like status...
- Transcriptome analysis of the aphid bacteriocyte, the symbiotic host cell that harbors an endocellular mutualistic bacterium, BuchneraAtsushi Nakabachi
Environmental Molecular Biology Laboratory and Genome Science Laboratory, RIKEN, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:5477-82. 2005..Conspicuously high expression of ii and iii shed light on previously unknown aspects of the host-Buchnera interactions in the symbiotic system...
- Extraordinary proliferation of microorganisms in aposymbiotic pea aphids, Acyrthosiphon pisumAtsushi Nakabachi
Molecular Microbial Ecology Division, Bioscience Technology Center, RIKEN, The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research, Hirosawa 2 1, Wako Shi, 351 0198, Saitama, Japan
J Invertebr Pathol 82:152-61. 2003..Three had no phylogenetic association with known taxonomic divisions. None of the sequences studied in this study coincided exactly with those deposited in GenBank...
- Isolation and characterization of the bacteriophage WO from Wolbachia, an arthropod endosymbiontYukiko Fujii
Department of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, University of Tokyo, Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 317:1183-8. 2004..This bacteriophage is the only known mobile genetic element potentially used for transformation of Wolbachia...
- An experimental validation of orphan genes of Buchnera, a symbiont of aphidsSayaka Shimomura
Department of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1, Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 292:263-7. 2002..In view of codon usage and AT bias observed in these genes, it is likely that Buchnera have maintained them for an evolutionarily long time...
- Internal spatiotemporal population dynamics of infection with three Wolbachia strains in the adzuki bean beetle, Callosobruchus chinensis (Coleoptera: Bruchidae)Nobuyuki Ijichi
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology AIST, Tsukuba 305 8566, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:4074-80. 2002..On the basis of our results, we discuss interactions among the three coinfecting Wolbachia types, reproductive strategies of Wolbachia, and factors involved in the different cytoplasmic incompatibility phenotypes...